Why do people book with Thomson?

We've done U.S. ships twice and dress code on them was just as relaxed as Thomson. Dress up for formal night if you want, or not and go to the buffet instead.

Berwyn,

Need to watch what I`m saying as was accused of all sorts(not liquorice)the last time by a visitor on this forum from across the sea so lets just say I`m more comfortable among my own.Were also very much creatures of habit,once we like something we find it difficult to change.Its a thought forking out thousands for the unknown and not enjoying it(although we may) as opposed to forking out thousands for something your familiar with and know your going to enjoy(no guarantee I know).

Theres no doubt we`ll change one day,but not just now

Like you we like Thomson but management's attitude towards us will push loyal Thomson cruisers elsewhere if they're not careful.

That there is no doubt

Lol Jim, I'm not saying anything or I'll be accused of same as you :D

We found the passengers on princess to be much more cosmopolitan and more interesting than Royal Caribbean.

My problem is that 'Er indoors likes the big newer ships. If she hadher way we'd be on Allure of the Seas :eek::eek:

Berwyn

And let's face it some obc doesn't cost them nearly as much as the value to us! £100 'cash-back' on the basis of obc if spent on drinks in particular would cost Thomson much less than the face value - after all they do have a mark up on drinks sold. Perhaps those of you with more insight may be able to put a ball-park figure on it but if they have a 50% profit margin on drinks - then it will actually only cost them £50 to give you £100. I suspect the margin will be bigger but it illustrates the point. However, they do lose the profit they would have got had you been buying that £100 worth of drinks however with a £100 'bonus' I would probably spend more than usual as often happens when you think you've got a bargain! :rolleyes::D And there's no doubt it would be appreciated by customers - at least there'd be some sweetener when you see those prices plummeting!

There are 40x25ml measures in a one litre bottle or 28x35ml measures. Duty free a litre bottle will cost Thomson around £6 or £7 so at £3.70 and allowing for the 40ml measures I would estimate a bottle brings in about £75 and thats a profit of £68!!!

Cans of soft drink, bought wholesale will be about 30p each and at £1.80 thats a profit of £1.50 per can

There are 40x25ml measures in a one litre bottle or 28x35ml measures. Duty free a litre bottle will cost Thomson around £6 or £7 so at £3.70 and allowing for the 40ml measures I would estimate a bottle brings in about £75 and thats a profit of £68!!!

Cans of soft drink, bought wholesale will be about 30p each and at £1.80 thats a profit of £1.50 per can

Well there you go! Really not costing them too much is it? :rolleyes:

just did 2 false bookings online 14 night in Med July 2013

Dream double inside cabin reservation and safe

£3561

you can have the AI for both of you for £276

P&O Oceana double inside,

£2658 vantage fare (if the price drops you get extra obc)

£70 obc each

If you don't mind sea days :eek:

I think there is a massive issue with Thomson prices at the moment. Traditionally viewed as a budget operator, they are now as expensive, or more so than the 4 and even some 5 star lines. A couple of reasons -

1 Less ships to fill, they can afford to not be as aggressive on the headline price to get punters on board, especially when they know what a loyal customer base they have.

2 Older hardware, more expensive to run and maintain. Fuel has risen considerably in the last few years and the older ships are less fuel efficient. The newer ships also have more passengers to spread the cost of the fuel across. Basically, Thomson cruisers are now paying for the fact that the parent company has not invested in the brand over the last few years. It seems much of the Dream 'Platinum' upgrade was more about making it more fuel efficient than upgrading the facilities on board.

Thomson in my opinion are running the risk of backing themselves into a corner. Yes, we all love the product, and don't want it to change but loyalty only goes so far. They can't have a budget offering at a premium price in this market. And we are seeing more and more evidence of cut backs on board, diminishing the cruise experience whilst paying a higher price for the privilege of doing so.

Ellacott's recent boasts regarding the fact that Thomson are able to increase the price of cruising may well come back to haunt him -

"It’s been largely a good news story for Thomson Cruises over the last couple of years. We are consistently seeing an increase in our selling prices, volumes year-on-year and most importantly customer satisfaction."

I think their 2 main USP's are the fact that you fly out to the ships so that cuts down on sea days and travelling time to get to your cruising area, and they have smaller friendly ships,,more relaxed which clearly suits an awful lot of us.

Hmmm,,,I also can't believe I think that way as I absolutley hate flying with a vengeance but the thought of crossing the bay of biscay on the water scares me even more :rolleyes:

You sound like me Cappers - why do we put ourselves through it? Don't like flying & not keen on rough seas either!!! I did read an excellent book prior to our last flight & it really worked - it was "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Enjoy Flying" and I would never have thought it but it actually worked - I was absolutely fine on the flight - going to read it again next time before we fly!

The problem is is not crossing the bay of biscay important enough to you to justify paying about £900 more for your holiday. I quoted the P&O example but there are a lot of other cruise lines out there with high quality ships that offer fly cruises from the UK.

There you have Thomsons dilemma. They are charging industry level prices but their ships are old and to bring them up to modern standards is very very expensive.

Maybe they are engaged in a delaying action. Spending the minimum they think they can get away with to maintain booking levels while hoping for either a new build or for some 10-15 year old ships to become available at reasonable prices.

Look at the Dream/Celebration. Even with their platinum upgrades my example of P&O Oceana knocks spots off them as far as accomodation and facilities are concerned, and Oceana is considered to be a 'old' ship that may well leave P&O as a reborn Ocean village!.

Some very interesting comments re Thomson marketing, particularly davecttr's costing exercise.

We cancelled our September Thomson cruise because a) the price dropped £800 for the 2 of us with 8 months to the sailing date, and b) we were attracted to the Celebration because of the Platinum upgade (great Platinum hotels) but read reviews which indicate the upgrade appears to be only a standard refurbishment.

We started cruising on the old Airtours Seawing, then Sundream and Sunbird (Thomson Destiny). Tried other lines and eventually P&O.

The passengers on all were similar, pleasant, polite and well mannered, just looking for a good holiday with like minded people.

We have stayed with P&O because their standards are fairly high and consistent. The cabins are good whatever you choose, tea & coffee facilities, fridge, (free safe), etc etc. Dining and entertainment always good in our view. Bar prices very fair (pub prices) and excellent service, with low tipping costs. We love the ships, particularly Aurora, Oriana and Arcadia. We have been virtually all round the world with P&O and thoroughly enjoyed it. Despite what you may read (from people who often have not tried P&O) there is no snobbery. The worst we actually encountered was on the Seawing in 1995.

The one thing we didn't like is the constant basing the ships in Southampton (other than Caribbean and World sector cruises). With the much hyped Platinum upgrade by Thomson we thought that Thomson were going to try and give P&O, Princess etc a challenge with equal passenger facilities but with ships based in great places for excellent itineraries.

Good marketing strategy we thought. Great fly cruises on ships which have had super makeovers. They must sell very quickly. Mmmm! not so, the prices have fallen, the upgrades look over-hyped, yet the prices are not competetive with the larger cruise lines who offer newer ships with better personal facilities.

On reflection we are relieved that we made the decision to cancel. If we had cancelled and rebooked at the lower prices I think we would have our doubts, so £350 poorer we are looking at fly cruises on Celebrity for later this year, and back on dear old Aurora for a fly cruise sector in early 2014.

Our last cruise was on Aurora in October 12 and it was £2822 (total for 2) for an excellent oceanview cabin for 17 great days to the Eastern Med.

So Thomson, your ideas are good but if you over hype and slash prices so early you will lose customers faster than you will gain them.

Archived