Where to stay in London pre-cruise?

I want to see the Tower of London, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace and maybe do a river cruise and maybe see a play. I only have 2 days so I don't know how much more I can possibly do. I would also like to go to the British Museum if there is time. The hotels seem so expensive. Is there anything around $200 a night?

We stayed at the Park Plaza Victoria which was AMAZING. It was across the street from where the cruise bus dropped us off, was walking distance to Big Ben, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, and Trafalgar Square (if you really wanted to hoof it.) We took the HOHO bus across to St. Paul's Cathedral and saw it plus the Tower Bridge and Tower of London. Then the River Thames cruise with our tickets took us back to Westminster which is the area where the Park Plaza Victoria was. It was a very modern hotel with amazing amenities, free WiFi, great service, gorgeous room and bathroom, etc. I'd highly recommend it!

Just booked a cruise and will have 3 days in London, mid June. It sounds like the "Victoria" area is where to stay if we want to be nearby some sites????? We will for sure be willing to stretch out, but at least for the first day, would be nice to be in an area where we can stroll and enjoy the city. And not be out of the area for most things. Any more areas or ideas to where to stay. Not a big spender, but mid ranged (under 200 a night) .

Just booked a cruise and will have 3 days in London, mid June. It sounds like the "Victoria" area is where to stay if we want to be nearby some sites????? We will for sure be willing to stretch out, but at least for the first day, would be nice to be in an area where we can stroll and enjoy the city. And not be out of the area for most things. Any more areas or ideas to where to stay. Not a big spender, but mid ranged (under 200 a night) .

You might also like to look at South Bank/County Hall area.

When you say your budget is under 200 a night, is that GBP?

It sounds like the "Victoria" area is where to stay if we want to be nearby some sites?.
Victoria is a bit more remote from the main sights, compared to other areas - especially when you get as far as the Park Plaza there. The front of Victoria station itself is perhaps 15 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace or Westminster Abbey, and the main tourist areas are pretty much all further away than that.

But even if you find a hotel that's right next door to one of the main sights, you're inevitably going to be a quite a long way away from many, given the size of central London and how spread out everything is.

You might look at Luna Simone. We are booked there in mid june and if you are willing to pay cash (Rick Steve's has Luna Simone in his book) you get a discount. It is on a bus line which people say makes it convenient.

You might also like to look at South Bank/County Hall area.

When you say your budget is under 200 a night, is that GBP?

No, I was talking U.S. dollars. So GBP a round100-125 would be nice. Researching now, there isn't much below 125 GBP.:o Guess we'll have to adjust our budget accordingly.

You might look at Luna Simone. We are booked there in mid june and if you are willing to pay cash (Rick Steve's has Luna Simone in his book) you get a discount. It is on a bus line which people say makes it convenient.

A room there is over 200 US. Still looking, but that appears to be the midrange cost for London in a convenient area.

So GBP a round100-125 would be nice

Well, yes it would, but you are looking for a hotel in the centre of one of the world's most popular and expensive cities...in summer:)

Try the new Premier Inn Waterloo - it doesn't open until 4 March, so may be off people's radar. Great location in Waterloo near the river (London Eye, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey etc etc). You might get lucky.

A room there is over 200 US. Still looking, but that appears to be the midrange cost for London in a convenient area.

It is possible to get hotels in your price range but they will not be super luxurious and they will not be right in the centre.

For slightly cheaper hotels, have a look at the Paddington or Bayswater areas.

Have a look at these

Darlington Hyde Park

Although it says Hyde Park it is between Paddington & Hyde Park about 5 minutes walk from both.

London House Hotel

This is in Bayswater about 5 minutes from the Underground.

Bloomsbury is another area worth looking at

This one is in Bloomsbury

Euro Hotel

This is about 5 minutes from King’s Cross/St Pancras and 10 minutes from The British Museum – not all rooms have en-suite but some do.

There is another group of budget hotels (on the same lines as Premier Inn) called Travelodge.

This is their general website

Travelodge London

We stayed theer last May it was perfect! Walk to Buckingham Palace area a couple of blocks and walk to Westminster Abby and Big Ben a couple of blocks the other way. It had the best bathroom I've ever had in Europe and so clean and reasonable price for 3 nights. I would definiely stay there again!

Archived