Cleaniness of gem?

bayclub

Planning a trip in January 2013 on the Gem. (first time) However, I've heard some news from friends that there was a virus going on. How does the Cruise Line avoids or takes care of their passengers? And if one gets ill, do you have to pay the "doctor". Other than constant washing of hands, is the buffet food "safe". :confused:

Planning a trip in January 2013 on the Gem. (first time) However, I've heard some news from friends that there was a virus going on. How does the Cruise Line avoids or takes care of their passengers? And if one gets ill, do you have to pay the "doctor". Other than constant washing of hands, is the buffet food "safe". :confused:

We got on the GEM on 12/13 and the cruise before ours did have some issues. Norwegian started our cruise out with caution....extra sanitary measures, encouraging the washy-washy, public restrooms had doors propped open, condiments removed from the tables in restaurants, and extra staff serving in the buffet. By day 3 of our cruise they hadn't had any new cases on the ship and things went back to normal. The ship does a great job with sanitizing public spaces, including the ink pens they give you to sign receipts. In 26 cruises with Norwegian we've never had to see the doctor, so I can answer your question about the doctor....but I imagine cruise/trip insurance might cover those fees.

Over all it's very very nice. I will say this. The lounge with the bowling alleys....watch out for the couches lol. One night we were up there for kareoke and I kept smelling vomit. It was a horrible smell. HORRIBLE. I Finally moved my seat when one opened up. The next day when we went back I figured whatever it was would be gone. I moved a pillow and...welll THERE IT WAS! lol Keep your eyes and nose open lol

Things can happen on any ship. There was a virus earlier in December. Overall, you will see the Gem has scored extremely well every time is has a CDC inspection. Problems occur when passengers bring on sickness by lying on their health form, don't wash their hands after using the restroom, don't practice preventative measures etc.

Cruise Ship Cruise Line Date Score

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 11/16/2012 93 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 4/24/2012 97 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 10/9/2011 100 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 6/26/2011 97 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 11/22/2010 100 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 1/3/2010 99 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 11/29/2008 98 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 4/7/2008 96 All Scores Report Corrective Report

Norwegian Gem Norwegian Cruise Lines 1/19/2008 100 All Scores Report Corrective Report

I think Norwegian does an exception job controlling noro. Cruise ships report all cases of norovirus (stomach virus) including zero cases to the CDC. When 3% or more passengers fall ill, that ship is listed on the CDC website. Norovirus is common wherever you encounter people who don't wash their hands after using the restroom (ummm like everywhere not just cruise ships).

In 2012, Norwegian had no such cases listed on the CDC website. While Princess has nearly half of the cases (over half if you include Carnival and P&O which are all owned by Carnival Corporation)

Here's the list http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

The best thing to protect yourself is washing your hands for at least 30 seconds each time before eating, avoid touching your face, using towels to open bathroom doors, etc. Thorough hand washing is more effective than hand sanitizer. Many people don't even use hand sanitizer properly or in sufficient quantity.

I was on the same cruise 12/13 and believe the measures they took were preventative. My understanding was that the extra steps took during the first few days (having the buffet staff hand out plates and utensils, and serve food at all stations) were preventative and to allow them to monitor passenger health for the first few days. After there were no signs of widespread "gastrointestinal disturbances", they resumed normal buffet service. They also take such measures after sharing cruise terminals with other ships that report problems.

Over all it's very very nice. I will say this. The lounge with the bowling alleys....watch out for the couches lol ... I moved a pillow and...welll THERE IT WAS! lol Keep your eyes and nose open lol
Wow, thank you for sharing and that sounded nasty but, I surely hope that you reported your surprised finding to the crew onboard while you're sailing to avoid making matters worst & spare others of finding it - and not just walked away & just come back here to post about it.

We cannot "police" what others do and don't - our own best defense is to take preventive measure with proper hand wash and carry/use our own hand sanitizer on the go to minimize the exposure risks, and, follow common sense - it's more than just GI or Norovirus ... just saying. ;)

Wow, thank you for sharing and that sounded nasty but, I surely hope that you reported your surprised finding to the crew onboard while you're sailing to avoid making matters worst & spare others of finding it - and not just walked away & just come back here to post about it.

Obviously I reported it, hense my disgust when I saw it was still there the following day.

- i'm just sayin ;)

You can get a virus from the grocery cart handle in your local store. Does that stop you from grocery shopping? No. You use a disinfecting wipe before you move on. You can get sick from a visit to a doctor's office...

"Cautionary measures" does not mean there was an issue. It means just that. Cautionary measures. Put several thousand people, many of whom board with flu or a stomach virus (and who would actually admit to that?) in a floating box for several days and of course some may get sick.

I really wish people would look at the overall picture before creating panic. Loose lips sink ships.

And yes, you would need to pay the ship doctor .. Unless somehow it is proven that NCL "caused"the virus (for example served tainted food etc) and the chances of that happening are slim. Their sanitary standards are high and monitored. Did they miss finding the vomit? Yes. Well ... %%^* happens. Or in this case, vomit. It caused a smell and was nasty, but the chances of it making anyone other than the person who had to clean it up get sick... Are minimal.

Get real everyone. Get insurance, be practical or stay home.. You may over have to shrink wrap your home ....

You can get a virus from the grocery cart handle in your local store. Does that stop you from grocery shopping? No. You use a disinfecting wipe before you move on. You can get sick from a visit to a doctor's office...

"Cautionary measures" does not mean there was an issue. It means just that. Cautionary measures. Put several thousand people, many of whom board with flu or a stomach virus (and who would actually admit to that?) in a floating box for several days and of course some may get sick.

I really wish people would look at the overall picture before creating panic. Loose lips sink ships.

And yes, you would need to pay the ship doctor .. Unless somehow it is proven that NCL "caused"the virus (for example served tainted food etc) and the chances of that happening are slim. Their sanitary standards are high and monitored. Did they miss finding the vomit? Yes. Well ... %%^* happens. Or in this case, vomit. It caused a smell and was nasty, but the chances of it making anyone other than the person who had to clean it up get sick... Are minimal.

Get real everyone. Get insurance, be practical or stay home.. You may over have to shrink wrap your home ....

If someone is so worried about germs, they would live in a ball of shrink wrap at home. The ships are cleaned better than most of your friends homes, but no one knows how clean the passengers are. Think they aren't, and respond accordingly.

If someone is so worried about germs, they would live in a ball of shrink wrap at home. The ships are cleaned better than most of your friends homes, but no one knows how clean the passengers are. Think they aren't, and respond accordingly.

??? I am not sure why you quoted me as if you are appearing to disagree ... ? My post says exactly what you are saying which is don't blame the ship ...

??? I am not sure why you quoted me as if you are appearing to disagree ... ? My post says exactly what you are saying which is don't blame the ship ...

Where is it stated one cannot agree with a person you quote on a web page forum? Quoting a person doesn't necessarily mean you disagree.

First of all, there is no way to totally control the spread of Noro Virus.Every single line has some problems, but NCL ships rate at the top for cleanliness. The best you can hope for, is anyone who has the virus will not sail, but that is wishful thinking...The cruise lines do a lot to protect the passengers; not only washy, washy, but they wipe down the menues, they use disposable salt and pepper, they dish the buffet food up if there is a virus reported on board and no, they do not charge for visiting the health center. The will quaranteen sick people for 24 to 48 hours.

Where is it stated one cannot agree with a person you quote on a web page forum? Quoting a person doesn't necessarily mean you disagree.

I apologize from your post, and using my post to reply on, i presumed you were addressing ME and replying to MY post and not the OP or other posts, and was confused since you seemed to be saying the same as me.

To OP & others new to cruising and concerned about health risks associated with Norovirus, as others said, be realistic and recognized that it is a common illness that affect millions every year, around the globe - there is no preventive vaccine and no treatment for it - but, you will likely survived it. A few days of bed rest and isolation (quarantined or confined to the cabin ... thus, many pax tried to hide & not report/go to see the ship's medical staff) and one will recover - of course, the risks of spreading & infecting others knowingly & unknowingly remained for 3 days after symptoms disappeared. And, you could be exposed to Noro and not feel sick for up to 3 days later.

Noro as a GI illness easily breakout & spread in closed quarters and institutional settings like day care facilities, schools, hospitals, long-term care homes and cruise ships (which often unfairly get lots of media attention) - cruiselines like NCL do an excellent job, and, with first-hand knowledge and training on infection control measures, I have no problems whatsoever in sailing the Gem again or any ships in the fleet - seeing & understanding the issues involved.

I would be more concerned about the common flu (it's a "bad" season this year) and especially the Avian flu (which, thankfully, hasn't resurfaced itself since 2003-5 ... but, we continued to sail in those days.) Borrowing another popular phrase used in NYC from Homeland Security, "if you see something, say something and call ... informed the authorities"

FYI, Carnival's luxury liner division has been impacted by Noro, almost 200 pax and 11 crew members on the QM2 had been sicked by it and reported to CDC - the illness could've been picked up by someone sailing from England and spread on the TA sailing ... http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/28/us-cruise-qm2-outbreak-idUSBRE8BR0LR20121228

Viruses and bacterias do not discriminate. To learn more about Noro - "google" is your friend. Happy New Year 2013 & to more cruising :D

I was one of the unfortunate ones to get the Noro Virus on the Gem a few years ago. I was aware the illness was widespread that year not only at sea but on land as well so I was very careful and the "washy-washy" man was my best friend on the ship. On the night that I got sick, I did report it and a crew was sent to my cabin to clean and disinfect. They literally washed and sprayed the walls of my cabin, I mean every inch of it. This ship was being cleaned constantly, NCL took all of the proper precautions but some of the passengers did not. I saw people leaving the ladies room without washing their hands, I saw a women taste the salad dressing at the buffet and put the ladle back in the dressing and my pet peeve people filling used water bottles at the buffet. My point, the cruise line doesn't want the illness onboard, they do everything humanly possible to prevent the spread but they cant make people wash their hands when leaving the restroom or to use proper courtesy at the buffet. I didn't blame anyone really, I could have gotten the virus if I were home shopping at the supermarket.

My family and I were on the Dec. 4 cruise with the "outbreak". The crews and staffs of the GEM were great. More work for them but it was better for everybody, including themselves. This can happen to any ship. There was a report on Queen Mary 2 recently as well. We had our own hand sanitizor placed on the stand next to our door. We sanitize our hands before we go out and as soon as we come back to our room.

The ship is clean.

Just got off the Gem, 12/22 sailing, and other than trying to make sure that everyone sanitized their hands before entering the buffet or coming aboard there was no extra measures being taken. As stated Noro virus can happen anytime and anywhere and washing your hands may not be enough if the food itself is contaminated. Most of the time people think they have food poisoning but it is really Noro virus.

If you are worried purchase some Wet Ones wipes and carry them around with you. We found some in convenient single wipe packaging. Very handy when going on excursions off the ship.

I know when we were being asked to leave the Garden Cafe (buffet) area during disembarkation on Monday the crew was mentioning fogging the area as to why we had to leave so they take germ control very seriously.

Archived