Metal Detectors / Pace-Makers

Nymue

Good Afternoon Everyone

My husband and I love to travel, but due to health issues we have really had to scale back the past 2 years. So this spring will be our first good trip in a while, also our first TA. My concern however is, I'm now battery powered This fall I recieved a pace-maker, I know in english speaking situations it shouldn't be a problem & I have a card that I keep in my wallet. My concern is in non- english speaking countries.

If anyone has ever encountered, or known anyone that has encountered this situation before, I would dearly love to here how they solved it.

Much Thanks in Advance, Anne

We travel with allergies. One year I made up allergy cards in the languages of the countries we would be visiting. Printed them on business cardstock. I used GoogleTranslate.

This could be useful for your medical issue.

There are medical translation companies that specialize in these cards.

Here is one company

http://selectwisely.com/

I do not have any interest/money in this company.

I have had a pacemaker since 1995 and since then we have traveled to over 75 countries without any problems. I try not to go thru the x-ray, even thou my doctor has said it is not dangerous.

1. If I am in the US, I usually ask for a pat-down and explain that it is because I have a pacemaker. BE ADVISED, this may take a lot longer to go thru TSA check point. I usually have to wait for a FEMALE checker to be called, then they take me thru the SIDE gate and ask me to stand with arms out while they do the pat down. I have never had ANY checker place her hands in any way that would be offensive or invasive....they use the back of their hands to go around the brest area. They sometimes also go around the belt area with their hands. The only problem with this type of check is that my belongings are on the conveyer belt BY THEM SELVES for quite a long time and I am trying to keep an eye on them while turning around for the checker to do both front and back.

2. In a foreigh country: It depends on the circumstances...If I am only going thru one check point for the day and it has been, at least, a few days since I have gone thru another one....I just walk thru. I have not had any problems with my pacemaker while doing this. ALSO if you are in a hurry and your connection is short..just go thru it. It also depends on where I am. I have done PAT DOWNS in many countries and they usually understand me when I tell them that I have a pacemaker. I do have a card that was given me by the company that made the pacemaker, but I have never taken it out of my purse.....

Language has not been a problem. They all seems to understand the word pacemaker... I have even had some countries that just waved me thru without a pat down???? I should explain that I am a Jewish senior citizen, USA passport, married and traveling with my husband (most of the time)

Recently, my husband started traveling with a mobility scooter, so now he is taken thru the gate area and must also do a pat down or wand. The only problem we have is that, now both our belongings are sitting on the conveyer for a longer time and neither of us is close to them.

3. Traveling on a ship: Much the same, I usually have to wait for a female to do a pat down. They understand that I do not want to walk thru the detector..

Archived