Tipping in addition to added gratuity

Smitheroo

- and all I know is that our waiters were VERY good and also VERY VERY keen to receive "EXCELLENT" ratings on the survey that they ask us to fill out at the end of the cruise - and also seemed VERY VERY keen to have their next cruise contract confirmed.

Everything in this life of ours is relative and not absolute - so what appears to be a very low remuneration for us may not be for others . I am also certain that Paris Hilton cannot understand at all how I can manage to survive on my measly small fortune.

Barry

That's the best bit of common sense I have heard about this subject. I have found the same, fine waiters who value the excellents so highly and obviously want that next contract.

David.

We have just come off an RCI cruise - where they have a "recommended" gratuity charge which you can ask them to put onto your daily account (compulsory for "Anytime dining) or not. We chose to "tip" our waiters by cash.

I have read a million posts of what happens, what should happen, what may or may not happen regarding staff remuneration and gratuities etc - and all I know is that our waiters were VERY good and also VERY VERY keen to receive "EXCELLENT" ratings on the survey that they ask us to fill out at the end of the cruise - and also seemed VERY VERY keen to have their next cruise contract confirmed.

Everything in this life of ours is relative and not absolute - so what appears to be a very low remuneration for us may not be for others . I am also certain that Paris Hilton cannot understand at all how I can manage to survive on my measly small fortune.

Barry

You always speak directly Barry, shame a few more on here cant or wont, but your 100%.

I have said before as well that they all have amazing cameras and Ipad and I phones too.

I like the way RCL do the tipping , its a fair way:)

A few years ago on a Princess cruise, I was told that waiters employed in the Philippines are paid $50 per month. They need the gratuities to make this up to a normal wage.

On my last Cunard voyage in December I spoke to my steward and he said he receives $1.90 per day from each of his passengers who pays the full gratuities. (The rest goes to other staff members.)

Some of us on our table had discussed this issue, and a couple of the men were very vociferous in their belief that the automatic gratuities did not all get rolled down to the relevant staff, so they chose to opt out of that situation and give envelopes. My room steward was rather scathing of this practice, as he said such people often put $10 in an envelope - and as we were on a 21 day cruise, that made for a huge disparity!

I pay full automatic gratuities and give envelopes at the end to my room steward and the two waiters. I have started wondering what I should be doing about room service. Should I be giving a dollar or two each time something is delivered to my room? I have always assumed that's paid from the automatic gratuities. What do the rest of you do?

Thats really a shame, however I am amazed the room steward could talk so freely and not lose his/her job, they dont normally discuss this.

I often give a $1 or $2 for room service, but not always

When asked what is better for waitstaff, our waiter last night in the QG said that it's far better for them if guests opt out of the auto tip and give them money in hand. He asked us to not say that he felt this way, of course, as it's not company policy. He claimed that they receive very little when tips go thru Cunard.

Food for thought.

When asked what is better for waitstaff, our waiter last night in the QG said that it's far better for them if guests opt out of the auto tip and give them money in hand. He asked us to not say that he felt this way, of course, as it's not company policy. He claimed that they receive very little when tips go thru Cunard.

Food for thought.

Kiltboys, I noticed with interest that Peter Shanks did not reply to questions regarding the Hotel and Dining Charge a/k/a auto tip.

I added up auto H&D charges and tips on my QM2 cruises, and a rough estimate is that it added more than 50USD per day. Of course, not all passengers pay the H&D charge, or give additional gratuities.

Would it not be more equitable to include the hotel and dining charge in the fare, and not make it "optional"?]

Just to mention, and I don't know if this works, but I write a note to my steward and include few dollars when the ship is in port, wishing the steward time in port and a beverage as my treat. I'd be really disappointed if stewards were required to pool such a personal gesture.

Edited to add: just to complicate matters: on Holiday cruises, such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, it is our custom to give gifts. And I hope that the monetary gifts we gave to our cabin steward and our waiters went directly to them - it was not an "auto-tip" - it was theirs to do with as they wished.

We have just come off an RCI cruise - where they have a "recommended" gratuity charge which you can ask them to put onto your daily account (compulsory for "Anytime dining) or not. We chose to "tip" our waiters by cash.

I have read a million posts of what happens, what should happen, what may or may not happen regarding staff remuneration and gratuities etc - and all I know is that our waiters were VERY good and also VERY VERY keen to receive "EXCELLENT" ratings on the survey that they ask us to fill out at the end of the cruise - and also seemed VERY VERY keen to have their next cruise contract confirmed.

Barry

Hi Barry. You have a small forturne, and Paris Hillton can't understand you? Oy, such tsuris! No worries, you're ok mate. ;)Cheers, -S.

Hi Barry. You have a small forturne, and Paris Hillton can't understand you? Oy, such tsuris! No worries, you're ok mate. ;)Cheers, -S.

To Paris -- my fortune is only small. To a slum dweller in Mumbai -- I am fabulously wealthy!! :D

Barry

To Paris -- my fortune is only small. To a slum dweller in Mumbai -- I am fabulously wealthy!! :D

Barry

If you have health and the love of good person, you have nothing more to ask for - a bowl of soup three times a day also helps ;)

edited to add: I hear a clear conscience and a really nice pair of sandals goes a long way too

• 1 month later...
I can understand staff saying they wish to be tipped in person. That way they keep all of the tip and do not have to share it with any other "helper" staff. The man who peals the onions needs his share as we know the "tip" is really part of the wages.

Hi orbitersailsfar. I keep the Hotel & Dining Charge (a/k/a auto tip in place). No cabin steward or dining room staff has expressed to me that they would rather a personal tip - actually, I have never had a conversation with anyone (passenger or crew) on board about tipping. (I appreciate open discussions about tipping on this forum.)

I agree with you that other "behind the scenes" crew members could use increased wages, but I don't know if those workers benefit from the auto tip, as I am unaware of any breakdown of how the H&D charge is distributed on Cunard ships.

Although I've never sailed on a Carnival ship (nor do I intend to), I noticed with some appreciation the following transparent statement:

What is the tipping policy onboard?

Service Gratuities

For your convenience, we automatically charge the gratuities for dining and stateroom staff to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount is $11.50 per guest, per day as follows(our recommended guideline effective voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward):

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

For Cruises-To-Nowhere, gratuities of $11.50 USD, or its equivalent in foreign currency, per guest, per day must be prepaid.

As a convenience gratuities will be automatically posted to your Sail & Sign account on the second day of your cruise. Our Staff is totally committed to exceed your expectations in every way possible. If you are not satisfied with the service you receive, we encourage you to contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address your concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. Once gratuities have been posted, you may adjust them at your discretion at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

For beverage purchases, fifteen percent of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge. Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

NOTE: BARBADOS CRUISES

All gratuities are pre-paid and automatically added during the booking process for Barbados itineraries.

*Gratuities do not apply to guests less than 2 years of age.

-copied from http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-544396

I encourage Cunard to be forthcoming about the distribution of the H&D charge. And to the person who peels the onions: my thanks, and one bit of advice: chew gum while peeling/slicing - it help prevents eyes from watering.

Regards,

Salacia

I find it almost unbelievable that people can actually ask the staff personal questions about their wages. Supposing you were staying in a hotel and the chamber maid, bartender or waiter said 'Good Evening Sir/Madam how are you today? Oh and by the way how much do you earn. Are your car parking privileges included? Do you get to keep all your bonus or do you have to share it downwards? Unfortunately the staff on cruise ships are not in a position to tell the nosey passenger to mind their own d...n business.

Gabianno

Food for thought.

We will be removing the auto tip as soon as we board totally disagree with Cunards policies we will reward the people who contributed to the great service that makes a difference

We will be removing the auto tip as soon as we board totally disagree with Cunards policies we will reward the people who contributed to the great service that makes a difference

happytravelbunnies, I admire the courage of your convictions in removing Hotel and Dining Charge immediately upon boarding. Why others wait until the last possible moment to do so is beyond my understanding.

But, as MadScientics asked - how will you find those who provided great service to reward them? My understanding is that it has long been the practice on ships that cabin stewards and servers in the restaurant share their tips with behind the scenes workers, one way or another to insure that they are able to provide good service to passengers.

A steward might not find linens arriving on time; a waiter might find he can't get his orders from the galley coordinated with the rest of his orders. Unless he or she shares/compensates the behind the scenes workers, there are repercussions. This has been the way for many years.

With that knowledge, I leave the H&D Charge in place, and thank those who provide excellent service with an added gratuity because I know it costs them to deliver that service, and they do pass it on.

Regards,

S.

I read how some folks disagree with a cruise company using the gratuities as the main means of paying their domestic staff. I understand them when they say this but we can only play the cards we are dealt.

I would ask the very simple question..

Would you work for a salary far less than the minimum wage?

Would you work for nothing?

I also understand the the majority of employees are from countries where their salary may well be higher than those they might earn if they stayed at home, I understand that and have my own thoughts on that specific response.

I do wonder however how many suites, staterooms or cabins these employees look after. If it is as high as ten then we are talking about a very significant income indeed from just the gratuities. However I have NO idea how many rooms they are responsible for. I have signed up for a cruise and I just include the costs of these gratuities into the total cost of 'the ticket', I blank the gratuity part out and just look on it as a type of tax!! :eek:;)

Adding it to the price of the cruise is to me the only fair way of doing it. I say fair because whilst some folks who opt out of this requirement do genuinely hand over an equivalent sum, my experience of human beings would suggest they are in the minority. Talk is very cheap and I can say I opt out and hand over four times the required amount because I feel these hard working folk deserve every penny!! Bottom line however is I am guessing... most who opt out are doing it because they object to paying 'such a high price just for tips'

We have two differing cultures that discuss this issue and I doubt there will ever be any agreement but my option will always be to do away with the gratuities and simply increase the price of the cruise to take that into account.

I understand there is a service charge for drinks consumed in the bar areas of the ship. Do we pay extra if we sit at a table and have the drink bought to us and maybe poured into the glass as compared to if we go to the bar and collect our drinks. Again why not include this 'tax' in the costs for the drink and do not seperate the two?

I had done what I have wrote on this thread and budgeted the gratuities into the cost of the cruise. When it came to making the booking I was told the price I was paying actually included the gratuities but not I believe for those in the bar :) A perk for booking early and a considerable saving.

Someone said they would take the auto tip off and tip individuals. On HAL if you do this then the individuals have to hand the money into a pool. Are you 'allowed' by Cunard to do this?

I know it seems a silly question but like many Brits I hate this tipping lark and would much rather it was included in the price.

Thanks Teresa

PS please don't have a go at me - I don't usually remove tips with other lines.

Someone said they would take the auto tip off and tip individuals. On HAL if you do this then the individuals have to hand the money into a pool. Are you 'allowed' by Cunard to do this?.. Thanks Teresa

Hi Teresa,

I've read conflicting reports about this, but I gather "last night" tips presented in envelopes to stewards openly have to be handed in to be shared out amongst all the hotel side staff.

I always leave the "hotel and dining charge"/autotip on* and then tip if/when the service has been exceptional (at the time) by folding notes into my palm and then shaking the steward's hand. If he/she wishes to add this to the pool, or slip the notes into a pocket, that is up to them. On some voyages I have no reason to tip extra, on one or two I have.

(*I would only remove the autotip if the service was dreadful from start to finish, not just because of one incident. So far, I've never had reason to remove it :) ).

Hope this helps, all best wishes,

What I don't understand (I do really) is the reasons given for raising the gratuity charges.

Cunard have stated it is for the following reasons:

A job well done by the stateroom steward, restaurant waiting team and other back of house staff who contribute to the smooth running of so much of the experience on board

My thoughts on this is that a good employer will recognise the excellent service given by their employees and that good employer will reward this service in the relevant manner be it a pay rise, less working hours or better working conditions.

A gratuity is surely something we give the employee for services above and beyond those for which an employer pays them for?

I get tired of posts by folks that continually suggest Cunard pay these people a decent wage as quite clearly Cunard look on the passenger as being the person paying the salary and Cunard has ordered the passenger to give these hard working, dedicated employees a pay rise.

Do we know how many cabins on average these folks look after? I say on average as I accept it is possible that different types might need more time to clean, maintain or service.

As I keep saying, I am in the corner that adds the gratuity to the price of the cruise and treat the sum as one complete total.

I just wish Cunard would do this and then let us reward service above and beyond the call of duty.

On our last trip we booked a Queens Grill room and our Butler could just not stop talking about the working conditions, This is what they told us.

They would much prefer Guests to remove the auto charge and Tip in person as the staff still get the money as the company have to make the money up that is removed at no cost to the staff.

My concern was that one evening we decided to eat in room and I ordered a Medium steak that when it came was very rare and when I asked the Butler about it he said very sorry but the staff cooking the steaks were ex washer uppers and had no formal catering training

"I'm sure many would happily pay a little more in the overall cost of the cruise rather than be faced with this dilemma on the last day."

IF the cruise lines decided to triple the wages AND triple the automatic charge for tips, we would still have the same discussion here.

I never understood this compulsion of over-tipping! It doesn't matter how much tipping is included, there will always be those who feel the need to tip extra.

I just came back from a all (tips too) inclusive cruise and there were those who insisted on tipping.

Don't get me wrong, I always follow the tip rules of the country where I am, but isn't there a point where enough is enough ????????????:confused:

We are travelling QG,Our budget for tips is $100,per day.

How do we allocate it?

I presume by this comment, that you must be first time cruisers or having a laugh. :eek:

Anyway here is USA today's Cruise Ship Etiquette article about tipping so you do not get embarrassed whilst onboard in your QG,

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/cruise-ship-tipping-etiquette-14287.html

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy your vacation :D

let's do the maths;

2 pax in stateroom,therefore gratuity x 2,for stateroom steward and assistant.$20.00 per diem?

QG dining,2 waiters.1 wine/drinks waiter.Head waiter, more than helpful in resolving an issue,should he receive a little something?

Room service ,per tray or per person?$?

Therefore,percentages, allocations,please

Q?Any one else?

No Jealous comments needed

let's do the maths;

2 pax in stateroom,therefore gratuity x 2,for stateroom steward and assistant.$20.00 per diem?

QG dining,2 waiters.1 wine/drinks waiter.Head waiter, more than helpful in resolving an issue,should he receive a little something?

Room service ,per tray or per person?$?

Therefore,percentages, allocations,please

Q?Any one else?

No Jealous comments needed

You don't have to do any calculations, you can just leave the auto-tip on and take no further action.

If you would like to tip extra (over and above the auto-tip) you should tip both the butler and the steward (more to the butler), then a tip for the waiter and depending on what/how much the head waiter in your section did you, for you can tip him too. With the restaurant staff, hierarchy is important, so tip more to the waiter than the assistant waiter, and remember that the sommelier gets less than the waiter but more than the assistant waiter.

Archived