I finally tried the Canaletto

Pettifogger

5. I had never previously had tiramisu so good it made me wish I hadn't eaten all of my osso buco.

We eat in Canaletto at least once each cruise including as recently as last month on Amsterdam. Never saw osso buco on the menu.

When on the Noordam in the fall of 2011 we went to Canaletto x 2 - no extra charge, just make reservations. It was in a section of the Lido, decorated like an Italian bistro, great selection of food. Now that we see it is an extra charge, and not nearly the menu that it was then, I think we will not try it on the Zaandam next month. I heard they don't have any Chianti available, either.

Actually I didn't say that I didn't like the new menu - Never eaten in Canaletto - I was quoting someone else.

My question was re the Canaletto wine. Can you buy it in other venues i.e. MDR, bars?

Ellen

What is Canaletto wine?

We ordered a bottle of wine we drink in MDR or in Pinnacle or wherever on the ship. They had no problem getting us a bottle of one of our favorites.

I don't know what a Canaletto wine is.

We tried the Canaletto on our November NA cruise and were disappointed. The wait staff was energetic and entertaining, the antipasto was good. The pasta was overcooked and pasty. The limoncello was actually nasty, just a rubbery jello stuff with a very bitter liquid on or in it. Yuck! All four in our group agreed we would not go there again. We were given a dinner in Canaletto as a perk on turn-around day during our B2B Collectors cruise. The restaurant was almost empty during the time we were there.

[WOW... Great factors... We do not like the NEW Canaletto menu, but love Canaletto overall... And we love the Canaletto branded wine!

Have read several comments about the Canaletto wine on the boards. Can you purchase it at other restaurants or the bars?

Im sure if you asked nicely they would bring it for you. It was $22 per bottle and great variety. They do not have Chianti which I think is very weird at an Italian eatery.

We ate at Canaletto twice on the Noordam over Christmas.

I found it really cheesy that a specialty up-charge restaurant had spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna, but no steak or anything even slightly different. quote]

That was the old menu, I thought all of the ships were serving the new one? I miss Lasagna and Penne Ala Vodka the most... :(

We ate at Canaletto twice on the Noordam over Christmas.

I found it really cheesy that a specialty up-charge restaurant had spaghetti and meatballs and lasagna, but no steak or anything even slightly different. quote]

That was the old menu, I thought all of the ships were serving the new one? I miss Lasagna and Penne Ala Vodka the most... :(

I guess not! The menu was the same as previously posted in the thread, with a just a couple of additions and exclusions. Spaghetti and meatballs is about the cheapest/highest markup dish a restaurant can offer, so I was having one of those "you've GOT to be kidding me" moments. The Lido pasta bar at lunch had more imagination, quite frankly. The Pinnacle Grill @ an extra $25, Le Cirque @ $49 extra, & the Master Chef's Dinner and Dinner with the Chef @ $89 extra are all worth the upcharge to me, but 10 bucks for spaghetti and meatballs??? That's just goin' a bit too far!

What's on the "new" menu? The poster mentioned she had osso buco which I never experienced in Canaletto.

I hvae to say I'm not a fan of comments like this. It's sorta obvious isn't it? I don't think most people bark out orders, do they?

You took my response out of context.

Canaletto wine is sold in Canaletto. If you were somewhere else, that did not sell it, and it was not on the wine list, I would think a little extra niceness would assist you in getting what you were looking for. I am sure its easy in the MDR or PG etc. But may be possibly harder for the cocktail server or bartender in another location...

This by no means meant that i think people "bark orders" and so far in my experience I have never seen it.

I have however seen people told "No", or we do not have that here, etc etc.. How about a little extra effort so the O.P. does not get told "No"? That was the intent of the response.

Canaletto wine is sold in Canaletto. If you were somewhere else, that did not sell it, and it was not on the wine list, I would think a little extra niceness would assist you in getting what you were looking for. I am sure its easy in the MDR or PG etc. But may be possibly harder for the cocktail server or bartender in another location...

This by no means meant that i think people "bark orders" and so far in my experience I have never seen it.

I have however seen people told "No", or we do not have that here, etc etc.. How about a little extra effort so the O.P. does not get told "No"? That was the intent of the response.

Given how so much varies from ship to ship, one ship may allow purchase of wines on the Caneletto wine list outside of the Caneletto, while other ships may not. So "extra niceness" (not sure what "extra niceness" is to be honest) may have ZERO influence on the outcome of the request. I'd feel bad if someone thought their request for one of the Caneletto wines (outside Caneletto) was denied because they were not nice enough in their request when the denial was based on a particular ship's policy.

We had dinner in Canaletto the last night of our Eurodam cruise in 2011 and, while the food was good and the service excellent, I didn't think it was anything to write home about. The menu was uninspired and, frankly, boring. Now that they charge a cover, I hope the selections are better. Here is a link to a menu:

http://cruiseradio.net/holland-americas-canaletto-menu/

I just see people use this a lot on CC. It makes me feel like I'm 5 years old when I read it and mommy is telling me to be nice. That's more what I'm talking about. Some people are just cranky period but I think in most cases people try to be nice.

I just see people use this a lot on CC. It makes me feel like I'm 5 years old when I read it and mommy is telling me to be nice. That's more what I'm talking about. Some people are just cranky period but I think in most cases people try to be nice.

I do not think you will find any one other post of me using it, or furthermore using it in that manner. It was worded that way because the Canaletto wine, is Canaletto wine. Hope you understand my meaning.

Given how so much varies from ship to ship, one ship may allow purchase of wines on the Caneletto wine list outside of the Caneletto, while other ships may not. So "extra niceness" (not sure what "extra niceness" is to be honest) may have ZERO influence on the outcome of the request. I'd feel bad if someone thought their request for one of the Caneletto wines (outside Caneletto) was denied because they were not nice enough in their request when the denial was based on a particular ship's policy.

You did get my meaning though, it does not hurt to be "extra nice" when asking something such as this favor what I would consider to be out of the ordinary.

I am not sure if any of the ships have this policy, with HAL things usually depend on who and how you ask.

How would I ask any differently?

Standard: I would like a bottle of Canaletto wine please (insert type here)...

Extra Nice: Excuse me, I realize what I may be about to ask may be somewhat out of the ordinary, but I was wondering of you could assist me in buying a bottle of Canaletto wine? I know that this is not Canaletto, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

For me, when asking for something out of the ordinary,that may be considered a favor, this is how I ask. YMMV.

* Its prob very easy to get in MDR and PG etc. I assume bars and lounges would be a tad harder.

Do they still bring around a large platter with various salamis, cheeses, olives & Marinated peppers & eggplant that you choose your own antipasti from? No other appetizers? And, I don't see any calamari or parmesan eggplant on the menu, can't remember what else was on the menu when we ate there, but this one seems totally different.

You did get my meaning though, it does not hurt to be "extra nice" when asking something such as this favor what I would consider to be out of the ordinary.

I am not sure if any of the ships have this policy, with HAL things usually depend on who and how you ask.

How would I ask any differently?

Standard: I would like a bottle of Canaletto wine please (insert type here)...

Extra Nice: Excuse me, I realize what I may be about to ask may be somewhat out of the ordinary, but I was wondering of you could assist me in buying a bottle of Canaletto wine? I know that this is not Canaletto, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

For me, when asking for something out of the ordinary,that may be considered a favor, this is how I ask. YMMV.

* Its prob very easy to get in MDR and PG etc. I assume bars and lounges would be a tad harder.

I don't think you are going to win this one, Surfergirle; not that I disagree with you, I just don't think you're going to win.

I do not think you will find any one other post of me using it, or furthermore using it in that manner. It was worded that way because the Canaletto wine, is Canaletto wine. Hope you understand my meaning.

No, I'm not saying that you use it a lot. I just don't care for it. I deal with problems that our clients are having with our joint venture billings for 80% of my job. Whether someone is nice or "extra" nice they get their problem dealt with. As a matter of fact if they are "extra" nice it just seems phony to me and it puts me off. YMMV.

Archived