Can I rent a car @ Port Everglades and return @ FLL????

InEEDofAcruise

My family is going on the 5 night cruise on LOS out of FT LAUDERDALE on Jan 14th.

Our flight home is not until 545PM.

I was hoping that I could either rent a car directly at the Peir and return at the airport. Then take the day to do some sight seeing in FT LAUDERDALE.

Is there is a rental car company that I can either pick up the car at the pier or one that offers free pickup from the port and drop off at the airport?

Worse case, I suppose I could taxi to the airport and rent a car there and go... but I was hoping to avoid the extra $10-20 taxi fee and try to cut out the middle man.

Anyone with experience or from the area that can provide some insight????

THANKS!

We've always done Thrifty's for great prices and service at FLL and as far as I know, it will still have a shuttle from the port to the airport, no charge to pick up a car ...not far away, and so you can do a circuit for the day to return back to the airport.

I came to this thread to see how we go about renting a car and dropping off our luggage at the port for departure but now you've given me the idea to do the same as you're planning on arrival back prior to our evening flight. Hope someone with more recent experience will confirm this.

I'd like to find out if hubby can drop me off at the port with the luggage and have our check in bags taken so I can board with carryon while he takes off to the airport to return the car and take the shuttle back to join me aboard. Otherwise, I guess we'll both go to the airport and take the shuttle luggage and all to the port.

My family is going on the 5 night cruise on LOS out of FT LAUDERDALE on Jan 14th.

Our flight home is not until 545PM.

I was hoping that I could either rent a car directly at the Peir and return at the airport. Then take the day to do some sight seeing in FT LAUDERDALE.

Is there is a rental car company that I can either pick up the car at the pier or one that offers free pickup from the port and drop off at the airport?

Worse case, I suppose I could taxi to the airport and rent a car there and go... but I was hoping to avoid the extra $10-20 taxi fee and try to cut out the middle man.

Anyone with experience or from the area that can provide some insight????

THANKS!

Most of the rental companies have locations near the port and run shuttles. Whether you want to wait for the shuttle to do it's rounds to save a few dollars on taxi fare is up to you. Alamo and National also run a shuttle bus from the port to the airport rental center if you wanted to use them. Google car rental codes and you will come up with a few that can also save you a few bucks.

We've always done Thrifty's for great prices and service at FLL and as far as I know, it will still have a shuttle from the port to the airport, no charge to pick up a car ...not far away, and so you can do a circuit for the day to return back to the airport.

I came to this thread to see how we go about renting a car and dropping off our luggage at the port for departure but now you've given me the idea to do the same as you're planning on arrival back prior to our evening flight. Hope someone with more recent experience will confirm this.

I'd like to find out if hubby can drop me off at the port with the luggage and have our check in bags taken so I can board with carryon while he takes off to the airport to return the car and take the shuttle back to join me aboard. Otherwise, I guess we'll both go to the airport and take the shuttle luggage and all to the port.

Many people go in to the port and drop luggage off before returning the car. Some even leave people at the port and return the car alone. If there is a long line outside, you might consider that, so long as you both have phones so you can hook up when he gets back. But the lines do move quickly and you might be in a situation where you are at the door before he gets back. In this case, I think you'd just have to wait there and let people go ahead of you. I don't believe you can check in and board the ship without your husband being with you, but you'd have to check with the cruise line about that.

Having done it both ways, I just find it easier to return the car and all of us and our luggage goes together to the port.

Most of the rental companies have locations near the port and run shuttles. Whether you want to wait for the shuttle to do it's rounds to save a few dollars on taxi fare is up to you. Alamo and National also run a shuttle bus from the port to the airport rental center if you wanted to use them. Google car rental codes and you will come up with a few that can also save you a few bucks.

Many people go in to the port and drop luggage off before returning the car. Some even leave people at the port and return the car alone. If there is a long line outside, you might consider that, so long as you both have phones so you can hook up when he gets back. But the lines do move quickly and you might be in a situation where you are at the door before he gets back. In this case, I think you'd just have to wait there and let people go ahead of you. I don't believe you can check in and board the ship without your husband being with you, but you'd have to check with the cruise line about that.

Having done it both ways, I just find it easier to return the car and all of us and our luggage goes together to the port.

As long as both of you have your own SetSail pass you can board separately...but why would you want too...all part of the fun and the arrival picture together...I agree with dropping the car off first and take the shuttle together with your luggage...really no big deal.

As long as both of you have your own SetSail pass you can board separately...but why would you want too...all part of the fun and the arrival picture together...I agree with dropping the car off first and take the shuttle together with your luggage...really no big deal.

THanks All!

I talked to Thrifty and confirmed they indeed have a shuttle from Port Everglades!

AND I found a coupon code for a convertable mustang for the price of compact!!

Thanks again!

You can drop off your checked luggage with the porters---no need to wait with the bags. We drop off the bags and both go to return the car keeping our carry-ons with us. :)

Why ? No need to do this and navigate the port traffic in/out...Just as easy to use the rentals shuttle service...JMHO ;):)

THanks All!

I talked to Thrifty and confirmed they indeed have a shuttle from Port Everglades!

AND I found a coupon code for a convertable mustang for the price of compact!!

Thanks again!

Nice...we use Thrifty also..couldn't be easier...Enjoy !!

Why ? No need to do this and navigate the port traffic in/out...Just as easy to use the rentals shuttle service...JMHO ;):)

We usually get to the port around 1pm and have never had a problem with traffic there. Since there are 4 of us and we are older folks we find it easier to only have to handle the heavy luggage once.

Marge

IMO...The two most annoying people on every cruise are...

1. Ship's Photographers

2. Beverage Servers selling the "Drink of the Day."

Thanks. We didn't care about anything fancy so arriving the day before, we managed to do "hot deal" at Thrifty's and got a Focus for $20 for a day! ($30 with tax). I thought about it and as we have an evening flight, can't do wrong renting a car for part of the day so we can store luggage and go shopping or whatever... hot deal went down to $17 for the 9:30 to 5:30pm slot so that's cheaper than cabs because of their shuttle services to port etc! How do they make money!

I agree with ship photos...but HAL is a ship of choice because they have had a line to bypass the photographs if not interested..YEA! Never been a hassle and more than not, it's harder to get a waiter when you want it and I've NOT been hassled by waiters so no complaints there but I've seen it on other ships for sure.

IMO...The two most annoying people on every cruise are...

1. Ship's Photographers

2. Beverage Servers selling the "Drink of the Day."

Still important to some and why I noted it..We have lately found it easier and easier to avoid at least the ships photog..On our most recent western med cruise out of Barcelona that first welcome onboard photo wasn't until you were already onboard (not the usual pre-board location) and was easy to avoid..As far as the DOD..each to their own..take it or leave it ;)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with dropping your own bags and then returning the rental. When the shuttles are extremely full with all of the chaos the risk of your bags being dropped off at the wrong prier without your knowlegde is too great. I have seen this happen. Driver is trying to be helpful and no one notices. :(