Can I have breakfast on the balcony?

marypa

One of the great things abour Princess was having an early breakfast on the balcony, taking in the morining sun.

Can we do this on the Marina, and is it full service or only continental?

And any other tips for a new traveller to Oceania?

Do they have a Chelfs table for a fee and a few guests?

Thanks

One of the great things abour Princess was having an early breakfast on the balcony, taking in the morning sun.

Can we do this on the Marina, and is it full service or only continental?

And any other tips for a new traveller to Oceania?

Do they have a Chelfs table for a fee and a few guests?

Thanks

Whether your breakfast in your cabin is full service or continental depends on your cabin category. If you are in Category A (also called Concierge) or above, you will get a full service menu. If you are in Category B or below, it is a Continental breakfast menu.

Either can be enjoyed in your cabin. If you want it on your balcony, the room service water will do hs best to accommodate you. However, in my opinion (others will report their experience), the standard verandas in Categories B and A are too small to dine outside. The balcony "table" is tiny and low, more of a foot stool. It would require significant shuffling of furniture, and the balcony is too narrow to allow much movement once a larger table is placed outside.

Frankly, even most of the Penthouse balconies are too narrow, n my opinion, to maneuver around a table f they manage to get one set up.

On Marina and Riviera, If you are in one of the B3 cabins on Deck 7 with an extended balcony, or one of the 4 Penthouses on Deck 7 with an extended balcony, or in any of the "OVO" (Owners, Vista or Oceania) suites, there s room to maneuver, but even they don't all have the furniture in place. On the smaller ships, only the Owners and Vista suites offer much of an opportunity, again in my opinion.

Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that the only time we consider breakfast in the cabin is when we have a very early tour and are pressed for time. Otherwise, we'd much rather have breakfast in the Grand Dining Room, or if the weather is nice and we want to breakfast outside, we'd try to get a table on the aft outside terrace at the Terrace buffet. That's especially true if we are not in Concierge or above, because we want more than a Continental breakfast. All the folderol about setting up breakfast on the balcony would simply take too much time for us.

Forgot to comment on the Chef's Table -- Lynn is correct that one such possibility is La Reserve on Marina and Riviera, as it has special chef's menus. However, it is also a wine pairing dinner in conjunction with Wine Spectator magazine, and has 3 rectangular tables for 8 each, totalling 24.

On the other hand, also on Riviera and Marina, there is Privee, a private dining room for 8 to 10 people (or less), available for a room rental fee of $250. The menu is not all that special, a mix or match combination from either Polo or Toscana specialty restaurants, but the service is outstanding, and it is a wonderful spot for a special evening with just a few friends. The main objection I have heard to Privee is that the decor is too "stark white", but I find the red carpet, table inset and art to be a striking contrast.

Privee:

ship-riviera-photo-2.jpg

La Reserve:

ship-riviera-photo-9.jpg

That's great to hear they do have a wine pairing session in a small group - can this be booked in advance or only on the ship?

And a private dining evening on new years eve sounds good too.

We have one of the large balcony's on deck 7 and so can enjoy breakfast al fresco - we will have an early continental and then have a nibble in one of the main restaurants

Whether your breakfast in your cabin is full service or continental depends on your cabin category. If you are in Category A (also called Concierge) or above, you will get a full service menu. If you are in Category B or below, it is a Continental breakfast menu.

Either can be enjoyed in your cabin. If you want it on your balcony, the room service water will do hs best to accommodate you. However, in my opinion (others will report their experience), the standard verandas in Categories B and A are too small to dine outside. The balcony "table" is tiny and low, more of a foot stool. It would require significant shuffling of furniture, and the balcony is too narrow to allow much movement once a larger table is placed outside.

Frankly, even most of the Penthouse balconies are too narrow, n my opinion, to maneuver around a table f they manage to get one set up.

On Marina and Riviera, If you are in one of the B3 cabins on Deck 7 with an extended balcony, or one of the 4 Penthouses on Deck 7 with an extended balcony, or in any of the "OVO" (Owners, Vista or Oceania) suites, there s room to maneuver, but even they don't all have the furniture in place. On the smaller ships, only the Owners and Vista suites offer much of an opportunity, again in my opinion.

Perhaps my opinion is colored by the fact that the only time we consider breakfast in the cabin is when we have a very early tour and are pressed for time. Otherwise, we'd much rather have breakfast in the Grand Dining Room, or if the weather is nice and we want to breakfast outside, we'd try to get a table on the aft outside terrace at the Terrace buffet. That's especially true if we are not in Concierge or above, because we want more than a Continental breakfast. All the folderol about setting up breakfast on the balcony would simply take too much time for us.

Hi Don,

You and I almost never disagree but we part ways on Breakfast on the balcony..I always have breakfast on the balcony when weather permits no matter what the size of the veranda cabin I am in or what Oceania ship I am on..LOVE my morning coffee and roll in the warm sun and looking at the beautiful water passing by..for me this is the special way to start my day..

Jancruz1

That's great to hear they do have a wine pairing session in a small group - can this be booked in advance or only on the ship?

You can book both Privee & la Reserve in advance either by phone or online under "Already Booked"

Payment required at the time of booking

Enjoy the balcony ..they are great ;)

lyn

We have one of the large balcony's on deck 7 and so can enjoy breakfast al fresco - we will have an early continental and then have a nibble in one of the main restaurants

View of a B3 extended balcony: we ate & napped on the balcony!

b_084548.jpg

Great picture - thanks - but we can't work out where you were - at the stern? We are 717 so not quite as good as yours

And I will ask for loungers too

Breakfast on the balcony is the best bit of the day for us - impossible in the Uk in January

Great picture - thanks - but we can't work out where you were - at the stern? We are 717 so not quite as good as yours

They are the ones that overlook the lifeboats

others are not open on 2 sides only at the end

Breakfast on the balcony is the best bit of the day for us - impossible in the Uk in January

This is Cabin #7111, first of the B3 extended balconies, the other B3 aft balconies are closed on both sides.

This is Cabin #7111, first of the B3 extended balconies, the other B3 aft balconies are closed on both sides.

Excuse my ignorance, please, but we're booked in cabin 7119 on an April cruise which is shown as a B4 on the interactive deck plan, as is 7111. What am I missing?

Excuse my ignorance, please, but we're booked in cabin 7119 on an April cruise which is shown as a B4 on the interactive deck plan, as is 7111. What am I missing?

I believe starting with the new itineraries (I think Nov 2013) the Categories are rearranged so the larger balcony cabins B4 will become B3's

Some of the other cabin Cat are also changed

Someone might be able to confirm the exact date

Here is the discussion

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1721824

Lyn

My TA told me about the larger balconies and he had to ring Oceania as they are still listed as B4 but are B3 from October so its tricky trying to reserve one

Lucky you to get 7111 - its the TOP cabin. It had already gone when we booked! We had to be starboard as we are going across the Pacific and wanted the sun and the big balcony.

Its funny that there are these little tips that you don't know about. Princess's Caribe deck was the same and, if you knew, you booked a cabin on Caribe for the double size balcony

Breakfast on the balcony is almost a deal breaker for us! We upgraded to get the cooked breakfast and while in our Penthouse room it was not on the balcony as such, the doors were open and the table was right there to enjoy the view. Best part of our cruise, wake up call by the butler and breakfast looking at the wonderful views.

Obviously on a cruise with lots of sea days I would prefer breakfast later in the dining area. I can't wait until we go on another cruise!!!

This photo shows our typical breakfast - not as good as on the balcony but not bad :)

2qc1ls7.jpg

We upgraded on Celebrity so we could have a full breakfast on the balcony, but the balcony wasn't big enough!

Its a real challenge to get it exectly right, but the big balcony does it for me - a light continental early outside and then down to the dining room for the full works later

We didn't really like Celebrity much (food and too big for us)and are hoping that Oceania is better

Archived