Bringing wine on board Dawn Princess

t60

I know last year there were difficulties last year apparently due to one particular person, when their contract finished things got better.

Has anyone any recent experience please?

Does Dawn offer onboard wine ´packages´?

Sandy in Spain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We were on Dawn Princess to New Zealand roundtrip Sydney last November. We were allowed a bottle of wine or champagne each AT EMBARKATION only. And even then we had to collect our bags from the naughty corner on deck 4 and prove that it was "only" wine. We attempted to bring wine on at ports and it was confiscated until the last day of the cruise. I was told by the Pursers desk staff that this was a new policy fleet wide but from what I've read on these boards it appears that it is confined to ships leaving from Aussie ports.:mad: Oh! and I'm not sure about wine packages. Maybe someone else can answer this part of your question.

Hope this helps,

kind regards and happy cruising!

I know last year there were difficulties last year apparently due to one particular person, when their contract finished things got better.

Has anyone any recent experience please?

Does Dawn offer onboard wine ´packages´?

Sandy in Spain

Just got off Dawn last week and they were being very strict with regard to wine being brought onboard. We carried one bottle each in our carry on and had a bottle each in our suitcases. Don't think they checked the suitcases as they arrived with wine still there.

When we went through security at embarkation there was one person whose sole job was to check whether you had wine in your hand luggage and if so how much. Haven't seen that before.

As we returned to the ship at each port there was a desk set up to take the wine off people who were flaunting the rules. I heard one woman arguing one day about the bottle of champagne she had in her bag but it sounded like she was losing the fight.

So, you can take the risk if you like but it seems they are really sticking to the rules as set out in their brochures.

cheers

Stu

we cruised on the Sea Princess and you could bring on what you wanted, i think its only on the Dawn Princess....maybe when we cruise on the Dawn soon the person concerned might be on leave

we cruised on the Sea Princess and you could bring on what you wanted, i think its only on the Dawn Princess....maybe when we cruise on the Dawn soon the person concerned might be on leave

I do hope so

Sandy in Spain

I would like Princess to explain if this is an Australia only rule?? And if so, why?? I am on the Ocean Princess soon so I will check out what happens leaving from a US port.[/size]

Sue

That would be good to get a comparison. I used the "D" (discrimination against Aussies) word on Dawn Princess and was ASSURED that it was a fleet wide policy change but having watched these boards I'm doubting that I was told the truth. It will be interesting to see what your experience is overseas.:confused:

We were on Dawn in November Syd to NZ round trip. We aren't big drinkers but do have a wine that we like, so took two bottles on with us after reading others thoughts. Only problem was I put both bottles in the one suitcase, not thinking it would matter or how luggage worked. My luggage did not arrive for hours after my partners had arrived. About five hours after boarding we found my case in the naughty corner and had to explain why there was two bottles in my case. My partner had to explain what had happened with me packing both bottles in the one case. They told him to make sure it didn't happen again. He came back to the room with my case and said he felt like a very naughty school boy. So, yes we only two two bottles, one each, but in the same case which was a no no. Our cabin steward also knew about it and commented that my case had been in the naughty corner.

Why wouldn't they be strict if it IS their policy. We know exactly when we buy our tickets what the rules are via the passenger contact that we all agree to when we purchase our tickets.

Feeling like a naughty school boy is exactly how you should feel after all, the rules were broken and when I see on these board the lengths people go to smuggling booze onboard - disgusting for adult behaviour :(

:D Just my honest thoughts with no offense to anyone please! :D

B&B

Why wouldn't they be strict if it IS their policy. We know exactly when we buy our tickets what the rules are via the passenger contact that we all agree to when we purchase our tickets.

Feeling like a naughty school boy is exactly how you should feel after all, the rules were broken and when I see on these board the lengths people go to smuggling booze onboard - disgusting for adult behaviour :(

:D Just my honest thoughts with no offense to anyone please! :D

B&B

I wasn't saying the rules shouldn't be adhered to, nor were we trying to smuggle wine on board. Only to take our one bottle each.

Maybe for people like me (new to cruising) the rules need to be more clear stating one bottle only in each persons luggage. This was our first cruise and we had no idea that it wasn't like airline check in where luggage is checked in together at the same time but instead of the drop your luggage and it is all treated individually. We were more than happy to advise that both bottles of wine (one each) were in one suitcase and not one bottle of wine in each suitcase, but no one (the luggage handlers) listened or for that matter cared.

I agree that it seems silly the lengths some go to in the hope of getting large amounts of alcohol on board. It was never our intention, but we ended up learning the hard way through embarrassment.

Other than that experience and life lesson, we had the most fantastic time and would gladly go on Dawn again if the itinerary was different to what has already been offered and the timing right. I'm

limited to when I can take leave because of the industry I work in, hence us going on Voyager this year.

When I was on the Ruby Princess in October, I was able to bring on wine and lemoncello at different ports.

So it could just be a Dawn Princess thing.

Likewise us on Ruby and Coral last year, take on what you liked. It seems just the Dawn/Sun/Sea Princess are enforcing the 2 bottle rule. As I have said before, the Americans would not cop it, thus the American Princess ships are more lax in their enforcement of alcohol policy.

Aussie cruisers getting penalised again !

Likewise us on Ruby and Coral last year, take on what you liked. It seems just the Dawn/Sun/Sea Princess are enforcing the 2 bottle rule. As I have said before, the Americans would not cop it, thus the American Princess ships are more lax in their enforcement of alcohol policy.

Aussie cruisers getting penalised again !

And that is the whole point. If they're going to enforce their policy, fine, but they should enforce it for everyone... every time, impartially. Not as the whim takes them. That's what gets people's back up and that is what is wrong about Princess' policy in this instance.

Just off the Sun Princess 10 days ago from the NZ cruise. The only time I saw wine being confiscated was in Auckland when a passenger tried to take a carton on board.

Through out the cruise at all 6 ports I saw passengers being allowed through with a bottle of wine.

Just off the Sun Princess 10 days ago from the NZ cruise. The only time I saw wine being confiscated was in Auckland when a passenger tried to take a carton on board.

Through out the cruise at all 6 ports I saw passengers being allowed through with a bottle of wine.

because in eight weeks time we'll be on board!

What kind of info are you after? I was on board November

Only about bringing wine on board. Last year there were problems, then it seemed when a certain staff member went on leave, there were no restrictions, but there has been a report since then about restrictions being imposed once more.

Last time we sailed out of Sydney (trans Pacific) we took a box of wine on board. We were hoping to do the same again when leaving on a round Aus trip

Sandy in Spain

Archived