Where are the flowers?

drsmith

I've looked at a lot of pictures on a lot of threads and on a gazillion websites about Hawaii. I'm seeing beautiful beaches, beautiful water, lush greenery, etc. But where are the flowers??? I expected it to be covered with beautiful blooms full of color.

I'll be in Oahu, Maui, Kona and Hilo the first part of February. Where should I look for the flowers?? A nice drive with flowers would be nice, or a hike. Not interested in nurseries and such, I'm talking nature. Any suggestions?

Try googleing "when do flowers bloom in Hawaii". Also there really are not flowers covering bushes and trees all over the islands. Flowering is seasonal as in most states. I actually love the variation of vibrant greens but understand your desire to see all of the colorful tropical flowers, I have my favorites. We have visited the botanical gardens in Hilo, and the Allerton Gardens on Kauai. The walk through the Hilo gardens is beautiful and about one and a half miles. The drive along the old highway is also beautiful, with one lane bridges and waterfalls, it reminds me of a very small Hana Highway drive. There are botanical gardens with nice walks/hikes on every island. Most hotels also have beautiful gardens and arrangements. Cherie

There are certainly a lot of beautiful flowers there, but we've been in prime flowering season (late April/early May) on all of our trips, so I'm not sure what's in bloom in Feb. However, even in April/May, they aren't 'covering the island' - but you'll be too busy being 'wowed' by the spectacular scenery that you probably won't miss seeing an abundance of flowers.

Another suggestion I have for enjoying the tropical flowers while you cruise is to go to the farmer's markets and flower shops to purchase arrangements for your room. In Honolulu there are several wonderful shops in China Town, and the Hilo farmer's market has beautiful flowers and arrangements. Cherie

I second both Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Gardens north of Hilo and Hawaii National Tropical Botanical Gardens (Allerton) on Kauai. Each is different and nice in their own right. I've been to Allerton in December and HTBG in Hilo in January & February. HTBG is more of a rainforest setting whereas Allerton is about half tropical and half formal European gardens. I think what you're looking for would match up better with HTBG in Hilo. BTW, if you're on the POAm the cruise line has a tour to HTBG though I find it was not long enough. In Hilo there are other more formal gardens like Nani Mau Gardens and I believe, though haven't been, a garden on the way to VNP. My website has pictures of all the gardens we have been.

Added: forgot that in Maui there is the Maui Tropical Plantation which in my mind is lesser that the others.

We were there in early December, so not peak flowering time, and we still saw flowers everywhere. The poinsettias were outrageously beautiful, covering entire hillsides in some places. For us, it would be more a question of where AREN'T the flowers.

In Oahu the Waimea Valley is a beautiful walk through the forest with many blooming flowers (at least when we are there). There is a 3/4 mile paved path that goes to a waterfall that you can swim under. There is a life guard there, also. There are numerous offshoot paths from the main one that allows for extra exploring, if you have the time. It is on Oahu's North Shore.

Archived