Silversea Explorer Damaged

kobecat

....... your last chance to post cards to your loved ones. They may take between 2-10 weeks to arrive however.

The postcard I sent myself last January from Grytviken took 4 months to be delivered to my house by mail. I don't think they get as many visitors or boats/ships there.

Day 9

This morning our expedition is to Cuverville Island where there is a large Gentoo Penguin rookery. On arrival at the beach you could see lots of whale bones scattered around, jaw bones, ribs Etc.

Before our departure, the expedition leader announced over the tannoy that if anyone was interested you could hike to the top of the dome on the Island some 280mtrs high, covered in thick snow and rocks.

Note: This climb takes 45-50 minutes and is certainly not for the infirm or those not used to exercise. It is a steep climb but mapped out all the way by the experts. Fifty brave souls made the climb, one behind the other we looked like Edmund Hilary climbing Everest! (Slight exaggeration there) Once we reached the peak the views as you can imagine were stunning. Half way up most people discarded their hats, gloves, and some outer clothing. Walking poles proved very useful for this climb.

The hike back down is much easier, in fact the highlight is when you get to a point about a quarter of the way from the bottom you have an option to Toboggan on your rear end all the way down, it takes about 10 seconds and is great fun.

We are now certainly in to the routine of Life jackets off, Jackets on, boots on boots off, hats on hats off. The temperature today is a balmy +2 degrees. Not sure you ever get used to the Guano smell; there is a lot of it around!

For those not partaking in the hike you can still visit the Island and wander at your leisure.

This afternoon the ship visits Neko harbour, good for beautiful glaciers, there are guided walks on offer. We decided to sit this one out in favour of a relaxing hot tub on the top deck drinking a nice glass of champagne!! We could see the intrepid explorers climbing to the top of the island and we drank a toast to them. Some people just don’t know when to stop having fun!!

Yet another announcement of a hump back whale close to the ship.

This evening is a welcome get together for returning Venetian Guests, last evening the First timers to Silversea had their party.

:)

Day10

This is our last day in the Antarctic aboard the Explorer before we set sail this evening back through the Drake Passage.

We landed this morning at Hannah Point on the South coast of Livingston Island. We hope to see Southern Elephant Seals, Macaroni penguins, Chinstrap Penguins, Southern giant Petrels and Antarctic fur seals.

For those who enjoy some brisk exercise, the team offered a walk to fossil beach on the other side of the bay. It is a moderate walk with a few slight inclines and slippery rocks; it is approx 4km return or a 1.5 to 2hr walk. The highlight of this tour was 40-50 male juvenile Elephant seals who basking on the beach, they come ashore to lose their coats. When fully grown they are called beach masters, they grow up to 5 metres in length, can weigh 5 tons, and live to 50yrs of age, they have no natural predators. When in the sea they can go to 1500 metres and stay under water for up to 2 hours.

Once again, we saw plenty of different penguin colonies and large sea birds, fantastic morning. :):D

It all sounds fantastic fudge, so glad that you have both enjoyed the experience, we have loved reading your blog, can't wait to see the photos! Hope your voyage through Drake's Passage is a bit calmer than your outgoing one!

Safe home, I'm sure that Cyprus will feel positively balmy after those temperatures.... XX

Fudge, sounds like a great trip. We are not doing an Antarctica trip this year, but are on the Explorer as it repositions to the northern hemisphere. How is the food and wine on-board? We are actually on a portion of the reposition that is a food and wine cruise from Lisbon to London. A favor, could you check out the connoisseur's lounge? I understand they have cigars and cognac.

Thanks and thoroughly enjoyed your posts. Using it as ammunition for the wife as she is afraid it will be too cold for her.

This afternoon the ship moved to Whalers Bay Deception Island, which you may have heard of? It is located in the South Shetland Islands off the Antarctic Peninsula. The most recent volcano eruptions were in 1967 and 1969 which caused serious damage to the scientific stations there. The only current research stations are run by the Argentinean Army and Spain.

It is a sad place given the history of the place due to whaling, all the old huts and equipment is still there I hope never to be used ever again.

This Island is where if you are foolish enough you can partake in the famous polar plunge, anyone brave enough to jump into the icy waters is allowed to do so. It would be a shame to come all this way and not do it, and yes we did it!!! Even after one minute you cannot feel your legs, great fun though.

Well that’s it folks, now that I have bored the pants off you, our trip of a lifetime is almost over. We have the two day Drake Passage to look forward to (not) then a day in BA before our homeward trip.

I would like to place on record our thanks to the crew and experts of the Explorer. They really make it an adventure never to be forgotten.

I only have one small observation, Silversea still nickel and dime you for using the internet irrespective of how many times you sailed with them.

Please feel free to ask any questions about the ship or the trip, I will be more than pleased to try and answer them. We can honestly say it has been well worth the money, effort and time to get here, one of the world’s great untouched places to visit.

Good luck to all who have booked for future cruises; you WILL have a fantastic time.

Bon voyage:

Mr and Mrs Fudge, aka Bev and Steve.....

Hi Ballyboffin,

I hope you are bothe well? Thanks for your posts, we will indeed have a safe journey home. Two days now of eating and drinking before we reach BA.

Will mail you on our return xxx

I will check out the cigar lounge and report later.

Fudge, thank you for your wonderful descriptions. We were in Southeast Asia on Oceana's Nautica a few years ago and they also charged an arm and a leg for internet access. So I really, really appreciate your using your precious internet time to keep us up on what you were doing.

I have just picked up this thread now and amazed at the blog post of Claudia Holgate that was reproduced here. I sailed with her a few years ago and she is incredibly knowledgeable and very unassuming and kind. Fudge, is Claudia on board, have you met her? I have so enjoyed your blogs, thank you for taking your internet time to share your experience with us and I hope you have a safe trip home.

Bohaiboy,

I checked out the lounge, they have about 14 cigars for sale between 10-30 dollars each. You can purchase the Brandy for between 10-90 dollars a shot, there are about 6 different ones. Of course you can still enjoy the ships complimentary brandy!

It is a small lounge wich seats about 17 people.

We are 14 hrs into our crossing of the Drake Passage, still not for the passenger who suffers from motion sickness!! 12-16 ft swell, just about comfortable. :eek::(

Someone asked if Claudia Holgate is on board (Climatologist and birder) yes she is, a wealth of knowledge as are all the Expedition team.

Another question was, how is the food and drink? As I said earlier, we are easily pleased. The breakfast is buffet style; plenty of choice, eggs cooked fresh how you like them.

For us lunch is the best meal. Again buffet style with lots of choice, at least two choices of fish, three choices of meat, plenty of fresh fruit and salad, great choice of desserts.

At 4pm, you can have fresh sandwiches, tea, coffee, and freshly baked scones with cream, yum yum! :D

Dinner is what it is, a la cart, a choice of 4 smaller portions, from appetizers to the main course.

As for the wines: Again, personal choice, if one is not to your palate the Sommelier changes it without question.

Entertainment: The experts give regular talks on their particular subject, otherwise it’s a guy on a piano, and no dancing girls here I’m afraid.

If you are not an expert at taking photos fear not, the team put together a video of the trip plus a CD with 500 photos, you can purchase for 150 US dollars.

Tonight is a casual/elegant night, the third of the trip, a chance for Mrs Fudge to dress up; we are invited to the Captains table, should we really eat with the staff??? (Only joking there) :p

Had dinner tonight with Beverly and Steve...we got to share captain's table at dinner, and had a great time

I have been doing a blog along the way as well...if you want to compare and contrast along with some photos from the trip...please go to

rchimsky.tumblr.com

I have been doing a blog along the way as well...if you want to compare and contrast along with some photos from the trip...please go to

Excellent blog and wonderful photos. I have sent your link along to friends who are undecided about this trip - that should persuade them to sign up :)

fudge, I've very much enjoyed reading about your cruise. I'm not brave enough for the notorious seas of Antarctica, especially after the events that led to this thread being started. So I've lived it vicariously through your posts.

Thanks very much.

Had dinner tonight with Beverly and Steve...we got to share captain's table at dinner, and had a great time

rchimsky.tumblr.com

I did go to your blog and it is wonderful. I am so glad you posted it. We are scheduled for the Silver Explorer in February 2014. Thank you for sharing your experience.

We enjoyed a very nice evening with the Captain; the difference between this cruise and other Silversea cruises is that you are encouraged to mix with other guests. You can of course choose to dine alone, but I must admit with such a small passenger list you soon get to know most of the guests.

The service has once again been outstanding; we were called by our names by most of the crew.

The rest of the crossing of the Drake Passage was thankfully uneventful, not smooth, but by no means as bad as our first crossing!! The journey back was only 48hrs as opposed to 62 hrs getting to the Antarctica. We generally relaxed on board attending several lectures and had an opportunity to watch the Video produced by the Expedition team, it was 1hr long, very informative and good quality.

For those who have never sailed with SS before your bags have to be packed and outside your room by 23.30hrs the night before embarkation. On the day of departure you enjoy a leisurely breakfast leaving the vessel at 08.45, after a very short bus ride to the end of the pier you have about 1hr 50 mins to explore the town, a good opportunity for last minute shopping!

At 10.50 am you board the bus to the airport, it’s only a 10 minute ride. At the airport you go to the check in desk, again a simple check in procedure. By the way, after leaving your bags outside your room you don’t see them until landing at BA.

We were only in the airport 90 minutes before we took off 5 mins early heading for BA. Landed at the domestic airport, 8 mins early at 15.52 very simple getting out. Now in a very nice Hotel not far from EZE airport ready for the long flight home tomorrow. :(

We had a nice surprise on the flight back to BA, they served a larger snack, a cheese and ham sandwich, cheese biscuits, a cake, AND a choice of red or white wine. Be guarded at Ushuaia airport, like most airports food and drink is quite expensive, people were buying sandwiches thinking we only had cookies on the plane. :D

We left the ship at about 8:30am, then had to linger around town of Ushuaia until 10:30am so we could go to the airport. Sunday morning in Ushuaia virtually nothing is open, so we are wandering like a pack of aimless animals thru a deserted town. Finally on the bus to the airport for the ten minute trip. Then the scramble at the airport or boarding passes, security, and more waiting in the terminal till noon when we board the plane. Two gates right next too each other with both flights going to buenos Aries and no one announcing or effectively managing traffic. Welcome back to civilization. Four hour flight back up to Buenos Aries and the cruise is officially over.

For those keeping score, in Africa the prize is to see the big five animals, but in Antarctica the scorecard is a bit more diverse. In terms of penguins we saw four of the possible five types: Adelie, gentoo, chinstrap, and macaroni..the only one we did not see was the emperor...rarely are seen where we were since they tend to inhabit areas much more inland closer to the pole. On the seal front, we saw fur, leopard,elephant, and Weddell. The other couple we did not see are found in different parts of Antarctica, such as the heavy pack ice in the Weddell Sea, or on the other side of the continent around the Ross Sea. We saw Fin whales, Killer (orca) whales, humpback whales, and minke whales. Several more varieties possible in the region but rarely seen, like the blue whale who is the largest species of whale, hunted almost to extinction, and who travel in pairs or very small groups so getting to see them is very hard. Then numerous forms of birds such as albatross and Petrils. All in all we could not have wished for much more in terms of sightings. We made it further south than Silversea had ever gone before, past the Antarctic circle. We made it through Drake's passage in one of its moments of fury, and made it safely back to dry land again. Wonderful cruise...

Noob. Sorry.

Sailing Feb 20 on Explorer. How can I find out my cabin assignment?

• If you have your final documents, the cabin should be shown.
  • If you have your booking number but no docs, check the Silversea site on-line
  • I also think you should either call your travel agent or Silversea (if booked directly) immediately to get the info and find out where the docs are (if you don't have them).
  • Did you arrange your flights independently or through Silversea? Check that as well if you don't have the info.
  • Then pack and have a great cruise.

Hi folks,

I realise I should have waited until the end of the cruise before I posted a review however, for anyone who wants to read it in full instead of trawling through this thread, its now posted on the cruise review obviuosly under Silver Explorer. ;)

Hi folks,

I realise I should have waited until the end of the cruise before I posted a review however, for anyone who wants to read it in full instead of trawling through this thread, its now posted on the cruise review obviuosly under Silver Explorer. ;)

Nice job Fudge! Thanks for sharing your voyage with us.

Archived