boxed wine

kat923

Planning on bringing a 5 liter of boxed wine... should i take it out of the box or leave it in the box....what are the chances of getting it taken away?should i do a 3 liter instead? It would be in checked luggage not carry on.

Chances are fairly high that it will get nabbed. If you would be embarrassed by that, it's better to stick with carrying your legal bottle in your carryon. If you like wine, you can call Bon Voyage and get a five wine package at different price points. You have to call them for that or order it on the ship- not online. Cuts the cost a bit.

We take ours out of the box and put into a 2-1/2 gallon zip lock bag. Never had leakage and never had any confiscated. The airlines checked our bag and have always said we packed it correctly. Wine bottles are bubble wrapped and never had one break. Do the best you can and don't worry about it. Boxed wine is cheap and Two Buck Chuck even cheaper. :D

We left our 3L in the box to give more protection against breakage. And wrapped it in a garbage bag to be extra safe! It arrived safely in our locked checked bags, along with three 32 oz. rum runners, divided among three suitcases.

Nice!!!

Quick question: IF it gets "nabbed": will they hold it for you to pick up at the end of the cruise or does it get "thrown out?" :rolleyes: I know they hold bottles, "throw out" rum runners but was never sure about wine boxes! :confused::pTIA

Quick question: IF it gets "nabbed": will they hold it for you to pick up at the end of the cruise or does it get "thrown out?" :rolleyes: I know they hold bottles, "throw out" rum runners but was never sure about wine boxes! :confused::pTIA
Technically, if it is in its original sealed container it should be returned to you.

I say 'should', because sometimes it all depends on who is making the decision.

Technically, if it is in its original sealed container it should be returned to you.

I say 'should', because sometimes it all depends on who is making the decision.

Or who the crew member party planner is! :eek: Thanks for the info. I know, it's hit or miss...:confused::confused:

Boxed wine is really wine! :cool: There are a couple of different companies that put this out now. It's a box and inside is the bladder of wine. You punch a pre made hole in the box and put the spout at the hole and "press and pour." Next time you are at your liquor store, look for them. You will say, oh....that's what they were talking about! :eek::rolleyes:;):o:p

IF mine gets confiscated, I will get even by having ALL tips removed from my S&S. If more would do this, perhaps the practice of confiscation will stop. BTW, we did this on a b2b cruise when we purchased liquor in the store. Others on the same cruise took their liquor back to their room. Some way they knew we were staying on the ship so they held it back from us. I told them to take it off my S&S that we would not be purchasing it, and while they're at it, remove all tips from our S&S. On the night before debarkation, the alcohol showed up in our room and we were never charged for the alcohol. I left the tips removed from our S&S - just for the aggravation they caused us. The booze to this day has never been opened. So Carnival, be forewarned. :eek:

IF mine gets confiscated, I will get even by having ALL tips removed from my S&S. If more would do this, perhaps the practice of confiscation will stop. BTW, we did this on a b2b cruise when we purchased liquor in the store. Others on the same cruise took their liquor back to their room. Some way they knew we were staying on the ship so they held it back from us. I told them to take it off my S&S that we would not be purchasing it, and while they're at it, remove all tips from our S&S. On the night before debarkation, the alcohol showed up in our room and we were never charged for the alcohol. I left the tips removed from our S&S - just for the aggravation they caused us. The booze to this day has never been opened. So Carnival, be forewarned. :eek:

Why would you remove the tips? What did the crew do to you?

Wow. Are you serious? So, because you got caught and stopped from breaking the rules, you would and have removed the tips from the staff that had absolutely nothing to do with your alcohol purchasing / smuggling? The people that served your food? Cleaned your toilet? Made your bed? You removed all their tips? And you're actually suggesting that others do the same? That's just charming.:cool:

Just returned from the Dream. Had a box that I took the bag out of, put in a 2 quart ziplock and bagged it again. Laid it flat in the middle of the suitcase, near some jewlery, etc that would block the xray. Did not put a bottle of wine in that suitcase. It came through fine. Had other bottles of wine in different suitcases/carry ons that we and others had. All came through. Had a friend who had 6 bottles of wine, got 4 through and had 2 in one suitcase. They took those two and wouldn't give back until last day, which was frustrating because everyone else had their purchases back to them on Friday.

Planning on bringing a 5 liter of boxed wine... should i take it out of the box or leave it in the box....what are the chances of getting it taken away?should i do a 3 liter instead? It would be in checked luggage not carry on.

Keep it in the box. That way you will be more likely to get it back if it is confiscated. I have packed both 3 and 5 liter boxes with good results.

Archived