West Bay Beach... ??

Funseekers

abvhoffs,

If you haven't already booked with your credit card and are still feeling uncomfortable giving it to the vendor, check if your credit card company offers a "create virtual account number" option. One of my cards (citibank) does and whenever I am in a situation like yours, I have been able to create a substitute (virtual) account number with them that temporarily replaces my real credit card number for the transaction. This option also lets you set a limit on how much the vendor can charge to the number and a time limit. Therefore if someone were to try to charge your card a larger amount or use it later again-it will not work and they don't have your actual credit card number. This is a free service with citibank but I bet other credit cards may offer the same option. Hope this helps!

Very interesting. I have never heard of this option. Will have to keep it in mind for future use. Thanks for sharing !

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The beaches in Roatan are ALL public.

Now they are and have always charged for the use of their chairs/loungers/palapas and/or toys. They also charge for day passes (only worth it if you want to use their pool in my opinion).

They can also charge for you to GO THRU their property TO the beach but that is easily avoided since there are public access areas. The most widely used one on West Bay Beach is alongside Banananrama. The taxi drivers all use it and there is even a small area back from the beach where they park.

Not sure how these rumors get started..... btw: just returned from a one week stay (Christmas week) at Infinity Bay. This was our 3rd visit to Roatan and we will go back again !!!! Paradise found :)

I emailed the Mayan Princess and they had 3 prices...$10 for access $25 chair,pool,etc. $65 w. lunch. We would like to get a couple of more people to go with us to West Bay beaches and book one of the tour people for the day...costs about the same as just back and forth and you get some sights and someone there to take you back. We are on the Crown Mar.2 so Roatan is Mar. 5.

Did you book Rony ?

Hi all -

Just returned from visit to Roatan on 1/24/13. Wanted to update regarding accessing West Bay Beach for FREE since there has been much concern lately about having to pay to use the road by Bananarama that everyone was used to using for free.

We booked Victor Bodden private tour for the day (EXCELLENT CHOICE - we requested Frankie as driver-I'd read good reviews on him- and we thought Frankie was GREAT... but I stray:D).

After touring and ziplining, we had Frankie drive us to the beach access next to Bananarama. The road is a skinny, bumpy, pothole filled access and our driver drove right down it and dropped us behind Bananarama. Sorry, I shoulda thought to snap pictures, but I'll try to describe it for those that haven't been before....

There is tiny guard shack on the LEFT side of the skinny road (think alley) that bumps up to a fence. The fence extends some distance before the guard shack and runs all the way to beginning of the beach. The road/alley is approx. 12-14 feet wide (the shack is TINY). On the RIGHT side of the road/alley is Bananarama property. There is a chain that is drawn across approximately 80% of the road/alley and is set back (toward the beach side) about 4 feet from the guard shack. To enter the road/alley you PASS the guard shack and about 4' past it you veer to the left and enter the 3-4 foot opening in the chain barrier.

So, our driver dropped us off and we hopped out clutching fins and snorkles and merrily strolled toward the guard shack. There were 3 guards/staff in and around the tiny booth. We smiled and nodded and kept walking like we KNEW what we were doing and simply strolled past them, veered left and passed thru the opening in the chain barricade and headed straight for the beach. Reached the beach and turned left and headed straight for the area of beach in front of Infinity Bay resort & Tabayana Beach.

Nobody said a peep to us. We returned via the same way 1 1/2 hours later and went to car to get stuff. Followed exact same process to return to the beach. Once again, no request for $$$ - no challenges issued - nothing. Please note: I did NOT approach the guards. I did NOT converse with them. Nothing. Just strolled past them. I'm thinking if YOU feel uncomfortable strolling by them and choose to TALK to them, they gonna try to talk you outta your $$ :D.

Special THANK YOU to Guest2000 for input prior to my trip!

Archived