Free drink coupon could only be used ?

True, but it's their way of giving us something that they won't actually have to pay for since many people won't bother going to the MDR for breakfast or lunch.

It's also a way to try to crowd control the buffet lines by diverting at least some of that traffic to the MDR just so you can get your drink.

Its in your cabin before you embark. Wasn't too much of a pain to stop by the MDR before 1:30 and pick-up a free drink. They have bar staff on hand to serve everyone.

If you just want the drink at lunch they will show you where to go (usually an adjoining bar) which will take it.

Agree... and have posted my oponion on all the other threads about it.

I think that they silly free drink now offered for past guests should be redeemable anywhere on board, at anytime...and not restricted to the MDR during breakfast or lunch.

It is crazey to only be able to us it at breakfist or lunch in MDR.

I agree. We tried to use ours in MDR at lunch the last day. We couldn't even get a glass of water refilled let alone get them to bring a drink. Tried to use at a nearby bar and were told we would have to go back to the MDR and just tell the people doing the seating that we wanted drinks to go- um that wasn't happening! I would rather just not have the benefit offered rather than have to jump through hoops to use it.

At my last visit to my local watering hole they presented a coupon for a free drink with the final bill. Now its a 2for1 free coupon and can only be used at lunch Monday thru Friday. I was all over that bar tender for giving me something free that I would have to go out of my way to use. The horror of it....and my tongue has been planted firmly in cheek.

Okay. Here's a question (or two) about that "free drink" coupon. Do you have to eat lunch in the MDR to redeem it? Couldn't you, if you wanted to, eat lunch elsewhere on the ship, then stop by the MDR to redeem the coupon, get your drink, then go do whatever you want and take the drink with you? Or does the Maitre' D bolt the dining room doors shut and force you to drink your beverage in the MDR?

Okay. Here's a question (or two) about that "free drink" coupon. Do you have to eat lunch in the MDR to redeem it? Couldn't you, if you wanted to, eat lunch elsewhere on the ship, then stop by the MDR to redeem the coupon, get your drink, then go do whatever you want and take the drink with you? Or does the Maitre' D bolt the dining room doors shut and force you to drink your beverage in the MDR?

Good luck with that- literally that last time we had lunch in the MDR we could not even get a glass of water. We absolutely could not get anyone to honor the drink coupon. Sarcasm is great all until you're on the other end of the crappy behavior or policy. For everyone making fun of the OP, have you actually tried to just swing by the MDR to get the drink- have you even been the recipient of the free drink coupon?

Good luck with that- literally that last time we had lunch in the MDR we could not even get a glass of water. We absolutely could not get anyone to honor the drink coupon. Sarcasm is great all until you're on the other end of the crappy behavior or policy. For everyone making fun of the OP, have you actually tried to just swing by the MDR to get the drink- have you even been the recipient of the free drink coupon?

Why isn't it OK to throw some sarcasm into a conversation that is about a FREE drink coupon. (Which I have had and have used). I even carried it around for a few days until the opportunity arose where I could redeem it.

I just can't imagine that not being able to use it where someone usually decides to "get a drink" would be such an issue. It appears that Carnival wants to get people to use the MDR for breakfast and lunch and to take some of the load off of the buffet. And so a nice incentive to get people to check it out is to offer a redemption of the FREE coupon. The concept seems pretty clear. And if you don't want to go to the MDR then the purpose of the FREE coupon becomes mute. And if someone sails a second time with Carnival just to participate in the FREE coupon and then doesn't get to use it...well that seems a stretch to plan a cruise around a silly FREE drink.

I use a walker and left my coupon in the basket. As I left I showed it to the staff and explained the situation. He directed me to the piano bar (next to MDR). I ordered a Virgin piña colada and went to trivia. No problem.

Agree... and have posted my oponion on all the other threads about it.

I think that they silly free drink now offered for past guests should be redeemable anywhere on board, at anytime...and not restricted to the MDR during breakfast or lunch.

This...along with the pp that suggests that the reason for the restrictions is to limit the amount of coupons that are actually redeemed. Seriously, which "beard" thought this was a good idea?

On the Triumph in October, a temporary bar was set up just outside the MDR entrance. I was able to get my mimosa (delicious!) and take it in withe me to breakfast. It would have been just as easy to get it and turn around and go to the Lido deck buffet. I thought this was a great way to streamline the process, and there was virtually no wait.

Archived