Groove for St. Jude

put me on a ship

Heads up, I'm going to vent a little about this event!

We've been on 7 Carnival cruises, and have always participated in this event, but are always disappointed in the actual event. This is such a great cause, but seriously, oh by the way, we are doing a couple line dances on Lido Deck, and oh yeah, not clearing any space, so you have to practically dance on the loungers (complete with the sunbathers!). On one cruise, there were only 3 dancers (two of which were myself and my DH).

Only one cruise was this actually a big event....on Victory, CD was "Karl with a K". Thank you, "Karl with a K" for making this a lot of fun, and more than two line dances! He has been the only CD that made this event what I thought it should be!

Don't get me wrong, we WILL still participate, because it is a good cause, and we always have fun on our cruises. I just feel more should be made of the event.

I'm interested in hearing of other cruisers experiences with Groove for St Jude

i know, i'm a bad person because i'm just not into charity collections being part of an event, anywhere or anytime and a cruise ship is no different. i have given a lot to St. Judes, by the way, but for me a check suffices and i just don't need all the fru-fru stuff. besides, with all the charities out there and with so many people having their favorites i kind of think that blocking out time on a cruise for a charity fund raiser is kind of lame. flame away.

I had Karl on the Liberty last Feb and it was a pretty decent turnout. On the Glory, the assistant CD hosted it and gave it a twist to make it more interesting. Turnout was decent. Unfortunately, it was the same 3-4 dance routines they have throughout the cruise. I'll always donate during the event no-matter.

Carnival should mix it up just a little bit more though.

I have no problem donating to numerous charities, I donate quite a bit in fact, while I'm at home. But what I don't like is feeling hassled/pressured to donate while I'm on vacation. It just doesn't sit well with me. I'm on vacation to get away from it all.

St. Jude is a great cause, and Carnival donates a ton of money to them, but I'm just not comfortable with how they go about it. Maybe others feel the same and that's why turnout is not always good?

I have no problem donating to numerous charities, I donate quite a bit in fact, while I'm at home. But what I don't like is feeling hassled/pressured to donate while I'm on vacation. It just doesn't sit well with me. I'm on vacation to get away from it all.

St. Jude is a great cause, and Carnival donates a ton of money to them, but I'm just not comfortable with how they go about it. Maybe others feel the same and that's why turnout is not always good?

I happen to agree and I can't help but think that there's underlying factions that go on in these so-called charity causes. There was on one cruise the Susan B. Komen walk for breast cancer. I thought about participating because my sister died with breast cancer. However, looking into the organization they also support and give money to Planned Parenthood which supports abortions. I run the other way when asked to give to any cause. You are then forever bombarded with junk mail and pleading for more money. No thank you.

I've never felt pressured in ANY way to participate in this or to donate - in fact, the one time I did donate, I had to go out of my way to figure out how/where to pay them. I ended up in the Formalities shop where they gave me a shirt and rubber bracelet after I paid - she never mentioned anything about the "event", nor did I ask.

I run the other way when asked to give to any cause. You are then forever bombarded with junk mail and pleading for more money. No thank you.

Exactly. Everywhere you go someone is asking for something. Grocery store exits and the workplace are the worst.

Vacation is vacation, I don't need a daily reminder to make my donation while sailing the high seas.

I always just buy the T-shirt and bracelet. I never participate, but that's because I cannot dance to save my life.:o:o You would all thank me for that if you saw me in action. TWO LEFT FEET.:o I also make two donations throughout the year to St. Judes. Those kids stories break my heart.:(

i know, i'm a bad person because i'm just not into charity collections being part of an event, anywhere or anytime and a cruise ship is no different. i have given a lot to St. Judes, by the way, but for me a check suffices and i just don't need all the fru-fru stuff. besides, with all the charities out there and with so many people having their favorites i kind of think that blocking out time on a cruise for a charity fund raiser is kind of lame. flame away.

Actually, I totally get it...and appreciate a different perspective!

I understand...there is a house building here well in the state, (Montana), for a St. Jude fundraiser raffle and an electrician is finishing his 4o year career on the job, passing on the business to his son at the end of his last job, re-connecting with all the guys he got started in their careers who have also donated their help ...it is just a cool story. My grandpa's business partner donated his home for becoming one of the Ronald McDonald houses as it was close to the hospital in this town I grew up in here...not where I am presently...

We all need to do what we can do and never do really...I understand the constant being hit up..but I also keenly understand just how hard the times are making a big move just before the start of the slump in the economy...saying goodbye to lots or equity and more....

I guess i think it gives people the chance to teach their kids that people care and do what they can in many different ways and how to say yes and no and pick their charities as per their inclinations etc. I consider both Montana and Oregon my homes and was there for Susan 's fight and start of the organization and always loved seeing the walks there and everywhere....did not know they also supported Planned Parenthood...which I do not think in beginning had much to do with abortions...that I guess changed over the years as a Catholic wife and mother of 8 and wife of and OB and mother of an OB...my friend...LOL started it in one Montana town ...but I digress as usual...LOL..I say don't push but do what you have to do where effective..little inclinations to share may only happen on vacation for some...Sarah

I actually PREFER that it wasn't made a big deal by our CD on the Freedom. Several announcements were made, they had a table set up near the main pool selling the tshirts and wristbands for $10. They said that the assistant CD was going to get tossed in the pool if they raised $X. I donated, got my tshirt, went on my way. I would have been less likely to participate if it required yet another event I had to squeeze into my jam-packed, hard-earned relaxation time.

I always participate in this activity and I agree sometimes it is run well and sometimes it is an afterthought.

Carnival partnered with St Jude in December 2009 and I have done probably

20 of these since then.

On those 20 cruises, I did notice that Carnival is generally very careful not to be "in your face" about it, because they do understand that some folks on vacation do not want to be reminded of this.

To be perfectly honest, after seeing the success of Susan B Komen, the St Jude results have been pretty disappointing.

Now we need to realize that Susan B Komen is a marketing machine. (I too did not realize that Susan B Komen donated to Planned Parenthood)....

And while St Jude has been around a whole lot longer....they are more into cures than marketing....

Also, while sadly most people have personally been touched (either individually or with a family member or dear friend) by breast cancer.....

fortunately that is not the case with childhood cancers.

And I would guess that people tend to give to things that touch their lives.

Butch did an amazing job in November on the Breeze....but it is difficult to "dance" around lounge chairs.....

Archived