Red Wine

jebhoward3

What does everyone think about Cunard's red wines? Single bottles? Packages? This will be our first time on a Cunard ship and we are trying to decide what is the best way to go. Their prices seem higher than the HAL's packages that we are used to. What is their corkage fee if we bring some from home or purchase in ports? If you enjoy wine with dinner how do you usually do it?

Thanks for the information,

Joyce

What does everyone think about Cunard's red wines? Single bottles? Packages? This will be our first time on a Cunard ship and we are trying to decide what is the best way to go. Their prices seem higher than the HAL's packages that we are used to. What is their corkage fee if we bring some from home or purchase in ports? If you enjoy wine with dinner how do you usually do it?

Joyce

Can I take a bottle of wine or champagne on board to drink in a restaurant?

All bottles of wine or champagne brought on board by passengers for consumption in any of the ship's restaurants, bars or lounges, are subject to a corkage fee.

Guests are advised that they are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions. Larger amounts of wine will need to be approved by the Corporate Beverage Department prior to the voyage.

Groups who want to supply their own wine for wine tasting seminars or for consumption in any of the restaurants, bars or lounges will be charged a corkage fee.

The Group Department must obtain approval from the Corporate Beverage Department prior to the voyage.

The corkage fee is $20.00 per bottle and will be charged to your on-board account. (Cost subject to change).

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/drink_cost will open a Cunard page with all links to drinks Cunard have changed their house wine to Italian, seems to be going down well so i believe

Joyce

Hi jebhoward. Yes, I think Cunard's wine prices are a bit higher than HAL's, but IMHO Cunard's wine is better and more varied. I like to try different types of wine on board, so I usually order by the glass. When I find one I really like, I order a bottle. We take a corkswrew and couple of bottles from home to enjoy in our cabin. Bon voyage, S.

We have previously purchased a bottle of wine in the restaurant, drunk half with dinner and they have put it aside for us to finish the next night - handy to know if you don't feel the need to quaff an entire bottle in one evening.

Generally, when dining on board Cunard, BYO is not a favoured option....

I think it depends on your price point. If you generally like a bottle of wine priced at $20 in your wine shop you may be able to get a better bottle of wine onboard for (a bit) less- $35 or so plus service charge. If you consider it nice to drink very nice wine (say a 2003 Pauillac) while you're onboard you can save by carrying on and paying corkage.

Simple example: A bottle of Veuve Clicquot is about $45 on the street and $70-80 onboard. Even if have it in the dining room and pay corkage you save $10 or $20 by carrying it on.

Archived