Royalcruz: FLL Restaurant Rec

LuckiStac13*Majesty*

Hi Royal!

Looking for another one of your great recommendations for a nice restaurant in the FLL area...heading back down in the last week of Feb. You rec'd the Village Grille last year and that is now our favorite breakfast spot!! Thanks for that.

I will be with my parents and we are looking for a nice, but casual, seafood/steak restaurant. We'd prefer on the water, but it's not necessary. No chain restaurants. I was thinking Rustic Inn, but not sure if you have any ideas on something better than that?

Let me know what you think...it could be in LBTS as well since we'll have a car. Staying at the Cocobelle Resort for 3 nights prior to our Indy cruise.

Thanks as always!!

S.

Here are some great resort-casual choices. Expect to wait for a table.

Aruba next to Village Grill is very popular. It hasn't been redone in 20 yrs so it looks a bit dated, but the food is good and it has an ocean view indoor/outdoor if you get there early enough.

Sea Watch is on the ocean about a mile north of Lauderdale by the Sea and is really nice. They have an enclosed patio but it gets really humid in there, so you might want to eat indoors. They have valet parking and great ocean views, and nice decor.

Near Cocobelle is Coconuts, one of my favorites if the weather is nice, as it's on a marina. They have seafood, but I'm not sure about steaks. Really casual is fine here.

Grill 66 at Hyatt Pier 66 is a great seafood/steakhouse but most people dress up a little more there. Same goes for Steak 954 at W Hotel near Cocobelle. These 2 are more expensive.

Here are some great resort-casual choices. Expect to wait for a table.

Aruba next to Village Grill is very popular. It hasn't been redone in 20 yrs so it looks a bit dated, but the food is good and it has an ocean view indoor/outdoor if you get there early enough.

Sea Watch is on the ocean about a mile north of Lauderdale by the Sea and is really nice. They have an enclosed patio but it gets really humid in there, so you might want to eat indoors. They have valet parking and great ocean views, and nice decor.

Near Cocobelle is Coconuts, one of my favorites if the weather is nice, as it's on a marina. They have seafood, but I'm not sure about steaks. Really casual is fine here.

Grill 66 at Hyatt Pier 66 is a great seafood/steakhouse but most people dress up a little more there. Same goes for Steak 954 at W Hotel near Cocobelle. These 2 are more expensive.

Thanks! I've been wanting to try Aruba, so we'll probably do that. Sea Watch sounds good as well. My parents are in their 60's but are "young" for their ages and like livlier places. I'd also like to try Coconuts...have seen that place many times but never tried!

Thanks again!

Hi, What do you think of Bimini Boatyard's Grille? Got a recommendation from a fellow cruiser but see some not so great reviews on Trip Advisor, so now unsure. Also wonder if you have an opinion on the Chef's Palette at the art school? We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 2/14/13 precruise; need to decide and make a reservation before travel time since I assume restaurants will be busy that night. Thanks, Laurie

What do you think of Rustic Inn?

I haven't been there in 25 yrs and if it wasn't for CC, I wouldn't even know that it was still opened. I'm from Baltimore (blue crab land) and I remember that they were serving small female crabs at Rustic Inn the last time I was there...in Maryland we only ate large or jumbo males.

Hi, What do you think of Bimini Boatyard's Grille? Got a recommendation from a fellow cruiser but see some not so great reviews on Trip Advisor, so now unsure. Also wonder if you have an opinion on the Chef's Palette at the art school? We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 2/14/13 precruise; need to decide and make a reservation before travel time since I assume restaurants will be busy that night. Thanks, Laurie

I like Bimini Boatyard but I have to admit service and food there can be hit or miss sometimes. I like having lunch on the patio on a nice day. I like the Diane salad, bimini bread, and the snapper viequez there. I have never been to Chef's Palette (their hours/days aren't convenient for us).

How about any suggestions near the Westin Diplomat for a nice precruise dinner, would be this Wed. night. I have heard the restaurant at the resort is pricey but very good, but does not have a ocean or water view. Any suggestions? We will not have a rental car.

How about any suggestions near the Westin Diplomat for a nice precruise dinner, would be this Wed. night. I have heard the restaurant at the resort is pricey but very good, but does not have a ocean or water view. Any suggestions? We will not have a rental car.

I can't help with Hollywood beach...maybe someone else will chime in. You could take a short ride to Village at Gulfstream Park, in Hallandale. There is a Yardhouse there, with great food and beer, as well as lots of other restaurants and shops.

I like Bimini Boatyard but I have to admit service and food there can be hit or miss sometimes. I like having lunch on the patio on a nice day. I like the Diane salad, bimini bread, and the snapper viequez there. I have never been to Chef's Palette (their hours/days aren't convenient for us).

Hi, I appreciate your input, thanks! If you were staying at the Embassy and had no car, where would you choose to eat within walkable distance of say 1/2-3/4 mile? I would love to be outdoors near the water if possible. Several years ago we ate at a great place along the water taxi route, but apparently it's gone with the economy; we

would be willing to take the water taxi somewhere if your suggestions warranted it. Thank you very much, Laurie

What do you think of Rustic Inn?

I had dinner there last week and it was great. Very unique and definitely the ultimate non-chain restaurant. A lot of the employees are "lifers." While Michele, a bartender, has only worked there for 13 years, Allen, a manager has been there for 38.

Hi, I appreciate your input, thanks! If you were staying at the Embassy and had no car, where would you choose to eat within walkable distance of say 1/2-3/4 mile? I would love to be outdoors near the water if possible. Several years ago we ate at a great place along the water taxi route, but apparently it's gone with the economy; we

would be willing to take the water taxi somewhere if your suggestions warranted it. Thank you very much, Laurie

Last time staying off 17th (Hyatt Place right next/behind Embassy) we went to the Bimini Boatyard as I'd heard so much about it. It was packed. Whole experience was a Miss for us; long wait, and wrong food served. The waitress took forever to return for me to replace my dish. I expected expensive but the service was unacceptable and I'm pretty easy to please. We will be in the same area in 2 months and plan to try Kelly's Landing. Since you are from RI, it is run by Bostonians and features good fish. If that isn't your choice, walk to the 15th Street Fisheries and take a taxi back later in the evening. Or if you are on the water taxi, get off at 15th St. and take a taxi back to your hotel.

We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 post cruise for one night....would like to try Coconuts....how far from the hotel is it? Would it be on the water taxi route? thanks.

It would be about a 7 minute or less cab ride to Coconuts from the Hyatt. The Water Taxi goes by there but Coconuts is actually in between Water Taxi stops. Coconuts is nice, I tried it when I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard that is across the street.

I would go to Bimini Boatyard. Southport Raw Bar is a block away and waterfront but I haven't eaten there. 15th St Fisheries Dockside Cafe, Grill 66, and Pelican's Landing are also good choices but a longer walk, about a mile.

Coconuts is also a waterfront favorite of mine, a few blocks from the Beach Place water taxi stop. You'll have to wait for a table there...they don't take reservations but if you call when you get off the water taxi they might put your name down. It's cheaper and much faster to just take a taxi or suntrolley there.

I haven't been there in 25 yrs and if it wasn't for CC, I wouldn't even know that it was still opened. I'm from Baltimore (blue crab land) and I remember that they were serving small female crabs at Rustic Inn the last time I was there...in Maryland we only ate large or jumbo males.

Archived