West Bay Beach... ??

Funseekers

I only know of one public access to the beach, the one at Bananarama.. one could post a guard there to take the $10 and at any other access I don't know about. There may be public access on the Infinity side of Coral Sands..but I am not sure what the deal is on the proper road end.

I have been staying on West Bay Beach annually for 13 years and never worn a wrist band of any kind. While there are resorts that do this..I think mostly those that offer AI.

It will be interesting to see if any one who has to pay the fee figures out what it is about. :0)

We went to Bananarama a few years ago via the public access alley. This time around there was a security stand and you had to pay $10 for a wristband. The fee was supposed to include a lounger but they were out of loungers. I asked if we could forego the fee if we just sat on our towels and she said "no". She said we still had to pay the $10 but would give us a free drink instead of a lounger. I don't know what's going on but just wanted to share our experience and warn others about the "fee".

I have been staying on West Bay Beach annually for 13 years and never worn a wrist band of any kind. While there are resorts that do this..I think mostly those that offer AI.

We always rent directly from the owner instead of from the resort out of the rental pool. That way we always know exactly which unit we will be in. At check in you are given the option of purchasing the AI meal program but since we like to eat all over we do not. We do, however, attach a credit card to our condo which allows us to sign for drinks, meals etc. You are given a different color wristband so it serves to allow that as well as access to the resort.

I wonder what would happen if someone staying at a resort told the "security stand person" that they were only walking home. We used this access many many times coming back and forth from Celestes or the small grocery. I guarantee they would have a hard time getting $10. out of me on my next visit.

I still think this is aimed at cruisers. You can always tell them by the ships towels and all the stuff they are carrying. Most land visit people don't have that.

I have also sent a query to Infinity Bay asking about this. Will see what they say.

We always rent directly from the owner instead of from the resort out of the rental pool. That way we always know exactly which unit we will be in. At check in you are given the option of purchasing the AI meal program but since we like to eat all over we do not. We do, however, attach a credit card to our condo which allows us to sign for drinks, meals etc. You are given a different color wristband so it serves to allow that as well as access to the resort.

I wonder what would happen if someone staying at a resort told the "security stand person" that they were only walking home. We used this access many many times coming back and forth from Celestes or the small grocery. I guarantee they would have a hard time getting $10. out of me on my next visit.

I still think this is aimed at cruisers. You can always tell them by the ships towels and all the stuff they are carrying. Most land visit people don't have that.

I have also sent a query to Infinity Bay asking about this. Will see what they say.

Exactly... the wrist band allows the resort staff to identify you. Not all resorts have or need this. I personally prefer NOT to be bagged and tagged. :0)

I am very much looking forward to what Infinity has to say.

This time around there was a security stand and you had to pay $10 for a wristband.

Ahh so Bananarama is cracking down... good for them, far to many people were abusing their hospitality.

Foster's has a bridge, on cruise day and week ends someone mans the bridge access.

If someone is truly motivated, perhaps an email sent to Bananarama is a good idea as well.

Exactly... the wrist band allows the resort staff to identify you. Not all resorts have or need this. I personally prefer NOT to be bagged and tagged. :0)

I am very much looking forward to what Infinity has to say.

Ahh so Bananarama is cracking down... good for them, far to many people were abusing their hospitality.

Foster's has a bridge, on cruise day and week ends someone mans the bridge access.

If someone is truly motivated, perhaps an email sent to Bananarama is a good idea as well.

HaHa...bagged and tagged - good one. I don't mind the wristband if it allows me to sign for my drinks (oh and food too) :) We usually take it off after the first couple of days when all the waiters and guards recognize us.

I was thinking more about this..... and seems the big question is - is the access alongside Bananarama on their property ? Not sure what they are doing is right if it truly IS a public access (road, path or whatever)....... we have been told it is.....but ?????

I understand the need to crack down. People (tourists) will take advantage at any opportunity. But unless the access is on their property - seems this is wrong.

Thought I would check their website first...... scroll down to the part about not wanting to book a package.......

http://www.bananaramadive.com/cruise-shippers/index.html

Also, this website has been updated since the first of the year.

It appears the fee is to use ANY of the facilities/enter the property.

NOW, that said - I am sure that they will let you enter the property if you wish to eat lunch. And I feel pretty confident that after you eat they will let you use the restrooms.

Nuff said.

A bit of added info for those curious.

Directly from Bananarama:

The road from the West Bay mall is actually owned by Paradise Beach club....it is not public, but walking down the road to the beach is not a problem... just keep on the road and go past the security check point. Please keep in mind that the beach is public, but absolutely nothing comes with it in Honduras in regards to amenities such as showers, security, restrooms, etc...

So the $10 is as we expected... for access to Bananarama, has nothing to do with the road next to Thirsty Turtle. This means the beach and access at this time are still free.

Personally, I think Bananarama needed security, far to many people were using the amenities there without paying.. electricity to pump water alone will break a person's bank account. :)

A bit of added info for those curious.

Directly from Bananarama:

So the $10 is as we expected... for access to Bananarama, has nothing to do with the road next to Thirsty Turtle. This means the beach and access at this time are still free.

Personally, I think Bananarama needed security, far to many people were using the amenities there without paying.. electricity to pump water alone will break a person's bank account. :)

Totally fascinating post Guest. Was this an email to you in response to an inquiry you made, I assume?? Or is this on their site hiding somewhere?

If an email, is it possible to have you forward it to me? We're leaving on Sunday 1/20 for our cruise and would like to print it out and take it with us, just in case.... for WHATEVER good it would do. ROFL Will also, of course, post when I return as to just WHAT we did and how we did it to access the beach in Roatan. lol

Thanks - Amy

PEACEKEEPER1900 at HOTMAIL dot com

AHA ! Mystery solved.

Thanks Guest2000 !

I agree about those who take advantage of facilities. While we were there recently we spoke with one of the owners (he made our Vintage Pearl reservations for us). Seems the resort is still for sale altho not all the owners wish to sell. The ones that do not, are hoping that at some point they can buy out those who do. It is a neat resort with some unique features. But I agree that they needed the added security.

It is just too bad that some come back and report incorrect info tho. Some people still just want to go sit on a towel and enjoy this gorgeous place....so glad to hear that those who want to do that - still can :D

Thanks again.

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry earlier. I have a few more questions and i suppose this thread is as good as any.

I think we have decided to go with Bananrama for the day, so this leads me to a new question. What can I expect as far as prices go for food and drinks, not only beer but soda too?

I think we have decided to go with Bananrama for the day, so this leads me to a new question. What can I expect as far as prices go for food and drinks, not only beer but soda too?

http://www.bananaramadive.com/menu/thirstyturtle/index-weeklyspecial.html

You'll find what you need here. We find the prices at most of the places along the beach to be reasonable like the above. Don't feel stuck there to eat or drink. Walk the beach and check them all out to find the view and atmosphere you need at the time;)

http://www.bananaramadive.com/menu/thirstyturtle/index-weeklyspecial.html

You'll find what you need here. We find the prices at most of the places along the beach to be reasonable like the above. Don't feel stuck there to eat or drink. Walk the beach and check them all out to find the view and atmosphere you need at the time;)

Also depends on what drinks you drink. Many places will have local beers for $2.00 - they are quite good too.

I agree - there are tons of places you can eat. With lots of choices of things to eat.

I've read several recommendations for West Bay Beach and Bananarama...so I emailed them to reserve 4 Beach Day passes while we're docked there next month. (We liked the idea of having transportation to/from the dock and snorkel gear included in the beach day package).

I received an email requesting our credit card information because we need to pay in full before we get there. I am not comfortable sending my credit card info via email to them. They said we could also call and give our credit card info over the phone, but I'd rather not do that either. Also, is it unusual for them to request the full amount up front? Am I just being overly cautious? I guess I don't have a level of trust with this vendor yet. Has anyone else worked with Bananarama who could vouch for their trustworthiness?

Thanks!!! :D

While I have not booked this option with them, we were just there for a week stay nearby at Infinity Bay.

We met one of the owners when we walked down one morning to make our dinner reservations at the Vintage Pearl restaurant onsite. Nice guy. Opened the restaurant and made our reservations even tho we interrupted his breakfast ;)

I think more and more tour operators are opting to do this. I don't have statistics for Roatan but I know that "no-shows" are a big problem for tour operators in Europe and many require at least a hefty deposit. Most have a good refund policy if you cancel within a reasonable amount of time OR IF THE SHIP DOESNT DOCK FOR SOME REASON. This last one is important if you are docking in Mahogany Bay since ships seem to miss docking here often.

I would imagine they limit the number of passes each day and if some people no show - they lose revenue.

Only you can decide what is within your "comfort level". We have done this many times and have never had a problem. But I do usually use my AmericanExpress if possible just in case since they have a great policy on problem solving issues like you could have by paying up front.

I've read several recommendations for West Bay Beach and Bananarama...so I emailed them to reserve 4 Beach Day passes while we're docked there next month. (We liked the idea of having transportation to/from the dock and snorkel gear included in the beach day package).

I received an email requesting our credit card information because we need to pay in full before we get there. I am not comfortable sending my credit card info via email to them. They said we could also call and give our credit card info over the phone, but I'd rather not do that either. Also, is it unusual for them to request the full amount up front? Am I just being overly cautious? I guess I don't have a level of trust with this vendor yet. Has anyone else worked with Bananarama who could vouch for their trustworthiness?

While Bananarama has a very good reputation, there are no guarantees in life. :0)

Perhaps you could look into a card with a very low credit balance, one you would only use in cases such as these. Or have a chat with with your credit card company to see what they suggest. :)

We have a couple travel only credit cards that are opened for specific purposes. Limits vary. ie...We only use Capital One in foreign countries so we aren't charged any conversion fees. And we make sure we check billing asap after arriving home to catch anything "weird".

Are you charged up front for the passes from Bananarama or are they using your credit card as a guaranteed HOLD as most hotels do when booking? And not charging anything until your actual visit.

Banarama is very popular and counts on good references. But, as Guest says, it's a matter of what you feel comfortable with. Make your plans around that comfort zone.

There was a time when the Mayan Princess Resort was asking for Photocopies of Passports and credit cards. YIKES. Now that was totally a no-go for us. I think they have stopped that process.

I agree that i thought this was strange when i emailed them too. However a local number to call seems safer than some of the other sites that offer excursions.

I think i am going to bite the bullet and go with them and then wander the beach for food/drink, honestly the food prices seem a little high to me but maybe they are all like that.

I agree that i thought this was strange when i emailed them too. However a local number to call seems safer than some of the other sites that offer excursions.

I think i am going to bite the bullet and go with them and then wander the beach for food/drink, honestly the food prices seem a little high to me but maybe they are all like that.

I agree, I find all the food prices in West Bay high..thank goodness I don't go down for the food. :0)

gotta chime in here....... as for the prices of food on West Bay Beach....

Remember this is a tourist area. Last visit I had their taco salad. $10.00

It was HUGE. And really really good. Very fresh, taco meat was well seasoned and I ate the whole thing :eek:

If you check prices of other resort areas (San Juan, Grand Cayman etc) these aren't so high.

And.... I just checked Applebees menu online..... out of 5 salads listed the cheapest was $10.29

One of our best meals was at Lighthouse Restaurant in West End Village (you can take a water taxi for $3.00 per person - 8-10 minute ride) DH had a plate of fried lobster (1.5 tails) with fries and fruit for $ 9.00 !

Just look around West Bay - there are a number of places to eat - all prices

abvhoffs,

If you haven't already booked with your credit card and are still feeling uncomfortable giving it to the vendor, check if your credit card company offers a "create virtual account number" option. One of my cards (citibank) does and whenever I am in a situation like yours, I have been able to create a substitute (virtual) account number with them that temporarily replaces my real credit card number for the transaction. This option also lets you set a limit on how much the vendor can charge to the number and a time limit. Therefore if someone were to try to charge your card a larger amount or use it later again-it will not work and they don't have your actual credit card number. This is a free service with citibank but I bet other credit cards may offer the same option. Hope this helps!

Archived