Gem compared to Dawn

NH Cruisers

I have recently sailed on the Dawn to Bermuda out of Boston. I really liked the ship, crew and destination. No negatives to report from me for the Dawn. Although I do wish there was an observation lounge up high, if there was one I never found it.

I am cruising out of NYC on the Gem in June. Are the ships identical? or are there differences? Is one better than the other?

Jon,

Hello fellow Granite Stater! The Gem is very similar. Gem has an outdoor eating area in the aft area on the ship where is a great spot to go for breakfast to avoid the main breakfast buffet rush. The pool layout is different on the Gem with everything mid ship, with a small water slide. The MDR's are pretty much the same between the two. As much as I personally like sailing out of Boston, NY took my heart on the Gem! I was on the Dawn in May, and the Gem in November and I really enjoyed the Gem! Gem has a bowling alley, with a nice lounge to hangout in. As the Dawn has seating on both sides, the Gem has it only on the port side. Gem has a cool little Bridge Viewing area on the starboard side on deck 11.

If you are lucky enough in June, Sinan will still be the cruise director! He is fabulous! I'm personally not a Paul Scally fan who I've had on two of my cruises so far. The hotel director on the Gem (Jenny) is very friendly and you see her everywhere!

We've sailed on both and liked both.

However, I prefer the ships of the Jewel Class, I think it's called. We loved the Gem and the Jade.

The Spinnaker is not chopped up for suites on the Gem like it has been on the Dawn. The Atrium is bigger so more can sit to view the great entertainers. Both had great captains when we sailed.

You can't go wrong, but if I had to choose, I'd choose the Gem.

The Gem is a beautiful ship! We sailed on her and then sailed on the Dawn. My thinking was that I would not like the Dawn as much after being onboard the Gem. However, I was wrong. Actually, I prefer the Dawn and her sister ship the Star over the Gem. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Gem. As others have posted the Gem still has the Spinnaker Lounger, (with the windows) which is great in itself. However, I personally preferred the layout of the Dawn/Star much better than the Gem as it appeared to be IMO more user friendly. At the time that we sailed aboard the Gem the crew was not as friendly as it was on the Dawn and most recently the Star. That being said, I would still sail aboard the Gem in a heartbeat.

Having sailed on both ships, I found smething to like on both of them.

On the Dawn I liked the soaring atrium with the glass elevators. The Dawn also has an indoor pool in the spa.

The Gem has two large outdoor pools on deck 12 while the Dawn has only one there.

I would hesitate sailing on either ship.

As much as I personally like sailing out of Boston, NY took my heart on the Gem! I was on the Dawn in May, and the Gem in November and I really enjoyed the Gem! Gem has a cool little Bridge Viewing area on the starboard side on deck 11.

I am excited for this trip. I can only imagine now how sailing out of NYC will be. I do love sailing out of Boston.

That bridge viewing area is only one mini-suite over from the one i'll be in. I only hope there isn't thousands of kids running up and down the corridore looking for the viewing area. LOL.

Hey too, its gonna be getting cold here the next day few days. I will really be wanting to cruise. Keep warm!

I have recently sailed on the Dawn to Bermuda out of Boston. I really liked the ship, crew and destination. No negatives to report from me for the Dawn. Although I do wish there was an observation lounge up high, if there was one I never found it.

I am cruising out of NYC on the Gem in June. Are the ships identical? or are there differences? Is one better than the other?

Jon,

You sound just like us! We did the Dawn out of Boston last year and are booked on the Gem the week before you this year :)

Plus you have an in between cruise! Lucky you!

The in between cruise is a mother/daughter trip with my mom, aunt, and cousin. Definitely looking forward to it :) Still getting spring break is definitely one of the perks of teaching!

The in between cruise is a mother/daughter trip with my mom, aunt, and cousin. Definitely looking forward to it :) Still getting spring break is definitely one of the perks of teaching!

Our first time on Princess was on the Caribbean Princess. It will be like a newer Grand Princess except one deck larger. Hope you have a great time.

Jon

Archived