Food Allergies?

bobndee

My wife has a food allergy to mushrooms. It's not life-threatening if she eats them, but she would be confined to the cabin for two days if it happens. And they are used in many dishes without being mentioned in the description.

What arrangements does Oceania make for people with food allergies?

Bob

Just contact the ship well in advance of your cruise to let them know of the situation. Then you can speak with the chef about any problems. I haven't needed to this myself but there have been numerous posts on this subject, you might do a search.

I believe that you will receive menus in advance and can discuss what is safe for your wife to eat and what is not.

(I think the recommended notice has been on the order of 60 days, but I would think that later notice wouldn't be a problem. If the kitchen can deal with gluten-free diets, I'm sure they can handle a no-mushroom diet.)

Mura

Also have your TA (if you used one) or contact Oceania & have a note put on your file

Be sure to follow up once onboard with the Maitre'd ... if at the buffet ask to speak to the Chef to see what dishes may have mushrooms ..some are not evident just by looking

They handle things like that very well (if they know)

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Once you (or your TA) have alerted Oceania to your wife's allergy in writing, and you have followed up with the Maitre'd on board, your wife's allergy notification will precede her to whichever dining venue (GDR or specialty restaurant) she attends each evening. This will likely be coordinated by the Head Waiter in Terraces (O's buffet restaurant).

Each evening, he will place in your mail box, the next evening's menu for whichever venue you & your wife will be dining in. She will have been asked beforehand to indicate on the menu provided, her choices for that evening. She will then return the menu to the Head Waiter in Terraces or to whomever is on duty in the GDR, by 10am the following morning.

As Lyn stated, extra caution should be taken in Terraces and Waves (poolside cafe). Your wife should indeed speak to the Chefs there to confirm which dishes might contain mushrooms. If need be, the Head Waiter can act as liaison. Room Service personnel will also have her allergy notification, but I would mention it when ordering anyway.

Oceania has handled my own complicated allergies flawlessly. In the GDR, as well as in each specialty restaurant, either the Maitre'd or our waiter has approached me & indicated that the Chef was aware of my dietary restrictions. I found that, based on my menu selections, certain dishes had been specially prepared for me ahead of time. It is so comforting to not have to question & double check every detail at every meal!

Happy cruising!:)

She will then return the menu to the Head Waiter in Terraces or to whomever is on duty in the GDR, by 10am the following morning.

...It is so comforting to not have to question & double check every detail at every meal!

Happy cruising!:)

So true on the feeling of comfort!

Sept 2012 on Riviera I was also able to return my 'homework' to the dining reservations desk on deck 5.

If you don't have a specialty restaurant reservation, you need not decide between GDR & Terraces until dinner - as long as your menu is filled out, your food can find you in either place (you may want to put a "we haven't decided on our venue quite yet" note on the menu)

Archived