Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

dmwnc1959

Movies Under the Stars (MUTS) -

'Movies Under the stars has become a signature feature on Princess Cruises, often copied but never equaled. On Royal Princess the Movies Under the Stars screen has taken LED technology and broadcast technology to the next level on a screen that's 30% larger than any of the other ships in the Princess Cruises fleet. This new wide-screen format is coupled with a high-tech audio/video system that will present first run movies, sporting events, and concerts specially selected for Princess Cruises passengers.' (Princess Cruises)

Sea View Bar and Movies Under the Stars

8067634474_81a457b990_z.jpg

(Princess Cruises)

Movies Under the Stars, Live Music stage, and Juliet Balcony

5527827796_b227506af1_z.jpg

(Princess Cruises)

'On select evenings the center island will be transformed into an outdoor dance floor playing host to our ultimate outdoor deck party. A DJ will be stationed two decks above the pool area on a Juliet-balcony just under the Movies Under the Stars screen, playing great dance music'.

'All of these top deck options exemplify what Princess Cruises is trying to create with Royal Princess, to give passengers a variety in their entertainment options during the day and into the evening.' (Princess Cruises)

8067633612_f7ce883b91_z.jpg

(Princess Cruises)

I wonder if the screen will be HD 1080p? I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that MUTS on the other ships looks terrible, putting SD (standard definition) 480p on such a large screen.

I wonder if the screen will be HD 1080p? I know I'm in the minority here, but I think that MUTS on the other ships looks terrible, putting SD (standard definition) 480p on such a large screen.

Can they do HD 1080p on a screen that big? The part that has me curious is when they say "Movies Under the Stars screen has taken LED technology and broadcast technology to the next level". I wonder what that means?

Can they do HD 1080p on a screen that big? The part that has me curious is when they say "Movies Under the Stars screen has taken LED technology and broadcast technology to the next level". I wonder what that means?

They sure can, but not sure if 1080, maybe 720? but obviously it is more expensive and even more so those screens have to be weather proof(think of all the screens in time square NY, they are really sharp). My guess is that they will do it, I can't imagine them going with a SD screen in such an incredible ship. LED should make that screen nice and bright, hopefully they will match it with a clear image.

They sure can, but not sure if 1080, maybe 720? but obviously it is more expensive and even more so those screens have to be weather proof(think of all the screens in time square NY, they are really sharp). My guess is that they will do it, I can't imagine them going with a SD screen in such an incredible ship. LED should make that screen nice and bright, hopefully they will match it with a clear image.

All of the LED screens that were installed at sports stadiums in the past few years were all 1080p and look fantastic. I didn't think they made LED screens that were only standard definition till I went on a Princess cruise. Where did they find the company that makes these terrible looking screens? You cannot even buy a TV that is SD - haven't for many years.

Hi Dave,

Great Stuff and many thanks. I am still wondering what obstructed means for our cabin on Deck 16 L106? Can you help?

From experience, we had L104 (oceanview obstructed) wasn't a balcony, but had a railing from the bridge deck in front of the window. When we went out to the bridge deck, we could not see into your balcony whatsoever. (so no worries about that).

We love that cabin, close to the pool and buffet, but far from the dining room. (I did not honor my rule to try and use the stairs either... LOL) In fact we've book L104 on the Crown for this July.

Pat

From experience, we had L104 (oceanview obstructed) wasn't a balcony, but had a railing from the bridge deck in front of the window. When we went out to the bridge deck, we could not see into your balcony whatsoever. (so no worries about that).

We love that cabin, close to the pool and buffet, but far from the dining room. (I did not honor my rule to try and use the stairs either... LOL) In fact we've book L104 on the Crown for this July.

Pat

Unfortunately, information about cabins on the Grand class ships does not necessarily apply to the Royal. L104 on the Crown is an Oceanview cabin (don't if it was one of those former balcony cabins converted to a deluxe Oceanview for various reasons). Princess is selling the very similarly located L106 on the Royal as an Obstructed Balcony. There is no deck above the Royal's bridge for viewing and the Lido deck balconies are two decks above the bridge. The obstruction will be a metal railing. Don't know how high that railing will be and if it will solve the wind problem when underway. That is a question that remains to be answered.

hi dmwnc1959

You need to make a list of info and photos you need, and will see what I can get for you when we do the pre maiden,

yours Shogun

I'll start the list. What do the forward balcony and minisuite cabin's layouts, balconies and obstructed views on Marina (M101 - M108) and Lido (L101 - L108) decks look like?

Which ship(s) did you have a rectangular table?

We have never had anything other than the oval table; but we have not been in a GS, or an OS.

Just curious,

Mike:)

I broke my posting Golden Rule and generalized without specific experience. There are rectangular tables in the Window Suites on the Golden. While on our B2B turnaround day I went up to the Sun deck and took photos of the Cat S2 and S5 suites on that deck. They also have rectangular tables. Perhaps Princess made the change when they started adding new suites during the 2008/2009 drydocks. I can't confirm, but the Caribbean and Grand window suites probably have the same type of tables. I wonder about the tables in the Ruby's suites as she was delivered in 2008?

The big Screens on Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure are pretty sharp. I am guessing that these will be of the same or better quality

The big Screens on Royal Caribbean Oasis and Allure are pretty sharp. I am guessing that these will be of the same or better quality

You know I did not think about that until you mentioned it, you're right they are pretty sharp. However I don't think they are 1080 or near that level, but I would be happy if they matched that level. Thanks for bringing that up :)

I have never been on a Princes cruise so I am not even sure how they compare...

I wonder about the tables in the Ruby's suites as she was delivered in 2008?

The OS suites on the Emerald, Ruby and Crown have a round dining table and an oval cocktail table. I'm very thankful for that since with tables with right angle corners I inevitably run into the corners and get big bruises:).

hi dmwnc1959

You need to make a list of info and photos you need, and will see what I can get for you when we do the pre maiden,

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun!

Oh, wow. THANK YOU for the offer, and that is quite a generous offer, but my list would unfortunately be HUGE and quite impossible for me to realistically ask of one person to try and achieve. It would read something like this:

I think if you go back to Post #1, and read through the entire thread again, and every time you seen where I posted a video still image, a real picture of that would be GREAT!

And after all the real pictures of the venues, the next thing I think that a lot of people would like to see are menus, lists, and/or prices of what is offered at places like (the expanded) Alfredo's, the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar, Vines, Celebrations, Gelatos, Princess Live! Cafe, and any other venue that is new or has an a la carte menu.

Also pictures of and from the large sun porches amidships off of Crooners/Facets and aft off of the Vista Lounge, and what the views look like from there in every direction, and from SeaWalk.

And I guess lastly would be all the exterior shots you can compile of Emerald Deck cabins and aft balconies, so that everyone booked in them could see just how their balcony is going to look.

See, told you it was huge! ;)

But in all honesty anything and everything you can provide will be mostly greatly appreciated! I think the most important thing though is for you to have an amazing time and enjoy yourself - eat, drink, and enjoy the shows - and in between take some pictures and notes, then let us know what you can from your time onboard her.

The rest of my 'list' is probably going to be progressive, and completed by you and many others that come after you. And I'm sure that those of us booked on her, or are looking at booking a cruise on her, won't tire of seeing tons of pictures and reading others reviews and experiences. It's going to be an exciting adventure for all of us as she enters service.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!!! :D

I just noticed that you posted a photo of the cabins in the front on lido deck. I am in L115 which is the third cabin from the front which has the last waist level bulkhead. That's exactly what I thought the height would be !

It's always fun to see where your cabin is going to be on a brand new ship that's still being built, especially a ship that none of us has ever actually been on yet.

Very exciting! :D

Now, for all of our Cruise Critic friends taking their kids along, this is especially for you!

8437727972_da3afddc0e_z.jpg -

'It's really important that passengers of all ages have a great time on Royal Princess, and with the enhanced and dedicated kids and teens centers, fun is being taken to a whole new level!' (Princess Cruises)

Princess Cruises has their Youth and Teen Programs divided into three different categories:

- Princess Pelicans (for ages 3-7)

- Shockwaves (for ages 8-12)

- Remix (for ages 13-17)

Deck plan and layout for Princess Pelicans, Shockwaves, and Remix

8437703434_dc5deb923c_c.jpg

Coming up next: Details on Princess Pelicans! Yea! :D

Now, for all of our Cruise Critic friends taking their kids along, this is especially for you!

8437727972_da3afddc0e_z.jpg -

'It's really important that passengers of all ages have a great time on Royal Princess, and with the enhanced and dedicated kids and teens centers, fun is being taken to a whole new level!' (Princess Cruises)

Princess Cruises has their Youth and Teen Programs divided into three different categories:

- Princess Pelicans (for ages 3-7)

- Shockwaves (for ages 8-12)

- Remix (for ages 13-17)

Deck plan and layout for Princess Pelicans, Shockwaves, and Remix

8437703434_dc5deb923c_c.jpg

Coming up next: Details on Princess Pelicans! Yea! :D

I was a little surprised to see a rendering of the new Remix recording studio on the Princess Flickr photo stream that had a sign which said "LMFAO Party Rock Anthem".

I was a little surprised to see a rendering of the new Remix recording studio on the Princess Flickr photo stream that had a sign which said "LMFAO Party Rock Anthem".

Unfortunatley, I did notice that. :( I have that screen shot included on the upcoming section on Remix. Maybe someone at Princess isn't quite up to date on the texting translations. Hopefully corporate will correct that error.

Hi dmwnc1959

Thanks very much for this thread. We managed to get on the pre maiden cruise on 14 June. We have been assigned. E403. So have been looking at your photos to see what our obstructed view will be. We think it will be a divet from the lifeboat forward of us. We seem to have a slanted balcony as well. Really looking forward to sering all the new areas on board. We are more than happy to share our photos with you.

Jackie.

8437728006_8f56724b00_z.jpg

'Princess Cruises offers great programs like the Junior Chef at Sea, educational workshops, pajama and ice cream parties, and the Kids Fun Fair. There's a fun new toddler area for kinds under three years old, a great space for group activities like movie nights, a new mini air hockey table that's really cool, an area for the always popular art and crafts programs, and a really cool indoor play structure.

Princess Pelicans is also going to feature a brand new outdoor play area with toys, tricycles, and a great new playground that kids are really going to love!' (Princess Cruises)

From the Princess Cruises website:

Princess Pelicans (ages 3-7)

Our Youth Centers are staffed by entertaining and experienced counselors, all of whom are dedicated and trained to make sure kids are having the best vacation ever. Little ones will want to stay all day while counselors entertain them with:

- Kindermusik® at Sea

- Kids-only dance parties

- Movies and cartoons

- Ice Cream and pizza parties

- T-shirt coloring

- Pajama parties

- Theme nights

- Fun Fairs

- Art Projects

Toddler play area

8436645713_c618e5f8fa_z.jpg

Indoor lounge and TV area

8437728110_9eaca3c1de_z.jpg

Air hockey and arts and crafts areas

8436645831_9621e5e627_z.jpg

Indoor play structure

8437728210_7787db557b_z.jpg

Outdoor playground

8437728230_43f4342ecc_z.jpg

Coming up next: Shockwaves and Remix!

Hi dmwnc1959

Thanks very much for this thread. We managed to get on the pre maiden cruise on 14 June. We have been assigned. E403. So have been looking at your photos to see what our obstructed view will be. We think it will be a divet from the lifeboat forward of us. We seem to have a slanted balcony as well. Really looking forward to sering all the new areas on board. We are more than happy to share our photos with you.

Jackie.

We're on the same Royal preview cruise too (mid-aft Deluxe Balcony on Baja) - I'm sure we can contribute to the taking of photos.

Dides

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you! Very cool. I bet you are excited! :D

Jackie, I think you are right. I did another transparent overlay and came up with this:

8437922302_1c02ea1d66.jpg

However, I'm sure you'll be spending a lot of time enjoying the rest of the ship. ;) Looking forward to everyones pictures!!!

Was just on the new CCL Breeze and the Big screen had a very good picture.

Archived