YOUNG Children in Whirlpools on Deck

caper609

We are getting ready to go on another cruise (it's been a year and a half) and I'm not sure about something. I first would like to say that I love being around children and have no problem with them enjoying the whirlpools and pools. That said - last cruise there was a mom who showed up every 'at sea' morning with her toddler in a swimmy diaper and a bucket of floaty toys and went right to the whirlpool. They stayed there for hours and made it their own play pool for the mornings while at sea. -- My question would be, are there any definite rules about children in swimmy diapers? I would not say anything to the mom but what to do! I really liked the area and would have enjoyed the jacuzzi too but not with a 2 hour old diaper sharing the space.:eek:

I know there are adult areas but I enjoy being with all different ages and joining in the activities.

We are getting ready to go on another cruise (it's been a year and a half) and I'm not sure about something. I first would like to say that I love being around children and have no problem with them enjoying the whirlpools and pools. That said - last cruise there was a mom who showed up every 'at sea' morning with her toddler in a swimmy diaper and a bucket of floaty toys and went right to the whirlpool. They stayed there for hours and made it their own play pool for the mornings while at sea. -- My question would be, are there any definite rules about children in swimmy diapers? I would not say anything to the mom but what to do! I really liked the area and would have enjoyed the jacuzzi too but not with a 2 hour old diaper sharing the space.:eek:

I know there are adult areas but I enjoy being with all different ages and joining in the activities.

I am pretty sure that swim diapers are not allowed. I spent my time in the hot tub in the Serenity area:).

Good point! I haven't read anything about Swimming diapers or their exclusion from hot tubs. It does seem a long time for a little one to be in a hot tub even though the temp is a little lower in main areas than the Adults only. I would just cross my fingers that the same situation doesn't occur again, especially with the great water park that has so many things that are designed for children of that age!

Just a side note: It is really not a good thing for young boys to be in a hot tub. It can sterilize them for life. I relize that Hot Tubs onthe cruise are not overally hot (at least the ones I have experienced), but prolonged exposure is not good.

Besides the fact that it's against the rules - and many hot tubs have it posted ADULTS ONLY. But also, it's VERY unsafe for young children to go into hot tubs. Their bodies cannot regulate the heat like adult bodies can, and they can quickly overheat to dangerous levels.

It's irresponsible of any parent to put their young children at risk out of laziness. I DO have a problem when I see people bring their toddlers and very young children into hot tubs. They're not kiddie pools and shouldn't be used as such.

Thanks! I feel better knowing I'm not being just cranky!!

TakeMeAway-Now I know it's official--"Children who are not toilet trained (and those in diapers or swim diapers) are not allowed in any of the water facilities onboard, as per United States Public Health Services." Thank you for the link :>)

Besides the fact that it's against the rules - and many hot tubs have it posted ADULTS ONLY. But also, it's VERY unsafe for young children to go into hot tubs. Their bodies cannot regulate the heat like adult bodies can, and they can quickly overheat to dangerous levels.

It's irresponsible of any parent to put their young children at risk out of laziness. I DO have a problem when I see people bring their toddlers and very young children into hot tubs. They're not kiddie pools and shouldn't be used as such.

Sadly because Carnival allows children to be in the hot tubs (not the adult only & serenity) with adult supervision many will feel it is ok. On one of my cruises there were a group of kids in there with no adults and all wearing snorkel gear and going under the water, nothing was done so we finally got out.

When you see something like this, it needs to be brought to the attention of staff. First, it is dangerous for them to be in the heated whirlpool because of the temperature. Also, the jets, and intakes can be dangerous. Bacteria grows faster in warmer water. It is against the ships sanitary standards to allow children not potty trained in a pool (not just a whirlpool). So for the safety of the child, and other adults, this would need to be addressed quickly.

Sadly because Carnival allows children to be in the hot tubs (not the adult only & serenity) with adult supervision many will feel it is ok. On one of my cruises there were a group of kids in there with no adults and all wearing snorkel gear and going under the water, nothing was done so we finally got out.

On my 2010 Freedom cruise, I went into one of the Lido hot tubs where there were 4 adults, and two children: a 5-6 yo girl & a 7-8 yo boy. Not until after I got in did I learn that the “kids” were not with any of the soaking adults, who kept asking “where are your parents”. The kids were jumping (cannonballs) and splashing and annoying the adults. I explained to them that this wasn’t a swimming pool and the boy left, but the little girl seemed to enjoy annoying the adults. When I again told her that her behavior belonged in the swimming pool, not the hot tub, she mocked me “this is not a swimming pool” and then splashed water in my face. In my calm but scary “don’t F with me” voice, I invited her to “Do that again. Go ahead. Splash me one more time.” She thought about it for about 10 seconds, then left. I saw her later that evening with a woman I assumed was her mother, who gave me a very nasty look.

I know that I could have left for the Adults only area to avoid this annoyance. But the bigger issue to me was, who lets a little 5 year old girl, unsupervised, into a hot tub full of strangers (many of whom were drinking)?

It seems carnival doesnt care to do anything about this issue. When your on a cruise you dont want to go and complain about other guests behavior . This hot tub thing is a pet peave of mine . I dont mind the kid that goes in with thier parents for a few minutes and enjoy the jets even in the one where I have seen signs that said adults only . However if troops of kids start having splash fights and ignore the no eating in the pool signs it gets on my nerves . Once I said something to a kid that threw thier icecream cone half eaten on the ledge of the hot tub that you werent allowed to eat in the hot tub. They said its okay I'm done with that anyways .

Diapers in the pool? Kids in the Serenity area? Carnival will not enforce these rules unless you complain - and I have no problem being that guy.

I'm with you on this. I have no problem saying anything to any unsupervised child who is not behaving and being a PITA. I give them the same evil eye that I did with my own children who were acting out. They rarely stick around when I do that. :D

I'm with you on this. I have no problem saying anything to any unsupervised child who is not behaving and being a PITA. I give them the same evil eye that I did with my own children who were acting out. They rarely stick around when I do that. :D

Same with me.

I've been teaching elementary school for over 20 years now & I have absolutely no problem with telling any children to cut out the annoying/disrespectful behavior. If their parents won't make them mind the ship's rules, I will take care of it myself or find someone who will.

We set sail again in two months.....can't wait!!

They should be for adults only.

That said, to those saying the hot tubs are dangerous... How hot was the "hot" tub you were in on you last cruise? The Liberty's tubs were okay at best and the tubs on the Glory were downright lukewarm. I'm not one for near-scalding water but they could have been more warm (especially the Glory). The jets put out decent pressure, but they probably regulate that as well. I don't see much threat with Carnival's tubs, but thats based on my experience.

Many waterparks have hot tubs that children are welcome to use, including children in swim diapers. This is what families are used to, and some may be ignorant of the cruise rules on swim diapers. If you want to enforce the rule, I would tell them politely or tell a crewmember. The length of time anyone should be in the hot tub depends on temperature, age, and health, and how much they are actually submerged. Hot tub temps vary widely and many are no hotter than a warm bath.

Carnival has hot tubs on the Serenity deck, which should be enforced as kids-free, but the rest may be used by toilet trained children. However, I would never let my kids be unsupervised or out of control in a hot tub and would remove them if they were splashing or being disruptive. I also have no problem correcting other people's children -- and watching out to make sure they're safe. At a hotel, we were in the hot tub with a stranger's toddler. The mom was in a chair nearby, not watching at all. The toddler stepped off the seat into water over her head. I pulled her out and made sure she was okay. I thought it was odd that her mom didn't thank me, until I realized that she never noticed what happened.

Get security and/or a manager. From what I have seen,many of the "workers' on Carnival are too afraid to lose their tips...go above their head

Document it on a camera/video....keep going up the ladder, hotel manager, and so forth

Maybe some of these videos of swim diapers should be sent to the United States Public Health Services::???

(One thing I would not do is confront the ignorant parents myself...I don't feel like fighting with fools on my vacation.)

Wow. I can't imagine my toddler in a hot tub, swim diaper or not. I was hoping that DD would be potty trained so she can swim in the pool, but I doubt that either. Hot tubs really are not a place for small children, IMO.

Perhaps if Carnival raised the temp on them to make them something other than the "tepid tubs" they currently are, parents would be more inclined to keep them out. And if not, then we'd have a generation of selfish cruisers sterilized by early hot tub use - win/win???

Get security and/or a manager. From what I have seen,many of the "workers' on Carnival are too afraid to lose their tips...go above their head

Document it on a camera/video....keep going up the ladder, hotel manager, and so forth

Maybe some of these videos of swim diapers should be sent to the United States Public Health Services::???

Now there is a good idea. Document with photos/videos then contact the management and let them know the area needs to be properly secure for the rest of the cruise. If it happens again then contact the same management to let them know the images will be posted (with their names and the name of the cruise line and ship) on this and other cruise forums as well as sent to United States Public Health Services or who ever the health authorities are for cruise ships etc.

What if folks on Cruise Critic who use hot tubs on their cruise followed through on this instead of being frustrated here. Do you think it would get attention then?

Cheers!

Now there is a good idea. Document with photos/videos then contact the management and let them know the area needs to be properly secure for the rest of the cruise. If it happens again then contact the same management to let them know the images will be posted (with their names and the name of the cruise line and ship) on this and other cruise forums as well as sent to United States Public Health Services or who ever the health authorities are for cruise ships etc.

What if folks on Cruise Critic who use hot tubs on their cruise followed through on this instead of being frustrated here. Do you think it would get attention then?

Cheers!

I am neither an investigator nor an enforcer. If I report it that ends the matter in my mind. I am not going to waste my vacation chasing people around and filing reports. Much easier to use a different hot tub;).

I am neither an investigator nor an enforcer. If I report it that ends the matter in my mind. I am not going to waste my vacation chasing people around and filing reports. Much easier to use a different hot tub;).

That's OK too. No one has to do anything but enjoy their vacation. I don't expect there will be enough folks to really take the suggestion to heart where it would eventually make a difference anyway.

However, I do think it would be the most effective way to get the attention of all cruise lines and in particular the officers of the specific ship. But why even waste your time to report it when not much is ever done as evidence by so many past and present posts on this problem? For that matter why even take the time to post here when that never accomplishes anything. Even the serenity area and hot tubs have been abused according to past posts.

Just saying that it will never get resolved until frustration makes way for responsible action. Others may think it worth the small effort since just reporting the incidents rarely gets results unless you get the attention of the people in authority who can light a fire under those who are in direct control.

Cheers!

Archived