How to get compensation for free cruise?

Gnac76

Hello,

My mom won a free 7 day cruise playing bingo on our last carnival cruise. Although we are thankful she won the cruise, her best friends son is getting married on a norwegian ship around the time she would have to have used her free cruise and to save money she would rather book for that cruise.

My main question is, is there any way to get compensated for the free cruise? I know the fine print says not redemable for cash and only someone with her name can redem the voucher but she would rather not go on that cruise.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe booking the cruise then after it is all paid for, changing the names of the people in the room? Just thinking here.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

She has to be in the room to get it for free. My DH won one at bingo as well. Be thankfull its free. Why should she get compensatied for it. It is not redemable for cash. She has a year to take it. All she has to do is pay port fees and taxes. It can not be given away and no name changes will be allowed. Why does she think Carnival will give her money back for something they are giving her for free. That is her comensation for winning Bingo is a free cruise not the value of a free cruise.

You answered your own question. You say the fine print says not redeemable for cash and only she can use it. I assume they give away a cruise hoping that once that person is on board they will spending money on shopping, gambling etc. Why would they give you cash to book with another line.

Hello,

My mom won a free 7 day cruise playing bingo on our last carnival cruise. Although we are thankful she won the cruise, her best friends son is getting married on a norwegian ship around the time she would have to have used her free cruise and to save money she would rather book for that cruise.

My main question is, is there any way to get compensated for the free cruise? I know the fine print says not redemable for cash and only someone with her name can redem the voucher but she would rather not go on that cruise.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe booking the cruise then after it is all paid for, changing the names of the people in the room? Just thinking here.

They are not going to give her any compensation and the booking name change thing won't work either....Is it unheard of for her to go on 2 cruises within the year?

The only thing I can suggest is that she tries to get Carnival to extend the deadline when the offer expires.

She has to be in the room to get it for free. My DH won one at bingo as well. Be thankfull its free. Why should she get compensatied for it. It is not redemable for cash. She has a year to take it. All she has to do is pay port fees and taxes. It can not be given away and no name changes will be allowed. Why does she think Carnival will give her money back for something they are giving her for free. That is her comensation for winning Bingo is a free cruise not the value of a free cruise.

Carnival isn't giving her that for free as you said, she paid to play bingo so NO it wasnt for free.;)

the fine print says not redemable for cash and only someone with her name can redem the voucher
Which part of the above do you not understand? :confused: :rolleyes:

Here's a thought.

Have her book the cruise for 3 people and then the 2 substitutes pay the difference needed and then she simply is a no show on sail date.

The 2 substitute passengers get a cheap cruise and she has used the credit.

Great Idea, thanks!

Here's a thought.

Have her book the cruise for 3 people and then the 2 substitutes pay the difference needed and then she simply is a no show on sail date.

The 2 substitute passengers get a cheap cruise and she has used the credit.

If she is a no show, she won't get any compensation. And since she doesn't pay anything, insurance won't cover it. Don't think this plan works.

Carnival isn't giving her that for free as you said, she paid to play bingo so NO it wasnt for free.;)

You can try to spin things anyway you would like, but I bet for that game/s of Bingo she didn't pay into the hundreds of dollars. Basically, she played a small amount, correct me if wrong, and won on a bingo play that one paying $20 or or so could have won.

Carnival shouldn't give her more time, and especially compensation. I would like to say a lot more, but ingrate strikes my mind first, but then again what do I know?

Perhaps she shouldn't have played in the first place, lol.

Hello,

Since they say not redeemable for cash why would you think they would pay her not to go? Best to go on another date.

If she is a no show, she won't get any compensation. And since she doesn't pay anything, insurance won't cover it. Don't think this plan works.

The point of my suggestion was a way around transferring it without her having to use it herself.

It had nothing to do with seeking compensation.

Hello,

Your suggestion might work for that. However, OP's original post was asking for ideas in order to get compensation.

True but she also mentioned booking and changing names afterwards which would not work because the winner would have to remain in the cabin.

That is where booking for 3 and winner is a no show comes in.

Hello,

How do you save money by booking another cruiseline when she already has a free one (other than taxes and fees)?

How do you save money by booking another cruiseline when she already has a free one (other than taxes and fees)?

If she follows bobs suggestion, she could let someone else in the cabin, her be a no show. Then have the others in the cabin pay her for the cruise, even at a reduced rate, she would then have some money from that cruise which would give her some "compensation" that she could use on the one she really wants to be on. Actually, I think it was a great suggestion.

Why not book two cruises?

Plan the Carnival cruise around the NCL cruise and have a nice B2B, the cost will be minimal for the Carnival portion and she is still only paying for one return trip to the port city.

If she follows bobs suggestion, she could let someone else in the cabin, her be a no show. Then have the others in the cabin pay her for the cruise, even at a reduced rate, she would then have some money from that cruise which would give her some "compensation" that she could use on the one she really wants to be on. Actually, I think it was a great suggestion.

Usually a free cruise is for 2, right? Why would the second person want to pay for his/her part of what was free?

Archived