How often is Roatan missed?

Broncofans

Last time we were on the Dream (only time, I might add) Roatan was cancelled due to weather. I read a thread that said with the current Dream captain, this happens often. Does anyone know of a place to see statistically how often this happens? We are going to try it again I think but I'm not sure I should even get my hopes up to see Roatan. I would rather be mentally prepared tho time. I know that weather is and always will be a factor but we basically had beautiful weather with breezy conditions that day and not downpours and storms. Just wondering if there is a way to check odds.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Want to raise your odds? Don't cruise with any of the Carnival lines, including Princess and HAL. Those ships will generally dock (or attempt to) at Mahagony Bay, Carnival's manmade pier. They didn't design it well and when it is windy the ship captains always make a decision in favor of safety..passengers and ship. We missed Roatan once, only when cruising Princess.

No one can predict Mother Nature. However knowing which lines use Coxen Hole to dock will help you get a more positive result.;) That is the large public pier.

Edited by eandj

Since it is predominately a Carnival Corp. (Mahogany Bay) problem - I would call them and ask. Everyone thought they were crazy building the channel the way they did for this port and it has proven to be a problem. It is the wind (or breeze) that is the problem since the channel is very narrow and they have to back the ship in. Conditions must be ideal or its a no-go.

BTW: Other cruise lines that use Coxen Hole do not have this problem.

I am glad to know this.......I stopped in Roatan SEVERAL years ago, no problem, since

I am booked with Crown Princess in Feb.........with only 3 stops, I don't want to

miss one.....read info to late........already booked.

I was on Carnival Magic this past August and they announced that we would not be able to dock at Mahogany bay due to weather but would instead dock Coxen Hole. We did with no problems and our tour people knew of this change and were there to meet us!

I was on Carnival Magic this past August and they announced that we would not be able to dock at Mahogany bay due to weather but would instead dock Coxen Hole. We did with no problems and our tour people knew of this change and were there to meet us!

This happens ocassionally. However in the winter months when more ships are cruising the area, it isn't as easy to do. All depens on the scheduling.

I know we were turned away at MB last Jan. and then "tried" Coxen Hole. But our waiter told us the staff knows right away that the ship won't dock. But the Captain on our ship alwys makes the announcement that they would "try" to get in at Coxen. I guess just for good custmer service towards the unhappy cruisers.

We missed ratan two years ago on princess. We are booked on the dream for the end of the month. I really hope we get to stop. The staff on board on the day we missed were miserable. I guess they were looking forward to the day off or less people to deal with.

We missed ratan two years ago on princess. We are booked on the dream for the end of the month. I really hope we get to stop. The staff on board on the day we missed were miserable. I guess they were looking forward to the day off or less people to deal with.

MANY staff memebers like to use Roatan for their time off. So they are as disappointed as the passengers. The whole day's scheduling of events, meals etc changes for the staff too. Since Mahagony Bay is missed pretty often in the big scheme of things, they are however used to the drill and have a set schedule of evnts for that added sea day.

Edited by eandj

We were on The Dream a few years back and because it is such a large ship it could not dock at Mahagony Bay but went to Coxen instead. The tour guides were all there to meet us. Seems as if the bigger ships have a problem docking at Mahagony Bay if it is windy where the smaller or average size ship dock there with no problem. Hey, years ago there was a hurricane in July and we missed two Islands. Ya just never know. But any day on a cruise is better then a day at work :)

Seems as if the bigger ships have a problem docking at Mahagony Bay if it is windy where the smaller or average size ship dock there with no problem. :)

This is not at all accurate, All Carnival and sisters ships that go to Roatan have missed Mahogany Bay at one time or another, Even small ships get damaged when backing into a small dredge area in strong winds. DO NOT Believe if your on a smaller Carnival ship that you have any type of assurance of docking, it is all upon Mama Nature

In 2010 when we were on The Dream and it could not dock at Mahagony Bay but went to Coxen instead. It was either The Valor or The Victory that docked at Mahogony Bay right after we had tried. So the smaller ship was able to dock when the bigger Dream was not able to.

This is not at all accurate, All Carnival and sisters ships that go to Roatan have missed Mahogany Bay at one time or another, Even small ships get damaged when backing into a small dredge area in strong winds. DO NOT Believe if your on a smaller Carnival ship that you have any type of assurance of docking, it is all upon Mama Nature

Holden16 also stated: Ya just never know

So I think he covered the Mama Nature thing. I would think it is perfectly logical that in the event of high winds, the smaller ships would have a greater chance of making it in.

Cruising MSC and disappointed to be docking at Mahogany, they must have rented it from Carnival Corp. Prefer Coxen.....oh well.

Same happened to us. We were on the Dream in Jan. 2011 and could not dock at Mahogany Bay. However, another Carnival ship (Pride or Liberty) docked right before us. We just left Mahogany Bay last Thursday, Jan. 10th and it was extremely windy all week. White caps in the water and I thought for sure we were going to miss it again but after a few attempts the Captain was able to very slowly back the Glory in to port. :)

At the time when Coxen Holes dock was used with some regularity Carnivale would take advantage, especially when they had 2 ships in port. Hod the Dream not been able to Dock at Coxen Hole there is a good chnce it would have taken Mahogany Bay and the smaller ship missed the port. It ismore of an issue of Multiple ships rather than size of the ship,

I believe when consistant issues are present that a business that promises:mad: certain services should take note. While I don't expect that they can control the weather, they are likely aware how often a port is missed due to it! This should not be so easily shrugged off! Yes I want everyone to be safe. But I also expect that a corporation is doing all they can do to delivery the expected product. In my case I specifically booked this vacation this itinerary because it went to Roatan, its way too late now to change my plans and 6 others, but I will not just shrugg it off if the port is missed due to conditions that the corp is making appear as it is not there problem! And WILL expect more than just port fees for compensation!

Not happy hearing this at all! I feel that it is a mispresentation of the product I purchased!

It has been rumored that Carnival is aware of and wants to fix the situation. However, with cruises coming in and out all winter, nothing would be done to "fix" anything until "off cruise season" ...IF they do something at all. We missed the stop last Jan when cruising Princess.

I believe when consistant issues are present that a business that promises:mad: certain services should take note. While I don't expect that they can control the weather, they are likely aware how often a port is missed due to it! This should not be so easily shrugged off! Yes I want everyone to be safe. But I also expect that a corporation is doing all they can do to delivery the expected product. In my case I specifically booked this vacation this itinerary because it went to Roatan, its way too late now to change my plans and 6 others, but I will not just shrugg it off if the port is missed due to conditions that the corp is making appear as it is not there problem! And WILL expect more than just port fees for compensation!

Not happy hearing this at all! I feel that it is a mispresentation of the product I purchased!

Good luck....read your cruise contract. They can skip any port they want whenever they want. And when the weather deems it unsafe it gives them even more clout.

I know it is too late for this one, but perhaps a better way to tell them this is unacceptable is to put on the survey that you will not cruise with them again. That has a lot more pull than pretty much anything else.

I do have to add that I have been very lucky in that we have done 10 cruises (4 in the Mediterranean) and have not missed a port - yet ! Fingers and toes crossed as we have another Med cruise booked for October.

It has been rumored that Carnival is aware of and wants to fix the situation. However, with cruises coming in and out all winter, nothing would be done to "fix" anything until "off cruise season" ...IF they do something at all. We missed the stop last Jan when cruising Princess.

While we were there for a one week stay in July, Carnival Corp. line were the only ships that came, in even in the summer. So unless, they make arrangements to use Coxen Hole while they work on Mahogany Bay a "fix" won't happen. Of course, then they lose all their revenue from the fact that many stay at MB and spend $$ there. Kind of a lose-lose scenario. Will be interesting to see what happens.

• 5 weeks later...

I guess we were lucky. Last year our ship was able to dock and DW and I had a nice time on our shore excursion.

If you would like to see the pictures my wife used to make a slideshow for her website, you can click on the link below. Each slideshow will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

http://nancysoasis.com/roatan/roatan.html

I'm scheduled for this port on my first cruise end of April with the dream.... What happens if we can't dock and I have an excursion booked with a private vendor?

Did you prepay or offer credit card info to book your tour? You should have received the cancellation policy and steps they take when the ship misses the port. MOST reputable tour companies don't penalize you if the ship misses M Bay. It is too common to sting customers.