" Dress Up Only " restaurant ?

If your ship offered a " Dress Up Only " resturant, would you attend ?  

270 members have voted

1. 1. If your ship offered a " Dress Up Only " resturant, would you attend ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

I voted yes! Funny though, I thought that was the main dining room/formal dining room.

That's what it is "supposed to be"...hense the term "formal dining room" or "formal nights".....sigh...in a perfect world. But alas, we don't live in one.

To each their own. :rolleyes:

The DH and myself will still be dressing up for each other. We love it! :)

Cheers!

It's called "FORMAL NIGHT", not "Formal Night for Those Who Care to Join In".

I assume you mean this for the dining room not the whole ship? With the casual dining options RCI offers, formal night actually is "for those who care to join in," except of course in the dining room where formal night should be respected. That's the point of alternative dining. If you are not going to dress formally, don't try to go to the dining room. It's the one place I think the dress "suggestion" should be enforced.

beachchick

My BF and I go and spend a weekend at a mall (stay at a connected hotel) every year. We are going end of the month. We don't really need to buy anything (we already hit outlet malls about 2 months ago). We've already made plans to hit the Nordy's shoe department (wish we had one here) and try on evening dresses at every store in the mall.:)

i didnt know my wife had a long lost twin

I assume you mean this for the dining room not the whole ship? With the casual dining options RCI offers, formal night actually is "for those who care to join in," except of course in the dining room where formal night should be respected. That's the point of alternative dining. If you are not going to dress formally, don't try to go to the dining room. It's the one place I think the dress "suggestion" should be enforced.

beachchick

beachchick, I was referring to the main dining room only. Sorry if I wan't clear. :)

Are Chops & Portofino not dress-up places? If I was going out to a nice steak place here in Dallas I would definitely wear a tie at least or a nice sweater & slacks.

I would consider them "dress-up" places. Of course, that's just me. Some people think dressing up means wearing your best blue jeans. :rolleyes: (and no I'm not talking about C&W night!) ;)

Are Chops & Portofino not dress-up places? If I was going out to a nice steak place here in Dallas I would definitely wear a tie at least or a nice sweater & slacks.

They don't enforce the rules in the speciality restaurants either. We were seated next to a young couple in Chops, they were wearing t-shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes.

Since they don't care to even care to enforce the age limit, I don't think they'll turn anyone away :mad:

###

There's many of us out here. It's our response to men going hunting every weekend.

LOL!! :D

My DH does not do the "hunting" thing, but prefers to spend his spare time fishing. Pretty close to the same thing, I would think! :)

His wife catches more fish than he does! I also cast net for my own bait!

We both love to shop, but love to fish more!! He would never consider leaving me, his best fishing buddy, behind on the dock. Oh...not to mention I bought the boat!! :D

Cheers!

The problem I have with Formal Night is that it's more of an Imposition than an Invitation. On a ship like Grandeur, the options are: eating Dinner sitting on my bed in my inside cabin, eating at the buffet (ewww!), or in the Dinning Room with my Redneck, NASCAR, husband who doesn't feel like he has to follow any rules. It really takes ALL of the fun out of Formal Nights.

This time around, my parents are joining us and they don't have formal clothes. They have church clothes and will look very nice in them. (Nice enough for the Dinning Room). It will be really hard for me to show up in a gown and make them feel bad because they can't afford formal clothes. I'll be dressed really nice, but not in a gown.

BTW, You never know what a person's personal circumstances are when you see them dressed accross the room. My parents can only afford this cruise because my grandparents just passed and left them with a small amount of money that will probably be gone by the time this cruise is over. This is the first and only vacation they have ever been on. I'm not going to tell them they can't eat in the Dinning Room.

This is the first and only vacation they have ever been on. I'm not going to tell them they can't eat in the Dinning Room.

Jenny, I hope the four of you have a wonderful vacation!! :D Be sure to take lots of photos buy some postcards, etc. so they can refer to them in the future!

Are you packed yet ;)

###

Just curious, don't bite my head off...Do you think it's ok to wear nice jeans, high heals & a nice shirt on a casual night? Believe me it looks dressy if done the right way!! Comfy too!

Just curious, don't bite my head off...Do you think it's ok to wear nice jeans, high heals & a nice shirt on a casual night? Believe me it looks dressy if done the right way!! Comfy too!

Oh my, I could not care less what anyone wears no matter what time of the day it is or the location. However, there are a LOT of folks on here that disagree with me. If you still have time to edit your post I suggest you do just that!!! :D

Be ready for some lectures :mad:

Oh, I need to add that we don't eat any of our meals in the main dining room ;)

###

You must be new here. Some will tell you it is the end of civilization as we know it to wear denim in the dining room. You will also have ruined someone elses whole cruise. Soon even though you asked about casual night it will be turned around to be a question about formal night. Even though this is the Royal Caribbean forum the proper dress for Cunard will be brought up as the standard. Along will the America/European discussion, the young people discussion and the MacDonalds/Wal-Mart discussion etc. etc.

In real life however you are talking about casual night, Royal Caribbean's website no longer lists jeans as forbidden, many people wear them especially out of Galveston and it is a perfectly good look.

In my opinion - nice jeans is an oxymoron. The DR has linen and china not napkins and paper plates.

(Flame resistant suit is now on)

In my opinion - nice jeans is an oxymoron. The DR has linen and china not napkins and paper plates.

(Flame resistant suit is now on)

Aww...some of those paper plate/plastic fork places are fancy!! McDonalds in Europe serves wine!

"You want wine with that big mac, Madam?" ;)

Cheers!

You must be new here. Some will tell you it is the end of civilization as we know it to wear denim in the dining room. You will also have ruined someone elses whole cruise. Soon even though you asked about casual night it will be turned around to be a question about formal night. Even though this is the Royal Caribbean forum the proper dress for Cunard will be brought up as the standard. Along will the America/European discussion, the young people discussion and the MacDonalds/Wal-Mart discussion etc. etc.

You forgot the respect the host discussion, the wifebeater t-shirt discussion, the "I paid for this cruise and can wear what I want" discussion, the designer jeans with holes discussion, etc., and THEN it spirals down from there.. it gets pretty heated sometimes!! (like day before yesterday ;) )

IMO, jeans don't belong in the dining room, but if you really really really want to wear them on casual night, dress them up.

I wasn't looking to fight, I simply asked a question. All dressed up with a mouth like that, lets ask another question, who would you rather pass walking to the table, someone all fancied out with a gutter mouth looking to ruin someones cruise, or their own by picking on everyone else or me dressed nicely in a pair of jeans (& you've never seen me, I will looked VERY put together) but with a big smile in passing you saying Good Evening, hope your enjoying your cruise as much as me!! I asked for casual night politely, so your response could have been a little kinder. BTW...I like to be a leader, not a follower.

It is just these boards. It really isn’t like it sounds on the ship. I have been on three cruises and many land vacations and on all of them I really don't remember what anyone was wearing, even the people at my table. I was having so much fun and paying attention to the activities, the food, my family and friends and the ship that I can't really describe anyone's outfit. I wore jeans and a sweater on my last cruise on the first and last day because it was cold. Usually I wear shorts and tank tops during the day. I wear formals on formal night and sundresses on casual night. That is my style and what I feel comfortable wearing. If I were cruising Alaska I would be in jeans even more and I see nothing wrong with wearing them on the ship. I would definitely wear a pair after dinner on country night. Last cruise it was on formal night (I didn’t go change) and is it ever hard to boot scoot in a formal and heels. Maybe there are people out there who spend their vacation watching to see what everyone else is wearing and maybe they have found fault with my attire but then so what. I will never see them again and I had a great time and will do so again.

Who are you talking to, kingtns??? I (and others) were just trying to let you know it's a hot button topic that gets way out of hand sometimes, that's all. I laugh about how seriously some people take it and meant it as a "look out for what you might get into with this question" since it has been asked so many times (a search might not show much since some of the threads get yanked since they are so contentious). Others just gave their opinion without sugar-coating. Nobody said anything fighty/unkind/mouthy that I saw, especially compared to some of the answers I have seen on this topic! Did you want your original question answered or not? :confused:

sorry terri, not you, i was reading to many threads on this view & guess i just wanted to give mine.

your right keksie, who remembers who wears what, fun is fun & it should come from the inside, not what your wearing.

now let's have a drink & celebrate how lucky we are to all have 1 thing in commom, CRUISING...cheers!!!!!!!!!!

Archived