Falklands tours

crush on cruises

The Falklands only have a very small population, around 3000 people. So when a cruise ship arrives with 2000 people on board they struggle to provide sufficient tours for all the visitors. Previous visitors have stated that you need to book well before you arrive to ensure you get on a tour. You will not find tours at the pier once you arrive but you could just walk around the town.

Michelle

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the tours. All of the Princess tours to visit Penguins have a warning for people with back and neck problems. Volunteer Point would be out but I believe that Bluff Cove and Sparrow Cove are much closer but they would still require at least 30 minutes each way in a 4WD vehicle.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the tours. All of the Princess tours to visit Penguins have a warning for people with back and neck problems. Volunteer Point would be out but I believe that Bluff Cove and Sparrow Cove are much closer but they would still require at least 30 minutes each way in a 4WD vehicle.

I appreciate your information. We'll see if we can get something to Bluff Cove. I hope its not too late.

I may have missed it, but when will you be in the Falklands? (and what ship?).

I was at the jetty yesterday and saw many disappointed people who hadn't booked trips. On busy days, there aren't enough spare drivers around. (This was Star Princess, 2,500).

However, you can always go to Gypsy Cove, about a 15-minute drive on OK roads, and then about a 30 minute walk along the coast to look at the penguins.

"on the Star Princess on Feb 2."

I thought it was here on the 4th, but the schedules have been a bit flexible this year. You can easily get to Gypsy Cove on the shuttle buses. I will be there with a bright yellow jacket on. Feel free to say "Hello" and ask questions about the penguins :-)

"on the Star Princess on Feb 2."

I thought it was here on the 4th, but the schedules have been a bit flexible this year. You can easily get to Gypsy Cove on the shuttle buses. I will be there with a bright yellow jacket on. Feel free to say "Hello" and ask questions about the penguins :-)

We'll stop in the Falklands on our Celebrity cruise. Are the shuttle buses run by locals? Where do we find them? Many thanks.

"Are the shuttle buses run by locals? Where do we find them? Many thanks."

The buses are run by people living on the Falkland Islands, if that's what you mean? You can probably book them on the ship, but they cost about $20 per person.

When you leave the jetty (arriving by tender), you will see the Tourist Office in front of you. All the tours go from the side of that building.

If you want to get your bearings and see how sunny it is here, go to the Cable & Wireless site and check out the Jetty Centre webcam -

http://www.cwfi.co.fk/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=94

(which is on top of the Tourist Office)

"Are the shuttle buses run by locals? Where do we find them? Many thanks."

The buses are run by people living on the Falkland Islands, if that's what you mean? You can probably book them on the ship, but they cost about $20 per person.

When you leave the jetty (arriving by tender), you will see the Tourist Office in front of you. All the tours go from the side of that building.

If you want to get your bearings and see how sunny it is here, go to the Cable & Wireless site and check out the Jetty Centre webcam -

(which is on top of the Tourist Office)

Hello Peterscot, We are scheduled to arrive at Falklands on the 19th of this month (Azamara Quest) and have heard because of all the rain the roads to Volunteer Point have been pretty nasty. Pictures on the webcam look like things might be drying out a bit. Think we'll make it?? We have really been looking forward to our visit.

Hi Ceba,

Windy and warm again today, so you should be OK, if no more heavy rain. December was bad. Groups went on Tuesday without problems.

You have to understand it is not a "road" as you would recognise. For half the trip, it is a rough track across peat bog moorland.

Hi Ceba,

Windy and warm again today, so you should be OK, if no more heavy rain. December was bad. Groups went on Tuesday without problems.

You have to understand it is not a "road" as you would recognise. For half the trip, it is a rough track across peat bog moorland.

Thanks so much!!! We are ready for the adventure!

• 2 weeks later...

Peterscot, you have given so many helpful answers on this thread!

Now of course I want more... ;)

What type of Penguins are at Gypsy Cove? Are they present in March? We are arriving Mar 2 on the Star Princess. Does the shuttle bus need to be pre-booked and if so, with whom? Is the walk OK for two reasonably stable (physically, no one talks about mentally :)) 60-ish year olds with walking shoes but not hiking boots?

Does the shuttle bus stay or can you catch a later bus? How frequent are busses?

Is that enough questions?:D

thanks! I am so grateful. Have tried booking a tour but there are long waitlists as due to family emergencies we are slow planning the trip details!

Judy

Hi, Ian and Joyce here (ScottyGuelph). Looked into the walk to Gypsy Cove and it appears to be a fairly easy one - about 6-7 km one way. There should still be a number of penguins about and it is quite interesting with derelict ships, views, etc. If you are interested, we could take the walk together and taxi or walk back. See you at the 'meet and greet'.

Hi, Ian and Joyce, that sounds like a lot of fun. Will look for you at the meet & greet. We are from Canada, Bruce and Judy, and just in case we don't connect on Feb 27 we are in C751. Last cruise I completely missed the M&G as went immediately into vacation mode. Not planning that this time but you never know.

If other posters have suggestions about the walk any additional info is gratefully received!

Judy

Hi, Ian and Joyce, that sounds like a lot of fun. Will look for you at the meet & greet. We are from Canada, Bruce and Judy, and just in case we don't connect on Feb 27 we are in C751. Last cruise I completely missed the M&G as went immediately into vacation mode. Not planning that this time but you never know.

If other posters have suggestions about the walk any additional info is gratefully received!

Judy

Hi, Bruce and Judy. We are from Guelph, Ontario. Our cabin no. is B239. We are also booked with GV tours in Puerto Montt so may see you there as well. We are going to do some local walks in Montevideo, Puerto Madryn and Punta Arenas as well as in Stanley.

Maybe we can hook up earlier on the cruise. Drop by if you get time for some good Argentine Malbec or Shiraz. I have a friend in Buenos Aires who has family running vineyards in Argentina! Ian and Joyce

peterscot, thanks so much for the info; hope your trip is fun and safe. I checked the webcam, it's great--will check it tomorrow to see the ship in port and I am sure lots more people around!

ScottyGuelph, thanks for the reply and we'll look forward to meeting you. Will watch for you at the M&G but my track record is poor at those things for finding people, as I am confused even when people have one name but a CC name and a real one are a stretch for me, particularly when I am in holiday mode. So will try to get in touch anyway. Wine is always nice!:)

We are in Palmero area of BA for 6 days pre-cruise (well. one day is in Iguazu) so should be able to find some good wine stores, too. We can compare notes or at least have a little tasting!

I don't recall your name on the roll call but you must be on there. It's a big group, seem to be lots of Canadians. I wondered if you were from Guelph ON but my DH said there is a Guelph in Scotland which was more likely. Hah! We are from Regina though I grew up on the west coast.

Only one month to boarding!

Judy

What type of Penguins are at Gypsy Cove? MAGELLANIC.

Are they present in March? SHOULD BE.

We are arriving Mar 2 on the Star Princess. Does the shuttle bus need to be pre-booked and if so, with whom? PENGUIN TRAVEL, AND FALKLAND ISLANDS TOURS AND TRAVEL BOTH OPERATE BUSES, PLUS SOME INDEPENDENTS. SHOLDN'T NEED TO BOOK.

Is the walk OK for two reasonably stable (physically, no one talks about mentally ) 60-ish year olds with walking shoes but not hiking boots? YES.

Does the shuttle bus stay or can you catch a later bus? How frequent are busses. YOU CATCH A LATER BUS. THEY RUN ABOUT TWICE AN HOUR, DEPENDING ON DEMAND.

Hope this helps.

Bruce/Judy, our CC name is ScottyGuelph and we are from Guelph, Ontario (although I was born in Scotland). We are in Palermo on Wed/Thurs before the cruise so maybe we could touch base there for a drink or meal. What hotel are you at? We are spending the weekend visiting friends outside the city.

Joyce and I lived in Argentina for 3+ years, much of it in Buenos Aires, so happy to pass on suggestions for places to eat or visit. See you soon. Ian and Joyce

What type of Penguins are at Gypsy Cove? MAGELLANIC.

Are they present in March? SHOULD BE.

We are arriving Mar 2 on the Star Princess. Does the shuttle bus need to be pre-booked and if so, with whom? PENGUIN TRAVEL, AND FALKLAND ISLANDS TOURS AND TRAVEL BOTH OPERATE BUSES, PLUS SOME INDEPENDENTS. SHOLDN'T NEED TO BOOK.

Is the walk OK for two reasonably stable (physically, no one talks about mentally ) 60-ish year olds with walking shoes but not hiking boots? YES.

Does the shuttle bus stay or can you catch a later bus? How frequent are busses. YOU CATCH A LATER BUS. THEY RUN ABOUT TWICE AN HOUR, DEPENDING ON DEMAND.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely, thanks a bunch!

Judy

Bruce/Judy, our CC name is ScottyGuelph and we are from Guelph, Ontario (although I was born in Scotland). We are in Palermo on Wed/Thurs before the cruise so maybe we could touch base there for a drink or meal. What hotel are you at? We are spending the weekend visiting friends outside the city.

Joyce and I lived in Argentina for 3+ years, much of it in Buenos Aires, so happy to pass on suggestions for places to eat or visit. See you soon. Ian and Joyce

Hi, Ian, we'd love to connect with you. We arrive Tues evening and are staying at an apartment rental at Cervino 3860 #2B in Palermo Chico. We go to Iguazu just for a day trip on Friday so will be exploring around BA on Wed and Thurs and could use your expertise for sure!

Maybe if you'd like to email me at family@mccuskee.com we can try to figure out a way to connect. I don't think we'll be using our Canadian cell phone there ($$$$) but the apartment does have a phone. Look forward to hearing from you! I think you are also going on the same Solo Expediciones boat trip to Magdalena Island with us, aren't you?

Judy (and Bruce)

Archived