Why has Guadeloupe been 'dropped' ?

Tizzy

As of today things seem to have changed again for A306A 14th March 21 nights. Now according to my Cruise Personaliser we are visiting Dominica on 19th March, not going to Guadeloupe at all and visiting St. Kitts on 23rd March. No trips bookable at St. Kitts yet! I assume they will transfer the trips booked for Dominica on 23rd March to 19th March. What's next I wonder!

:)

I am due to travel on the Azura A305N in 21st February, and we have booked excursion on Guadelope and have not had anything on our tickets to say that this is not going ahead, we got our e-tickets and have just checked them, and still nothing on there, so not sure what we will be offered when we get nearer the time or on the ship.

We have had previous cruises (other cruise liners) cancel that destination and go to Antigua in the past 3 years, but had heard that this was due to poor feedback of the island itself and having nothing to offer tourists, think it was one supermarket when it stated it was a shopping centre, ! so we dont really mind but as some of you have said that if you have been to Antigua you really would like a different destination for a change and to see other islands in the caribbean, so we shall see what we get, I will let you know if I get any further information from P&O.

x

Hi,

We are on the azura cruise on 28th feb and we are also going to Dominica on 5th march (believe will be second to last stop for the people travelling on 21st).

Cruise personaliser allows you to book tours and we have done so...not sure what happens if it changes again tho! Am currently watching death in paradise and would much rather be going to Guadeloupe!

Louise

I am due to travel on the Azura A305N in 21st February, and we have booked excursion on Guadelope and have not had anything on our tickets to say that this is not going ahead, we got our e-tickets and have just checked them, and still nothing on there, so not sure what we will be offered when we get nearer the time or on the ship.

We have had previous cruises (other cruise liners) cancel that destination and go to Antigua in the past 3 years, but had heard that this was due to poor feedback of the island itself and having nothing to offer tourists, think it was one supermarket when it stated it was a shopping centre, ! so we dont really mind but as some of you have said that if you have been to Antigua you really would like a different destination for a change and to see other islands in the caribbean, so we shall see what we get, I will let you know if I get any further information from P&O.

x

Does your Cruise Personaliser still show Guadelope as a port of call ?

Martyn

We had a trip booked for Guadelope on the 19th of march but today recived a email saying that it had been cancelled and the money would be transfered back into my bank account . But still nothing on the email or anything from P&O telling us that we will not be calling at this port !

You only get notification direct from P&O if you booked your cruise with them. Our agent sent me a letter this week telling me of the changes in the itinerary. It's the agent through whom you booked the cruise that should inform you of changes.

P&O told me that the excursions for St. Kitts for those who are going there, will be available to book next Monday.

I've just returned from Azura. The Captain is Commodore Steve Burgoine and when asked directly by a passenger why Guadeloupe had been dropped he stated that it was because there was no way he was prepared to navigate the Azura into that port. I presume that is why P&O said it was for "navigational reasons". I'm not familiar with Guadeloupe, but assume the size of the Azura makes it difficult for some reason.

I am so glad we finally found out why Guadeloupe was dropped.

Antigua is not our favourite port either.

We chose the cruise because we thought we had a new Port to explore.

We particularly like Bonaire and that doesn't feature on many cruises either ?

I think you'll find Bonaire is mostly on the itinerary of smaller ships. On our first cruise on Fred Olsen's Braemar we stopped at Bonaire - on the morning of our Silver Wedding Anniversary - it was magic!

I'm quite happy with St. Kitts instead of Guadeloupe although I agree it would have been good to have gone to a new port - but if the Commodore says it's not safe to try to go in to the port I believe him. Maybe the organisers onshore in Southampton didn't consult the Captains before they included Guadeloupe. Who knows!

I have had no communication from P & O as to why Guadeloupe was cancelled and only found out ten days before sailing from this web site. When on board Azura I asked one of the senior officers what was the real reason. The explanation I was given was that, when the itinerary was set up last year the local authorities in Guadeloupe agreed to dredge the channel into the harbour, however when P & O staff went out in December it assess the situation the work had still not been carried out. Therefore there was no alternative but to cancel and book another port. This is fully understandable especially considering the problems a few years ago with Ventura and Caterlina Island. It is just a pity that P & O Customer Relations cannot be straight forward and honest with their passengers. It would have at least stopped the stupid rumours that were going around the ship such as "Its to do with the French and Mali" and " The port fees have been increased due to the success of the Death in Paradise tv programme"

Archived