Bringing wine on board Dawn Princess

t60

the wording on the boarding pass says

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

on the luggage tags

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750 ml bottle of wine or Champagne per adult.

• Additional wine & Champagne bottles are welcome for a $15 corkage fee each, per voyage.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

I think that could be read as saying that the first bottle is free and any additional bottle will be $15. It does not mention where it is consumed.

The US ships on longer than 10 days offer wine packages now.

the wording on the boarding pass says

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

on the luggage tags

Bringing Alcohol Onboard?

Please remember our carry-on alcohol policy:

• One 750 ml bottle of wine or Champagne per adult.

• Additional wine & Champagne bottles are welcome for a $15 corkage fee each, per voyage.

• Other liquors, spirits or beers are prohibited. Luggage is subject to search.

I think that could be read as saying that the first bottle is free and any additional bottle will be $15. It does not mention where it is consumed.

The US ships on longer than 10 days offer wine packages now.

So if I take a dozen bottles of wine on the cruise I will be charged $15 each for 11 of them on embarkation. In the unlikely event that I don't open all the bottles, will I get a refund. Maybe they will do a cork count!:D

I suppose the difference is that in the past you would chance taking some extra bottles knowing that the worst that could happen would be that your wine was confiscated and you would be taking it home with you. This new policy sounds as if you will be charged a fee on embarkation which I imagine would make a lot of people think twice about risking it.

I wonder how long it took the 'think tank' at Princess to come up with this great idea. So far the website is still showing the old policy.

Alcohol & gambling

We are committed to the responsible service of alcohol. There may be times when we consider it appropriate to refuse the service of alcohol to a passenger for any reason. To consume alcohol or gamble onboard, the following minimum ages and corkage charges apply:

Sun Princess® or Dawn Princess® departures

Sea Princess® departing and returning to Australia

All other Princess Cruises'® departures

Minimum age

18 years

18 years

21 years

Corkage (per bottle)*

AUD15

AUD15

USD15

*Corkage charges only apply to wines and/or champagne brought onboard and consumed in the dining room or alternative restaurants.

Government issued photo identification may be requested (Queensland ‘Adult Proof of Age Card’ will be accepted, however the older version of Queensland ‘Card 18+’ will not be accepted).

On the day of embarkation, passengers over the minimum age may bring onboard one bottle of wine or champagne per person to celebrate (no larger than 750ml). Consumption of personal wine or champagne is limited to your stateroom. Any other alcohol purchased ashore will be collected at the gangway for safe keeping and will be returned to you on the last day of your cruise.

cheers

Stu

It seems there is one rule for australian based ships and those from the rest of the World, previously we have take a couple of bottles each on Sun Princess without challenge, We are going on Dawn Princess in May and it appears they will only allow a bottle each for a 26 week cruise. Have been on various sectors of world cruises on P&O UK and there is no problem with passengers taking on wine, beer or spirits, in fact many passengers only get off to restock! You can also buy spirits at extremely cheap price to drink in your cabin. Talking 10 pounds for litre bottle of whisky normally around $70 at home. I have no problem buying my drinks on board, but they don't have many wines I like on the wine list, which is always pretty limited. It appears the cruise companies think aussies can't be trusted.

It actually appearing on ALL Princess boarding passes, luggage tags and passenger contracts. It appears to be an enforcement of the rules.

It may or may not be the result of abuse by US passengers, or complaints by Australians regarding the double standards. Who knows, but there is another thread in the Princess forum discussing the issue.

This is Princess Cruises reply to questions on FB about wine policy and bringing it on at ports of call

Princess Cruises wrote: "I apologize I am just now addressing all of your concerns. We will begin monitoring and enforcing the above policy in the coming weeks and months as we introduce this new policy. We recognize that purchasing wine or champagne ashore can be an enjoyable aspect of shopping and exploring our ports of call. Passengers are able to bring 750ml bottles of wine and/or champagne onboard to enjoy during the cruise as well as at embarkation. Please know that anything above and beyond the one bottle per adult per voyage will incur a corkage fee of $15 per bottle, regardless of where consumed. Currently there is no limit to how many bottles can be brought onboard but again additional bottles of wine or champagne above the one bottle per adult per voyage will incur the $15 per bottle corkage fee. Please know that customs will have their own regulations in regards to large quantities of alcohol (wine and any other spirits) being taken off the ship. To find out customs regulations please contact customs for the port you will be disembarking in."

This is Princess Cruises reply to questions on FB about wine policy and bringing it on at ports of call

Princess Cruises wrote: "I apologize I am just now addressing all of your concerns. We will begin monitoring and enforcing the above policy in the coming weeks and months as we introduce this new policy. We recognize that purchasing wine or champagne ashore can be an enjoyable aspect of shopping and exploring our ports of call. Passengers are able to bring 750ml bottles of wine and/or champagne onboard to enjoy during the cruise as well as at embarkation. Please know that anything above and beyond the one bottle per adult per voyage will incur a corkage fee of $15 per bottle, regardless of where consumed. Currently there is no limit to how many bottles can be brought onboard but again additional bottles of wine or champagne above the one bottle per adult per voyage will incur the $15 per bottle corkage fee. Please know that customs will have their own regulations in regards to large quantities of alcohol (wine and any other spirits) being taken off the ship. To find out customs regulations please contact customs for the port you will be disembarking in."

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for posting. So we CAN bring more on at ports of call. We just have to pay the $15 corkage. I hope Dawn Princess staff have been made aware of this. I would pay to have the wine I want rather than what Princess deigns to provide for us to buy. It seems however that Dawn Princess staff make up their own rules regarding wine so it will be interesting to see how it goes. For me, I'll leave Princess for a while until the dust settles.

kind regards,

Colleen.

Archived