Make your own Rum Punch Onboard NCL

Here is a simple recipe I use to make delicious rum punch onboard ship. It is modified from Bobby Flay's "Original" Recipe for what you may have on hand for juices:

Cruising Rum Punch Recipe:

1 part Orange Juice

1 part "Other" Juice

1 part Rum

1/3 part Water with Cherry-Lime Crystal Light (to taste or premixed)

Dash of Nutmeg (Optional)

I stumbled upon this drink when I accidentally (honestly it was accidental) brought a small bottle of cruzan vanilla rum onboard from St. Thomas and mixed it with juice and some crystal light cherry lime. I don't remember exactly how I mixed it so I experimented with different juices and Bobby Flay's recipe at home to come up with a close match. I prefer Tortuga Vanilla Rum which makes any mixed drink fantastic, but you can pre-order white and/or light rum from the bon voyage department.

There are two options for measuring the mixers/alcohol -

Pre-mark a sports bottle at home (12oz. line for juice, 6 oz. line for alcohol, and 2 oz. line for Cherry Lime Water)

Use the "parts" with any glass available

Remember to buy Crystal Light Cherry-Lime at the grocery store or walmart (their off brand is good) and bring with you onboard. This is the beauty of this drink, being able to carry a small compact mixer which adds the delicious sour edge. An alternative flavor would be tropical punch (ask for a lime wedge at any bar to add a little sour). If you like the Caribbean versions add the dash of nutmeg.

To save money get the free juice in the morning. I always use a large sports bottle to get the juice. You can measure it to the pre-marked juice line, or simply fill the whole sports bottle and use any glass to measure out into another glass/sports bottle to mix your drink - your choice. I mix two juices together - orange and whatever else is available like pineapple, grapefruit, guava, cranberry,etc. The only juice that doesn't seem to work is Apple or Grape.

If you know you are going to use Orange and Lemonade I would modify the recipe to this:

Rum Punch Recipe with Lemonade:

1 1/2 part Orange Juice

1/2 part Lemonade

1 part Rum

1/3 part Water with Cherry or Cherry-Lime Crystal Light (to taste or premixed)

Dash of Nutmeg (Optional)

Of course you can make the drink stronger to your own taste. Also I prefer white or light rum but if you want to use spiced rum (which works better if you only have Crystal Light tropical punch) try this:

Spiced Rum Punch Recipe:

1 part Orange Juice

1 part "Other" Juice

1/3 part Spiced Rum

2/3 part White Rum

1/3 part Water with Tropical Punch Crystal Light (to taste or premixed)

If you want to make this at home or use the bat set-up to get grenadine and lime juice on the ship you can of course use Bobby Flay's original recipe:

Spiced Rum Punch Recipe:

1/2 part Lime Juice (1 cup lime juice)

1 part Grenadine (2 cups grenadine)

1 part Orange Juice (2 cups orange juice)

1 part Pineapple Juice (2 cups pineapple juice)

1 part White Rum (2 cups white rum)

1/2 part Light Rum (1 cup light rum)

Pinch of Nutmeg (Optional)

However you make this come back and tell me your experiences, and ENJOY!! :D

L.A.S.T.

Grab a chair, popcorn and your fav. "juice", cuz here come the morality police. Spewing the immortality of disobeying 11th commandment of cruising. Blah, Blah, Blah. Here come the Flamers..... stand clear!!.

By the way LAST, some great recipes there. Will definitely be trying those out on our next cruise, hmmm maybe before to !!! ;).

cheers...the Ump...:D

Grab a chair, popcorn and your fav. "juice", cuz here come the morality police. Spewing the immortality of disobeying 11th commandment of cruising. Blah, Blah, Blah. Here come the Flamers..... stand clear!!.

By the way LAST, some great recipes there. Will definitely be trying those out on our next cruise, hmmm maybe before to !!! ;).

Who would have an issue with "Pre-ordering rum" from the Bon-voyage department and making your own cocktails on board? You really have no faith in your fellow ccer's do you?:D

Who would have an issue with "Pre-ordering rum" from the Bon-voyage department and making your own cocktails on board? You really have no faith in your fellow ccer's do you?:D

I was wondering about that too. As far as accidentally bringing in the alcohol I put all my shopping bags into the scanner and it was in a separate bag by itself. I totally forgot about it when I grabbed the bags to come back to my room and security missed it as well. I still didn't drink it until the last sea day of the trip, which is when they give you back your alcohol anyways.

NCL is totally fine with people pre-ordering alcohol and they make a good buck off of this too, especially with the bar set-up.

Anyways, bottoms up! :p

Seems to me you are the one that's making the flaming post here.

Just sayin'

I have never been lucky enough to get anything by any screener - be it airline or cruiseline, and yes, most of them were accidental:p - however.... Sailing out of Barcelona you go through screening BEFORE you go through the liquor and wine stores. So, I will definitely keep these recipes in mind for our Med cruise in Sept.:)

My favorite rum punch: 1-2-3-4!

1 part fresh lime juice (can use concentrate if you have to)

2 parts simple syrup

3 parts rum (Meyers dark is my favorite)

4 parts water

Thanks to Nicole's cooking class in Antigua for making me realize the simplist punch was my favorite!

Yup! I'm think you're the one stirring the pot! :eek:

What's to say that I'm not in the Owners Suite with 3 bottles of rum that comes with it OR I'm purchasing the Rum onboard legally from the bar?!

Thanks for the recipes Lady Anna & Sir Troy! I know I'll be putting them to good use....without someone insinuating that I'll be smuggling alcohol onto the ship!

Not a problem !! If you use smuggled rum, your punch drink will explode like a dye pack in bank robberies and you can't wash off the dye. You will be marked for life as a smuggler !! LOL

Thanks! That was a much needed laugh!:D

Here is a simple recipe I use to make delicious rum punch onboard ship. It is modified from Bobby Flay's "Original" Recipe for what you may have on hand for juices:

Sincere Thank You for posting an additional beverage 'recipe' I can add to my files.

I actually plan to give it a try. :)

But I'm going to make it prior to my cruise.

Oh, and I'm going to consume it prior to my cruise.

No stones can be thrown my way for darn sure. :D . :D

I posted it after mixing a small rum punch with orange juice,cranberry/pomegranate juice, lime juice, water, crystal light tropical punch, and tortuga spiced and vanilla rum. It was delicious. So far with the exceptions of grape, kiwi, and apple juice almost any juice with orange and crystal light cherry lime or tropical punch packet works.

I can't drink too much so I was hoping someone would experiment and tell me the best variant on this mix, but maybe they're all good. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely going to try the chilled soups. I'm thinking cherry bing or pineapple...

L.A.S.T.

My favorite drink on a cruise is something I named "Kickapoo Joy Juice" (anyone old enough to remember the Li'l Abner comic strip will understand). Mix Crystal Light tropical punch (made with water) with rum and about 2 ounces of OJ saved from breakfast. Quick, easy, and yummy!

My favorite drink on a cruise is something I named "Kickapoo Joy Juice" (anyone old enough to remember the Li'l Abner comic strip will understand). Mix Crystal Light tropical punch (made with water) with rum and about 2 ounces of OJ saved from breakfast. Quick, easy, and yummy!

Even easier! How much tropical punch, water, and rum do you use?

L.A.S.T.

• 1 month later...

P.S. For those who like something tangy...

tequila.JPG

Ben tried to find a cocktail he can easily mix in his cabin for cabin crawl, and finds he doesn't care for Cadillac Margaritas (2 oz Grand Marnier, 1.5 oz 100% Agave Tequila, 1.5 oz simple syrup, 2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice. He tried mixing a lazy margarita and the taste is surprising similar ... Equal parts frozen minute maid limeade concentrate, water, and tequila. Optionally add a little OJ from breakfast or orange liquor to taste.

Archived