Are vaccinations needed for Asia

newparks

In March, I am doing the Asia Land/Cruise tour on the Diamond Princess. This trip visits China, Japan, Korea, Viet Nam and Thailand. One of my friiends has asked the question "do we need any extra vaccinations"

Has any one done this cruise and did you take any extra precautions??

I moved from the U.S. to China 2 years ago.

I received (as recommended by doctor): MMR, DPT, Typhoid Fever, Rabies, Hep A, Hep B, Japanese Encephalitis.

Take and use plenty of insect repellant. During an Asia cruise 2 years ago I got 3 mosquito bites on my ankle where I did not put repellent. One of those bites gave me Dengue Fever...worse 2 weeks of my life.

I moved from the U.S. to China 2 years ago.

I received (as recommended by doctor): MMR, DPT, Typhoid Fever, Rabies, Hep A, Hep B, Japanese Encephalitis.

There is a difference between what is recommended and what is required.

Check the CDC web site for its suggestions. Much depends on which parts of the countries will be visited. Often part of a country will have a problem while other parts will not.

Agree with the above, but we have been to all the countries you listed and No vaccinations were required. Some people do get the recommended ones, but we never have.

The only time a vac was required was Brazil, yellow fever. It is also required for the Africa cruises. But required vaccinations are rare...

Of course, always look at your Princess Personalizer way before you leave in case of any changes or updates.

Enjoy!

You are probably too late to get the Hep A & B as it's a series of three shots over a period of a couple of months.

The CDC recommends Hep A & B and typhoid. I would suggest a flu shot, pneumonia and tetanus, and make sure your childhood vaccinations are up-to-date.

When I went to China for three weeks several years ago, it was recommended to me to bring a broad-spectrum antibiotic and prescription pain. I now bring both on my travels. Last February, I was in the Galapagos when I fell and bruised my coccyx pretty badly. We flew to Santiago the next day which meant all-day travel and an overnight flight. The pain pills made it bearable.

Actually, you do have time to get Hep vaccines before you go if you want them. You need to get the first shot a month before you travel. Hep A is effective on the first shot, and the second (6 to 12 months later) is the booster. Hep B is a series of three.

Before going to China and Tibet this year, I got a flu shot, Tetanus booster, polio booster, and Hep A. The travel clinic also advised Hep B, Japanese encephalitis, and typhoid vaccines, but I thought my exposure would be minimal and didn't get those.

None are required, but for your own peace of mind, check with your doc or travel clinic, and decide for yourself based on your med history and potential exposure.

You are probably too late to get the Hep A & B as it's a series of three shots over a period of a couple of months.

The CDC recommends Hep A & B and typhoid. I would suggest a flu shot, pneumonia and tetanus, and make sure your childhood vaccinations are up-to-date.

When I went to China for three weeks several years ago, it was recommended to me to bring a broad-spectrum antibiotic and prescription pain. I now bring both on my travels. Last February, I was in the Galapagos when I fell and bruised my coccyx pretty badly. We flew to Santiago the next day which meant all-day travel and an overnight flight. The pain pills made it bearable.

Your suggestion for a broad spectrum antibiotic and prescription pain med are spot on....Hubby and I have done many three to four week cruises...most recently the same itinerary as OP. Good recommendation for a Tetanus Shot. Be aware that even after five or ten years from your last TS, the shot can leave your upper arm feeling like it has been punched by a prize fighter!:eek:

We did not get any special vaccinations and we checked carefully to make sure. While on our 8 day land tour, several in our group became ill. Later, on the Diamond, there was a big outbreak, of what I firmly believe was the flu, and it may have been the variety talked about in the news that is not covered by this year's flu formula. There was info in the Princess Patter for several days to call 911/infirmary if you had a fever and cough, along with info regarding a norovirus outbreak.

Add to your list of things to take...24 hour Sudafed (the name brand) as the generics do not work as well. This brand is kept in the pharmacy and you must sign for it...do not confuse it with what is out over the counter, though the packaging of other cold formulas look similar.

Archived