West Bay Beach... ??

Funseekers

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The beaches in Roatan are ALL public.

Now they are and have always charged for the use of their chairs/loungers/palapas and/or toys. They also charge for day passes (only worth it if you want to use their pool in my opinion).

They can also charge for you to GO THRU their property TO the beach but that is easily avoided since there are public access areas. The most widely used one on West Bay Beach is alongside Banananrama. The taxi drivers all use it and there is even a small area back from the beach where they park.

Not sure how these rumors get started..... btw: just returned from a one week stay (Christmas week) at Infinity Bay. This was our 3rd visit to Roatan and we will go back again !!!! Paradise found :)

If something has not changed greatly since the last time I was down..

If the above is not clear do to the use if "they"

The beach is free.

Amenities like potties, food, loungers and the like are chargeable by the resorts who own them.

Sorry - "they" refers to the hotels/resorts the OP was asking about.

I have not been to Turquoise Bay but it would not be my first choice. It is even further east than Pristine Bay (which I have been to) and while the water and reefs are all around the island it is somewhat isolated. That might be great for some but we tend to like more choices.

If you go to West Bay Beach (which is about a mile long) whether with a tour or in a taxi, you also have the option to take the water taxi (a small panga type boat) to West End Village (about an 8-10 minute ride) for $3.00 per person one way. It is a very cool village with shops, bars, restaurants, galleries etc. and worth an hour or two especially if you want to pick up some souvenirs. It is also accessible by regular taxi but the water taxi is more fun. The water taxis run all the time so no worries about getting back to your starting point. Or you can take a taxi back to the ship directly from West End Village.

You might want to google a map of Roatan and familiarize yourself with the island.

And last but not least, if you are a snorkeler or diver, the reef is the best at West Bay beach since it is so close to shore and large and healthy.

Hope this helps.

PS: Not sure I would want to book a tour with a company who is not being honest with me from the very start ?????

Texan, what was the lastest time the water taxi went to and fro to West End when you were there? I know they stop service at some point...can't remember the time tho. Just figuring out how late we could hang out there before heading back to IBay if wanting to use the boat service.

If no boat service, do you know what car cab fare would be back to I Bay from West End?

Thank you!! Im so glad to hear that. :)

Im not sure why this tour company is telling me this... hmmmm ?? They mentioned to me about going to Turquoise Bay Resort. Do you know any thing about that area?

I would ask the tour company to clarify..sometimes the language barrier is a challenge.

I believe the choice between the two a personal matter.

If you wish a quiet day in one spot have a go with Turquoise Bay.

If you need more entertainment being around people or wish to explore the west end of the island..then have a go with West Bay.

I do not believe the snorkeling to be a good reason to stay in West Bay being Turquoise Bay has a boat going to the reef..and it is possible the reef is a far better condition being it is not over run with tourist.

eandj: the last water taxi is at 10 pm (if the weather permits) We had one or two windy days and I don't think they ran that late - so I would check with some of the guys running the boats. We never did use the IB taxi - there was never anyone there to drive it. We just used the small panga type boat guys.

We ever actually took a taxi direct from West End to West Bay - but it should be about $10 (+ or -)

And...... was at our dive shop here this afternoon and talked with one of the owners. They just did a dive trip to Roatan and stayed at Turquoise Bay. She confirmed my thoughts in that it is pretty isolated. Nothing near it. Hope this helps.

texancruzer ~ are you speaking of the Infinity Bay water taxi or in general? I was always under the impression the water taxi do not run after dark unless by special arrangement and not at all in bad weather.

I also believe the later you go looking for a land taxi the higher the price will be to get back to West Bay. I doubt $10 will cover it being they know you have no choice. :0)

texancruzer ~ are you speaking of the Infinity Bay water taxi or in general? I was always under the impression the water taxi do not run after dark unless by special arrangement and not at all in bad weather.

I also believe the later you go looking for a land taxi the higher the price will be to get back to West Bay. I doubt $10 will cover it being they know you have no choice. :0)

The IB water taxi (the green and white one) was always sitting at the pier- but there was NEVER anyone in it to drive us to West End. We asked and were told they start running at 2 pm but again, no one was EVER there.

So we just took the small independent panga type boat taxis as there always seemed to be one available and ready to go. And yes they were running in the dark. We also asked about that and were told they will run until 10pm weather permitting. I personally did not use one - small boat + dark water + no lights = I don't use them ;)

Perhaps the land taxi cost might be a bit higher later at night...... again we did not take a land taxi back late at night. But we have found that EVERYTHING in Roatan is negotiable :D

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask but here goes. I have seen conflicting reports on taxi costs from Coxen Hole to i believe West End Beach? Some posts report that it is approx 25.00 per taxi and others that it is approx 25.00 per person.

Can anyone shed light on this? If its 25.00per person i may as well do a ship tour.

Thanks!

The taxi prices are not regulated save for runs from the Airport which are one way($25). I believe the confusion comes when people who are on a land vacation talk about what they paid.. this is useless info for a cruise person.

I have heard prices very low in indeed for one way rides from Coxen Hole, these did not originate at the Cruise Dock.. people picked them up either by walking into town or by flagging one on the main road.

The best price I have seen for round trip from the cruise port to West Bay is $15 per person.

I do not believe it a good idea to take a one way Taxi to West Bay.. the thought of locating and haggling a second time for fare the driver KNOWS you have to have is a little frightening for me.

I often tell people if snorkeling is the goal then take the Tabyana option..one has not a worry in the world about who what or where and the east access reef snorkeling is steps from your lounger.

The taxi prices are not regulated save for runs from the Airport which are one way($25). I believe the confusion comes when people who are on a land vacation talk about what they paid.. this is useless info for a cruise person.

I have heard prices very low in indeed for one way rides from Coxen Hole, these did not originate at the Cruise Dock.. people picked them up either by walking into town or by flagging one on the main road.

The best price I have seen for round trip from the cruise port to West Bay is $15 per person.

I do not believe it a good idea to take a one way Taxi to West Bay.. the thought of locating and haggling a second time for fare the driver KNOWS you have to have is a little frightening for me.

I often tell people if snorkeling is the goal then take the Tabyana option..one has not a worry in the world about who what or where and the east access reef snorkeling is steps from your lounger.

Thank you for this response. I was tempted to go throughthe ship for this but its 69pp and doenst include but transport and a chair. 130 for a ride and 2 chairs seems like a lot to me. I have never taken a ships tour since it never seemed worth it to me. maybe this time will be different.

Thank you for this response. I was tempted to go throughthe ship for this but its 69pp and doenst include but transport and a chair. 130 for a ride and 2 chairs seems like a lot to me. I have never taken a ships tour since it never seemed worth it to me. maybe this time will be different.

Indeed, if you take an independent taxi... you still have to find and pay for a lounger and any other amenities you wish.

Another option is a day pass with one of the resort who provide transport, Bananarama and Foster's come to mind. Though, if snorkeling is the goal..one need walk down the beach a bit for easy access to the reef.

What we ended up doing on one of our day trips, was.. we asked a van tour if they had room to drop two off at West Bay and pick us up later in the day. The van driver was taking a group of 4 on some kind of tour which then would end up at West Bay. So they allowed us to join the group, dropping us off and then joining them again for the ride back to the ship. Cost us $35 for the two of us..round trip. Perfect and easy.

Another time we just cabbed it. Think it was around $40 round trip for both of us. DH worked that one out after walking away from a couple other drivers. What helped too, is we got off the ship a little later so the crowds were gone.

I do not believe it a good idea to take a one way Taxi to West Bay.. the thought of locating and haggling a second time for fare the driver KNOWS you have to have is a little frightening for me. I often tell people if snorkeling is the goal then take the Tabyana option..one has not a worry in the world about who what or where and the east access reef snorkeling is steps from your lounger.

Well, I totally disagree with almost all of the above.

First: Remember there are two cruise ports. Bear in mind that Mahogany Bay is a bit further from the west end than Coxen Hole so might be a bit more money.

Now, my first visit to Roatan was on a cruise - docked in Coxen Hole. We walked right out the gate (30 steps maybe from the gangplank) which is where all the taxis were since they can't get into the secure port area anyway and negotiated with a taxi. 3 of us paid $15.00 for pretty much the whole day for a taxi. We went to West End Village and West Bay Beach (Bananarama access) and back to the ship. Our driver waited for us in both locations and even suggested a restaurant in West End Village. It was easy, safe and cheap.

Now I have since visited Roatan twice. Both times for a week stay. If anything it has reinforced to me how easy it is to get around on Roatan and do it a lot cheaper than taking a ship tour. And providing more control over my day and my time. I do not think that information from people who have been on land vacations is useless to those on cruise stops.

The bottom line is taxi drivers will charge more (or whatever they think they can get away with) if you let them. Therefore the more information on how to avoid that - the better. So the key is to be informed and then negotiate.

First a taxi should NOT be per person for a ride from the port to West Bay. IF you are negotiating for a driver to stay with you for the day, then yes you can negotiate a total price or a per person price. Its up to you. But whatever you do - don't pay $25.00 per person for a taxi ride - that is just getting taken.

Last but not least, I do agree about a one way ride. If you do not want to negotiate with a taxi to stay with you (wherever you go) then at least make arrangements for that taxi to come back at a set time and pick you up. Negotiate a round trip price AND DO NOT PAY UNTIL YOU ARE BACK AT THE SHIP. This is not uncommon here and elsewhere in the Caribbean.

And a little side tip: If your driver is nice and service is satisfactory or above - tip him a little bit. I always pay the agreed price and then hand him a a couple of dollars or a 5 dollar bill and say THIS is for your pocket !

Well, I totally disagree with almost all of the above.

First: Remember there are two cruise ports. Bear in mind that Mahogany Bay is a bit further from the west end than Coxen Hole so might be a bit more money.

Now, my first visit to Roatan was on a cruise - docked in Coxen Hole. We walked right out the gate (30 steps maybe from the gangplank) which is where all the taxis were since they can't get into the secure port area anyway and negotiated with a taxi. 3 of us paid $15.00 for pretty much the whole day for a taxi. We went to West End Village and West Bay Beach (Bananarama access) and back to the ship. Our driver waited for us in both locations and even suggested a restaurant in West End Village. It was easy, safe and cheap.

Now I have since visited Roatan twice. Both times for a week stay. If anything it has reinforced to me how easy it is to get around on Roatan and do it a lot cheaper than taking a ship tour. And providing more control over my day and my time. I do not think that information from people who have been on land vacations is useless to those on cruise stops.

The bottom line is taxi drivers will charge more (or whatever they think they can get away with) if you let them. Therefore the more information on how to avoid that - the better. So the key is to be informed and then negotiate.

First a taxi should NOT be per person for a ride from the port to West Bay. IF you are negotiating for a driver to stay with you for the day, then yes you can negotiate a total price or a per person price. Its up to you. But whatever you do - don't pay $25.00 per person for a taxi ride - that is just getting taken.

Last but not least, I do agree about a one way ride. If you do not want to negotiate with a taxi to stay with you (wherever you go) then at least make arrangements for that taxi to come back at a set time and pick you up. Negotiate a round trip price AND DO NOT PAY UNTIL YOU ARE BACK AT THE SHIP. This is not uncommon here and elsewhere in the Caribbean.

And a little side tip: If your driver is nice and service is satisfactory or above - tip him a little bit. I always pay the agreed price and then hand him a a couple of dollars or a 5 dollar bill and say THIS is for your pocket !

Thank you for the response, I do feel a bit better now. We have been to almost all of the islands and have never had an issue just getting a taxi or what not but everything i read about this stop was making me doubt that plan.

I am really just looking for a ride. I dont need a tour of the island or to see monkey's even. Just a secure ride to and from teh beach so we can possibly snorkel, hell i dont even need a beach chair to be honest, i love the sand.

I am really just looking for a ride. I dont need a tour of the island or to see monkey's even. Just a secure ride to and from teh beach so we can possibly snorkel, hell i dont even need a beach chair to be honest, i love the sand.

It will be interesting to see what you choose and what the price you get is.

Like I said, I have never seen anyone at the cruise port in Coxen Hole do it for less than $15 per person round trip.

Ya might check in to the tour operators for their price for a ride to the beach..it would be far more secure than some flight by night guy willing to take you out there under the normal price.

By the by ~ If you have not seen any of the info in sand fleas..ya might check in that. I would not sit on the beach myself but they love me.

As many are posting on different threads, I can confirm that ALL of the resorts/bars on West Bay are now charging $10per person to get in. We were there last Thursday (Jan.10th) on a tour with Victor Bodden and our tour guide said the new rules went into effect on Jan.1st. We went to Bananarama and had to pay $10pp (kids 10 and under were free) and that price included a lounger. However, they were out of loungers so gave us a free drink instead. We walked down the beach toward the left (if you're facing the water) and asked other beachgoers if they were charged and everyone we spoke to said they had to pay a $10 fee.

As many are posting on different threads, I can confirm that ALL of the resorts/bars on West Bay are now charging $10per person to get in. We were there last Thursday (Jan.10th) on a tour with Victor Bodden and our tour guide said the new rules went into effect on Jan.1st. We went to Bananarama and had to pay $10pp (kids 10 and under were free) and that price included a lounger. However, they were out of loungers so gave us a free drink instead. We walked down the beach toward the left (if you're facing the water) and asked other beachgoers if they were charged and everyone we spoke to said they had to pay a $10 fee.

I do not understand... who did you pay the $10 fee to? If one is paying for amenities then sure you have to pay for them but of you only wish to walk past Bananarama to the beach, not get a lounger or a beverage.. who asks for the $10 bucks?

If one pays the Bananarama day trip fee which includes transport do they then need to pay another person a $10 beach fee?

Confused I am.

This will be an interesting thread to follow now. As there are some 'public' access points to the beach I'm not sure how 'they' can force you to pay.

It might well be the taxi drivers, tour operators and resorts have gone in cahoots in order to generate more money.

I don't plan on paying $10 and will be happy to sit on my towel (when not snorkelling or sitting at a bar drinking).

People who have cruised this year (2013) please provide up-dates.

All beaches in Roatan are public and FREE.

However, if you are on their property they can charge you if they like for whatever they like. The loungers have always had a charge. BUT........

This sounds completely insane to me. I cannot for the life of me figure how they are going to do this since there are many people there on land trips ( we just came back from our second land visit) and we went to Bananarama a couple of times (dinner, drinks one afternoon etc) How can they possibly charge someone $10 who wants to go and eat lunch or have some drinks ?

Perhaps they are trying to cut down on people using their bathrooms for free? :rolleyes:

Just cause the sand is free, doesn't mean access has to be. :0)

Indeed, it may just be Bananarama that is cracking down, I would not blame them.. or it could be anyone of a number of things.

The only thing I find consistent about the island is the inconsistency. :D

Perhaps it is only day tripper that need pay the $10, anyone on a land vacation is already paying with there accommodation.

It could be the fee is just lost in translation and it only ever was and is an amenities fee.

Just cause the sand is free, doesn't mean access has to be. :0)

Indeed, it may just be Bananarama that is cracking down, I would not blame them.. or it could be anyone of a number of things.

The only thing I find consistent about the island is the inconsistency. :D

Perhaps it is only day tripper that need pay the $10, anyone on a land vacation is already paying with there accommodation.

It could be the fee is just lost in translation and it only ever was and is an amenities fee.

You are totally right - but one need only use a free access. They are there. And once on the beach it is public. Now if someone wanders onto the property of say Bananarama then they could be charged some type of fee.

When staying at a resort you are given a wristband. Everyone knows them and recognizes them. When we took a water taxi back from West End and told the boat operator Infinity Bay, he said he knew from our wristband where to take us.

So perhaps this is really aimed at the cruisers. Seems many come and want to use the bathrooms and other amenities. We have found that if you buy lunch or drinks they wouldn't mind.... but I can see them thinking that this is a better way to increase income and/or control who uses what. I know they beach guards at Infinity Bay were quite vigilant. If people came onto the property and sat in the chairs at the Palapa bar and didn't order food, they were asked to leave. They also watched the loungers and no one used the pool that didn't belong.

I think too that you are right in that this is more an amenities fee and those who were at Tabyana are definitely paying those.

Archived