Glory vs Legend - which should we pick?

lecach

We want to cruise march 3 - there will be me, my husband and our 8 year old son. We had decided on Glory but flights from Charlotte NC to Miami are high. The cruise on Legend is the same price and we could drive to Tampa if we can't find a good flight. But the recent reviews seem a little negative.

If you have been on both ships, can you help us pick?

If it matters we have been on 3 other Carnival cruises:

-Carnival Pride - loved it

-Carnival Triumph - our least favorite cruise ever but I don't remember why

-Carnival Fantasy - we had low expectations but we could drive to it and it was a first cruise for our son so we wanted something cheap in case he didn't like it. We had a great time and of course now our son is a cruise lover ;)

I haven't been on the Glory before, but we cruised on the Legend last May and loved it! We had no problems with the food (except when we ordered something that we personally didn't like), cleanliness, the staff, or the shows.

I think of reviews like judging in the Olympics - throw out the highest and the lowest scores. :D

Also, and I have no evidence to base this on, but I feel like people are more apt to want to write a review when they have a negative experience than when they have a positive one. JMO

I have been on both and loved them equally. The Glory has the 2.0 upgrades and has had some spring cleaning done.

Legend only gives you a Western itinerary, Glory allows you to choose between Eastern or Western.

We fly out of CLT and always fly into FLL when sailing out of Miami. It's about a 30 - 45 minute drive, however it pays for itself in the price difference in airfare.

Have done the drive to Tampa and while it wasn't bad, it made for a VERY long day after the cruise.

Either way, have a great time. :)

DW and I have sailed both ships. Legend 1 time and Glory three times, either one would be a good choice. A suggestion would be, check the flights into FLL many cruisers go there and then get transportation to POM.

I really don't want to drive at all - and personally think even Tampa is too far. My husband is thrifty though and looking at all options :)

Both ships have the same itinerary on the date we can sail.

Right now my husband thinks the Legend out of Tampa is a better deal overall. And it sounds like we'd be happy with that. After the Fantasy anything will be an upgrade :). Not that there is anything wrong with Fantasy - its just older and a bit dated.

Now my husband wants to know what options are for flying in to fll day before cruise, staying in hotel and then getting to port of Miami. What do most people do? What is best option?

I really want to sail a Spirit Class ship. If I had to do the Western Caribbean again though, I'd sail the Glory again.

First off, Tampa has occasional fog delays in the mornings (when Legend returns to port for dis/embarkation). I've seen the Legend and Paradise leave hours later because of this. I've never read about it affecting their itinerary schedule much though. I just don't want to wait around a terminal constantly wondering when the next update will be.

Secondly, the Glory has the 2.0 upgrades. The Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers alone would make me want to sail on the Glory.

Third, Sailing out of Miami is awesome. You pass the highway, park, and South Beach. Many people wave, take pictures. Its a cool experience. Can't say I've sailed out of Tampa. Aside from the bridge though, it doesn't seem like it would be as much fun.

We want to cruise march 3 - there will be me, my husband and our 8 year old son. We had decided on Glory but flights from Charlotte NC to Miami are high. The cruise on Legend is the same price and we could drive to Tampa if we can't find a good flight. But the recent reviews seem a little negative.

-Carnival Fantasy - we had low expectations but we could drive to it and it was a first cruise for our son so we wanted something cheap in case he didn't like it. We had a great time and of course now our son is a cruise lover ;)

I like Glory better from a ship perspective (even before the 2.0 upgrade), but like the ease of Tampa as a port better than MIA any day. I am very cost driven, so price and ease of getting to/from port, ususally drive my decissions. (I hate to fly and rely on airports) Either ship will provide a great vacation, so enjoy.

I have been on Pride and will be on Legend March 17, we chose that based on some awesome reviews, ship size, itinerary, and there still are some great recent reviews for it. We are driving down, i project we will save at least $350 by driving, that savings is with fuel and hotel costs factored in. Many people tend to post negatives more than positives. I know to some the savings is not much but that savings will be used for next cruise!

We haven't had a lot of experience...once on Inspiration and twice on Legend (we're leaving Tuesday for the Fantasy), but we LOVED the Legend. Was everything perfect?..No, there's always something to complain about if you really look hard, but we don't look for things to complain about--we just enjoy every minute we can.

I would invite you to read more reviews and as another poster wrote -- drop the highest and lowest. My review is at maturecruisers.wordpress.com

If you loved "Pride" then you'll more than likely love "Legend". (Almost identical, but IMO "Legend" has a much nicer interior design than "Pride".) Glory is much more like "Triumph", but chances are you'd like it anyway. ;) Port of Tampa and TIA (Tampa International Airport) are much more "people friendly" IMO. In any case, with the information you've provided, I'd suggest booking "Legend". I think that ship, and port are a better fit for you.

Have a FANTASTIC cruise, whichever ship you decide on. :cool:

"SKY"

I really want to sail a Spirit Class ship. If I had to do the Western Caribbean again though, I'd sail the Glory again.

First off, Tampa has occasional fog delays in the mornings (when Legend returns to port for dis/embarkation). I've seen the Legend and Paradise leave hours later because of this. I've never read about it affecting their itinerary schedule much though. I just don't want to wait around a terminal constantly wondering when the next update will be.

Secondly, the Glory has the 2.0 upgrades. The Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers alone would make me want to sail on the Glory.

Third, Sailing out of Miami is awesome. You pass the highway, park, and South Beach. Many people wave, take pictures. Its a cool experience. Can't say I've sailed out of Tampa. Aside from the bridge though, it doesn't seem like it would be as much fun.

I thought I read the Legend has the Guy's Burger joint on there.

Am I wrong?

We are sailing on her in March and looking forward to a greasy hamburger!!

Glory! I was on the miracle and didn't like the spirit class ships at all. And all the fog drama from tampa has made me never want to cruise from there plus Miami is awesome at sail way. I'll never cruise from ft. Lauderdale again. Altho downfall w glory is they r missing Belize due to overcrowdedness and the legend is still going there.the glory is going to costa Maya. They folllow the glory on the western itinerary. Nonetheless can't wait to sail the glory in 28 days!

Been on both, and loved them both. I do like Spirit class (Legend) ships a bit better for their layout & the feeling of less crowded. However, Glory now has all the 2.0 upgrades and those Guys burgers are amazing.:D You really can't go wrong with either IMO.

I thought I read the Legend has the Guy's Burger joint on there.

Am I wrong?

We are sailing on her in March and looking forward to a greasy hamburger!!

My understanding is that Legend originally was supposed to get the Funship 2.0 upgrades this year but they've been postponed.

We've sailed both Glory (4x) and Legend (1x with another booked). My personal preference is Glory, ship-wise - I have found the Spirit-class Lido decks to get too crowded. However, it's obviously not stopping us from sailing Spirit-class ships! As SkyMaster said, if you enjoyed Pride, you'll enjoy Legend as well.

As for Costa Maya instead of Belize - we loved Costa Maya. The ruins at Chacchoben are only an hour away.

Don't forget to include port parking fees if driving. I have sailed sister ships to Glory and love their layouts, plus now the additional menu options and serenity area. Honestly Tampa is so easy to park, walk to ship and leave (no luggage fees, weighing it,more shopping that way) and Miami is a total zoo of an airport. Perhaps can drive to Miami with an afternoon stop in Orlando Disney village for son? Miami parking is right there at port, or a hotel like LaQuinta offers free parking during cruise and free shuttle as an option too. Sailing from Miami on starboard allows sights of shore,Fishers island and car ferry. More of a view of South Beach from port side. Tampa the neatness of going under sunshine bridge and "just clearing" it.

For me, the ports are the choice--can you post what they are to compare here?

we love the legend, if you read the reviews you will always find negative reviews. people are more prone to writing negative reviews then positive ones. some people are extra picky, some are just stuck up and think they walk on water. both ships will be great,

I have sailed both ships - although the Glory was in 2008 - before two upgrades. Depends on where you want to go - Eastern Caribbean I thought was better than Western. I will be back on the Glory in November doing the New England/Canada trip - looking forward to sailing her again - and the 2.0 upgrade, too. (Given the choice, I'd take the Glory)

As far as your airfare - I have been using booking buddy.com - put in the dates you want to fly, where from/to and set an alert - every time the price changes you will get an e-mail. I have one set now for November to LGA to meet my cousin to go on our cruise. Bookingbuddy got me a $250 round trip ticket ATL/SAN (Atlanta / San Diego) at Christmas this year - and I booked the flight in FEBRUARY! Having one of our family in the Marines and their family in San Diego with the rest of the family in the Atlanta area, we rely on Bookingbuddy.

We were on Glory, 3rd voyage after upgrades. This was also our first Carnival ship. We loved it and would sail her again. Guys is a must do.

Regarding transportation we flew AirTran into FLL. It was just DH and I. We used Go Airport Shuttle and it was $42 for both of us. We stayed in the Courtyard MIA, got the AAA rate, was about $120 with taxes and fees. Macy's has a free shuttle that takes you to the mall. The hotel offered a shuttle for $11 a person.

Archived