Cave tubing - slow walker

cggurl

I would really appreciate any input that others that have been on a cave tubing excursion can give me. I'm a slow walker due to fused ankles and a bit unsteady. I've contacted three of the most popular operators and all said it should be ok. I was told about a mile walk through path and crossing moving water with a rope to hang on to. I'll have a sturdy 16 year old to help me with steps. I just don't want to get 1/2 way and realize its too challenging. I really want to do this because it just looks like so much fun!

They will walk as slow as you need them to (at least the company that we went with did, which is .bz). We had an older couple in our group (in their 70's would be my guess) and one had a knee replacement...they went as slow as they needed and also carry the tubes if needed. We had a 3 year old with us and her little legs could only go so fast. I wouldn't worry too much. They get "slower" walking people every day. :)

Also remember (at least our tour), they stopped a lot along the way to show you things, let you taste things, hold things, and explain things about their place. So there are a lot of resting stops. :D

Here's my review from our day if you are interested in reading it. It will give you a better understanding of how the tour goes.

There are tons of pictures at a link at the bottom of the review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...6&postcount=44

I thought this was a great not-to-be-missed experience. If you can walk a mile (even slowly) you can do this trip. We rented water shoes for $3. I wish I had brought tennis shoes. The pathway to the river is all stone, and my feet hurt! If you have any balance issues, I highly recommend you bring gym shoes that you won't mind getting wet. We used cavetubing.bz, and they were wonderful.

We just did it on Christmas Day with VIV Tours...can't say enough good things about them, and we did not carry tubes like others did. We did it with 21 people in my husbands family, ranging from 4 to 73..and the walk was just fine. My FIL is 73 with one new knee and Parkinson's, and my MIL has 2 new knees and has issues and they made it just fine and had a great time. We were all spread out on the path and the guides were very patient and nice. I was very worried about 2 of the youngest ones, but they did great as well.

Great!!!! Thanks for all of your input and actually I feel quite reassured that I'll be able to make it. Of course I'm going to use sneakers rather than water shoes now from this advice. We made our reservation with .bz although the top three all sound competitive.

Great!!!! Thanks for all of your input and actually I feel quite reassured that I'll be able to make it. Of course I'm going to use sneakers rather than water shoes now from this advice. We made our reservation with .bz although the top three all sound competitive.

May I suggest that if you are concerned about being "too slow" you could start working on your endurance by walking over local hilly terrain now. If you think you need a collapsible walking stick to assist, ask your cave-tubing vendor, but I don't think it would be an issue. Also, a better choice than "sneakers" woud be a pair of cross country style treaded sandels that look like hiking shoes/running shoes but are open across the top. They'll have better ankle support and traction than most gym style sneakers. Teva and Salomon and Merril make these. Sneakers will get wet and stay wet and sloshy long after you emerge out of the water.

Thanks! Great ideas. We don't have hills in south Louisiana (lol!!). I have been doing a little walking on uneven terrain and the gym a couple times a week. I stopped using a cane in August after a year and a half and would rather not be bothered. I'll ponder on that though. The sneakers I planned on using are Merrill, really lightweight and mesh. I used to be a new balance woman but those are much sturdier for the weight and they dry out quick.

Thanks! Great ideas. We don't have hills in south Louisiana (lol!!). I have been doing a little walking on uneven terrain and the gym a couple times a week. I stopped using a cane in August after a year and a half and would rather not be bothered. I'll ponder on that though. The sneakers I planned on using are Merrill, really lightweight and mesh. I used to be a new balance woman but those are much sturdier for the weight and they dry out quick.

Wear the Merrills. Nice choice. And skip your cane, but do look into the collapsible walking/hiking stick they sell in major sporting goods stores like Dicks or Academy and camping/hiking stores like REI. These are light weight but sturdy and can collapse into a rather short piece of equipment making it easier to pack in a standard suitcase and with the grip strap easier to carry while on the tube. This is an ensurance/safety item. If you don't think you'll need it, then don't buy it.

I believe you can do it, just tell your guide as soon as you arrive that you cannot walk quickly. My 22 year old daughter has a small disability in one leg and she did not enjoy the walk as much as the rest of us, but she would never ask for assistance (she refused to let the guide carry her tube, so he carried those of 4 others) and she wore terrible shoes. There are also frequent stops to educate about the rain forest.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm definitely going unless it's cancelled due to weather. I'm glad your daughter was able to go along and sure once she landed in the tube it was exciting and much more relaxing.

Archived