Only cruised Oasis and Allure. Thinking of going smaller. Will I be ok?

This year my family (dw,dd,and dd) did the Allure eastern. Last Year Oasis western. I just found out that my dw is taking me on a cruise for my 40th birthday next January. Just the 2 of us. I wast thinking about an 8 day on Independence despite the bad reviews she is getting right now. We docked next to Freedom is St Maarten and my dw and I both commented that it looked like a nice ship. So my question is after only being on the big girls will we be ok with the step down? Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks!

This year my family (dw,dd,and dd) did the Allure eastern. Last Year Oasis western. I just found out that my dw is taking me on a cruise for my 40th birthday next January. Just the 2 of us. I wast thinking about an 8 day on Independence despite the bad reviews she is getting right now. We docked next to Freedom is St Maarten and my dw and I both commented that it looked like a nice ship. So my question is after only being on the big girls will we be ok with the step down? Has anyone else been in this situation? Thanks!
Independence was the largest ship in the world just a few years ago. The two main sports activities it is "missing" are zip-line and dive show. Not quite as many entertainment venues as Oasis, but still always stuff going on. I have done B2B on Independence a few years ago and just did the TransAtlantic back from Southampton on her. All great cruises. The bad reviews may relate to the transition from her last few years based in England to being based in the Caribbean [not that I understand why that would be a problem]. I think you'll enjoy Indy UNLESS you spend all your time saying "But on Oasis we had..." But then again I enjoy sailing on any size vessel; they all have their good points.

enjoy

Thom

We have had 8 sails on Freedom of the Seas and LOVE the ship. We prefer it to Oasis and Allure, has all the good things of those huge ships but just a nicer smaller version in our opinion. RCCL is our total favorite of all we have sailed on and we have sailed them all. Freedom is a big new ship with great stabilization and all the frills. You will love it.

You mean that you are thinking about stepping away from the floating Cities of the Sea, and on to a real cruise ship!

Our favorite is a Radiance Class ship. She is one where there are windows everywhere, and the joy of watching the water while having a drink at the Schooner bar

We have been aboard the Freedom of the Seas. She is still a tad large for us, the Voyager Class has a good feeling.

We were on the Allure Pre inaugural 2 night cruise, and although she is beautiful, and has many places to explore, we cruise for the ports, and the feel of a ship.

So, stepping down, as you put it, you will probably feel a more personal service from everyone, better ports, at least new ones to explore, and the Freedom Class are probably more stable in rough seas than the Oasis Class.

I think that you will have a wonderful time. You will find lots to do, you will save money, and have a chance to decide for yourselves if cruising on that size of ship is for you!!

Enjoy!!:);)

Rick

Every ship has its charm and every cruise is what you make it. There will be things you miss, but you may find you like a smaller ship better. I have liked some more than others but haven't disliked any.

Another BIG plus is the Independence is an 8 night cruise, so you will get an extra night on the ship, and probably save money. We have done Oasis and Allure. They offer so many things to see and do, almost impossible to have any time to get some R&R. We have cruised Freedom once and Liberty 3X's. Also, cruised many of the smaller ships, and have always enjoyed our cruises. You must go into the cruise WITHOUT comparing the ship to Oasis/Allure, and you should have a fabulous cruise! The Independence (which we will be going on next month!) will have many venues and activities to keep you busy.

We have had 8 sails on Freedom of the Seas and LOVE the ship. We prefer it to Oasis and Allure, has all the good things of those huge ships but just a nicer smaller version in our opinion. RCCL is our total favorite of all we have sailed on and we have sailed them all. Freedom is a big new ship with great stabilization and all the frills. You will love it.
Totally agree with this post.Much prefer the Freedom except Celebrity is our favorite of all cruise lines,RCI comes in 2nd.;)

You mean that you are thinking about stepping away from the floating Cities of the Sea, and on to a real cruise ship!...
Hard for me to think that any ship which focuses on looking inward to a shopping mall [aka Promenade] is a "real cruise ship":p Not that I dislike large ships [in addition to having done the Oasis and Allure (and scheduled for the Oasis two weeks from now), I have spent 4 weeks on Indy, 2 weeks on Freedom, 10 days on Explorer and a week on Mariner].

I'll agree that the feel of the sea being just outside a window almost anywhere on Radiance class makes one really know that they are on a cruise. Hard to believe that Royal Caribbean's Song of America [still sailing as the Louis Olympia] was the world's largest purpose built cruise ship [ie not built as a TransAtlantic liner] at 37 thousand GRT when launched in 1982, and was considered by many to be too large.

Thom

We have sailed Voyager and Freedom class since we started sailing on Oasis and really had no problem going back to these ships at all. And we have Indy booked for this coming March. If you are thinking about Indy's 8 night itinerary I think that you will really like it and it is a much better itinerary than what Oasis and Allure are doing.

If you are really into specialty restaurants then your choices will be more limited. If you are really into 10 second zip lining then you will be missing that. The Aqua theater is one Oasis venue that I really enjoy that is missing on the other ships but I enjoy it when I am on Oasis and find plenty of other things to enjoy when I am on the other ships.

Also remember, if you do Oasis or Allure again the shows are going to be pretty much what you have already seen on your past cruises. Indy is an awesome ship but only you can decide what works for you.

Hard for me to think that any ship which focuses on looking inward to a shopping mall [aka Promenade] is a "real cruise ship":p Not that I dislike large ships [in addition to having done the Oasis and Allure (and scheduled for the Oasis two weeks from now), I have spent 4 weeks on Indy, 2 weeks on Freedom, 10 days on Explorer and a week on Mariner].

I'll agree that the feel of the sea being just outside a window almost anywhere on Radiance class makes one really know that they are on a cruise. Hard to believe that Royal Caribbean's Song of America [still sailing as the Louis Olympia] was the world's largest purpose built cruise ship [ie not built as a TransAtlantic liner] at 37 thousand GRT when launched in 1982, and was considered by many to be too large.

Thom

I started my love affair with cruising on the original "Love Boat", the old Pacific Princess at just under 21,000 GRT, and thought that she was very large!

We all enjoy different things in life, including the size and feel of a cruise ship.

Many people today are experiencing their first cruise on an Oasis class ship. It has so much to see and do, and I understand that.

And I'm not a fan of the interior promanade, but that is what we get to put up with on those classes of ships.;)

Rick

I think you'll enjoy Indy UNLESS you spend all your time saying "But on Oasis we had..." But then again I enjoy sailing on any size vessel; they all have their good points.

enjoy

Thom

Very good advice!

We enjoyed our cruises on Allure and Oasis very much. However, we fell in love with cruising on the smaller ships. We have not had a problem going back to them.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

Going from Oasis Class to Freedom class... No problem... My first cruise was Oasis - in my post-cruise bliss I HAD to go again and booked the Grandeur for 4 mos later. I survived and had a fantastic time!! Since then I've had 23 nights on the big ships and my next will be the Rhapsody.... One of these days I have to get on a Voyager class just to see how the middle of the road is ;)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

.... One of these days I have to get on a Voyager class just to see how the middle of the road is
Not very different. Freedom class design name was Ultra-Voyager. Take 92 feet out of Freedom between the elevators [ie shorten the Promenade and remove the H2O Zone and some cabins], and remove the Flowrider and you basically have the Voyager class. One neat item on Voyager that is not on Freedom is the peek-a-boo bridge; there is a viewing port from the deck above into the bridge, so anyone can see what goes on there.

Thom

Going from Oasis Class to Freedom class... No problem... My first cruise was Oasis - in my post-cruise bliss I HAD to go again and booked the Grandeur for 4 mos later. I survived and had a fantastic time!! Since then I've had 23 nights on the big ships and my next will be the Rhapsody.... One of these days I have to get on a Voyager class just to see how the middle of the road is ;)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Glad to hear this! I'm sure we will love it. Gonna go ahead and book it. Any reason that I wouldn't want deck 6 mid ship for our ov balcony?

Thank you all for the quick and meaningful responses! Appreciate it. :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

If you were taking the kids on a long cruise on one of the smaller ships there maybe a concern, but getting away somewhere warm with just the wife on any ship where you they make your bed, cook your food, and you just show up and have fun is a great time no matter what. My wife and I loved both Majesty and Jewel and are headed back to Allure again. The Freedom class is a great class, don't worry about recent reviews, things will settle in to normal soon enough.

Archived