Voyager: Bali-Melbourne Xmas Cruise 2012

room010

I will post a full review when I've marshalled my thoughts and impressions but in the meantime here's a quick overview.

Overall it was a very enjoyable cruise and easily up to the high standards we've come to expect from Regent. The staff were friendly and professional and the many who joined Voyager in Bali quickly got "into the groove" after one or two minor glitches during the first couple of days. The ship is spotlessly clean and well maintained but some of the interior furnishings and fabrics are starting to look a bit tired in places, especially the public areas.

Capt John McNeil was in command and Paul Reynolds the CD. Both were much in evidence on formal occasions but I was disappointed not to see more of them "out and about" during the day. Paul always seemed to be in a rush to get somewhere else and Capt McNeil kept a pretty low profile. His 12 noon daily bulletins were informative but I wish he'd given us a quick weather forecast for the following day. Oh well, the Internet to the rescue again.....

One of the biggest disappointments was the very limited range of goods available in the shop. It's Christmas! People want to buy stuff! Where were the Australian pearls, opals, Argyll diamonds? Instead we got Ralph Lauren Polo shirts, a few evening tops, uninspiring handbags and Swarovski bling. A HUGE missed opportunity Regent!

The itinerary was somewhat unusual in that we sailed down the west coast of Australia and then east across the Great Australian Bight which did not live up to its rather fearsome reputation for rough weather. In fact we had very calm seas almost the whole way - our very own Christmas miracle! However, I don't think the geography and limited ports make Western Australia a suitable cruising destination as the few places we did visit and excursions on offer were extremely uninspiring, dare I say boring, apart from Fremantle/Perth. But this was effectively a repositioning cruise to NZ/Auckland and thence north up the east coast of Oz and on to Asia so Regent's options were limited.

The food was excellent in all dining venues, particularly Signatures, but I still remain unconvinced about the Sette Mari concept as it removes our option for an informal buffet dinner along the lines of La Veranda at lunchtime. The Sette Mari cuisine was very good but way too formal for anyone looking for a light supper. There was also a long queue of diners waiting patiently for so-called "Any Time Dining". We opted for room service as the only alternative and very good it was too but it lacks the ambiance of dining in a restaurant.

Christmas Day at sea was a hoot! Lots of fun activities throughout the ship in which both passengers and crew were enthusiastic participants. Everyone had a ball.

Evening entertainment was a bit hit and miss but we didn't catch every show so maybe I'm being unfair. I admit we'd never heard of any of the "headline" acts but we aren't very clued up about Aussie showbiz types in the first place so its probably our problem not theirs.

I have to say the overall demographic was rather older than on previous Regent cruises and many seemed to be suffering from a nasty, chesty cough which I have now acquired despite scrupulous hygiene precautions. Grrrrrr. Antibiotics from the ships doctor and $500 later (insurance will cover) I'm feeling much better. Please, if you're obviously unwell PLEASE quarantine yourself in your cabin rather than share your germs with the rest of us?

I'll leave it at that for now but I know there were some other CC regulars on board so maybe they'll chime in too. I will post a full review in due course.

room010, Thank you so much for your review. You were in the area of the world we're heading to and are so looking forward to our experience on Voyager. How were the excursions?

Glad to hear your comments about Paul. After seeing his video DW is totally psyched:)

The food was excellent in all dining venues, particularly Signatures, but I still remain unconvinced about the Sette Mari concept as it removes our option for an informal buffet dinner along the lines of La Veranda at lunchtime. The Sette Mari cuisine was very good but way too formal for anyone looking for a light supper. There was also a long queue of diners waiting patiently for so-called "Any Time Dining". We opted for room service as the only alternative and very good it was too but it lacks the ambiance of dining in a restaurant.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this cruise. I am a little puzzled about your food comments. Surely you never had the option of a buffet dinner in the old Veranda. Unless you stuck with the cold antipasti. And was there a long queue of diners waiting patiently every night in Compass Rose?

To me, Sette mare is just an updated version of la veranda, but basically the same concept. You get your antipasti from the buffet, then order your mains from the waiter, then get dessert from the buffet. Same deal. More choices on the menu is really the only difference.

To me, Sette mare is just an updated version of la veranda, but basically the same concept. You get your antipasti from the buffet, then order your mains from the waiter, then get dessert from the buffet. Same deal. More choices on the menu is really the only difference.

Though I haven't yet experienced it, that is my take also. But the popularity of it suggests it is what peple want.

How's the Puerto Rico holiday, Rachel?

When it comes to Sette Mari I know I'm in the minority so let's not get into another debate we'll never agree on! The food and service are excellent, I just don't care for the inflexible way it's delivered :o As for queues at Compass Rose we never saw one, but we tend to dine earlier than many (around 7pm) so maybe people who turn up later have to wait.

As for the excursions I think it's important to bear in mind that apart from Fremantle/Perth on the west coast, and Adelaide on the south coast (where this cruise didnt stop) there really are very few ports for cruise ships to visit and those that do exist are very small and isolated with limited opportunities for excursions. It's a geographical problem more than anything else and there isn't much Regent can do about that. There is also the logistical challenge of providing the necessary infrastructure, transportation, guides, etc for up to 700 people which in some cases is double the town's population! This cruise included many sea days which was one of the main attractions for us, but if you are hoping for a new port every day then this itinerary probably isn't for you. Instead, pick Melbourne, Tasmania, NZ and then up the Australian east coast starting with Sydney.

I lived Western Australia for 20 years and know the area well; I've also been to Kangaroo Island for a memorable holiday. Certainly Exmouth and Geraldton are not cruise destinations in the normal sense and I was surprised Regent visited them - they are functioning towns with smallish tourist industries only. The short stops Regent has are not really long enough for a passengers to see the natural gems that are accessible - Ningaloo Reef for Exmouth is a Regent Choice tour and worth a visit, beautiful Kalbarri from Geraldton is nearly a 2 hour drive each way - but the wrong time of the year to visit. No wildflowers, just as hot as Hades. On Kangaroo Island Seal Bay (again a Regent's Choice excursion) is worth a visit, but the real beauty of the island (say Flinders Chase National Park), just cannot be done in the short stops and the remainder of the island whilst producing lovely produce - is just not as scenic. So I can understand that a well travelled passenger would think them dull. They're not dull when you look further, but that requires time. Broome is more tourist focused and a more predictable stop, so it seems odd it's not on the schedule.

.............many seemed to be suffering from a nasty, chesty cough which I have now acquired despite scrupulous hygiene precautions. Grrrrrr................Please, if you're obviously unwell PLEASE quarantine yourself in your cabin rather than share your germs with the rest of us?....

FYI the "Cough" was all over the Navigator too on the Amazon voyage that ended on Dec 18. Everyone back at home here in SoCal has it too. It lasts for weeks.

Best New Years wishes.

j

29/402

Though I haven't yet experienced it, that is my take also. But the popularity of it suggests it is what peple want.

How's the Puerto Rico holiday, Rachel?

Puerto Rico is great, Tom. But not as good as regent. Seriously, we spent the entire day at el yunque hiking which was amazing, and so much more than we would have done on the cruise ship tour. But nickel and diming everywhere drives me crazy.

Archived