Sports TV 24/7 to show sports from around the world in most bars on all 3 ships

southwestie

...(I'm available for all sorts of problem-solving at competitive rates).

Tread warily there MS01 - you could find yourself in a turf war with a certain feline entrepreneur (deceased). He may just make you an offer you can't refuse :eek:

J

Not a problem - my rates actually aren't that competitive - expensive things cruises, got to pay for them somehow

Don't I know it - still struggling to scrape September's fare together out of the derisory pittance the Department of Health sees fit to chuck at me for looking after their databases. :eek:

J

Well it's wonderful to see that most of the old stalwarts are still praising Cunard.

My DH and l haven't embarked on one of those 'great' ships for over four years now and l finally realise why not.

The old Cunard has long gone.....went out with QE2 and that is a fact.

Pubs and sport do indeed go together on land....but at sea one wishes for something more demure.

Who the hell wants to experience all that. The 'Pubs' on board are quite obviously turning into a free for all shouting game at whatever is being shown.

The line in my humble opinion has gone down big style.....and it's a damn shame.

Goodnight Cunard. It was great while it lasted.....and will never be the same again.

Well it's wonderful to see that most of the old stalwarts are still praising Cunard.

My DH and l haven't embarked on one of those 'great' ships for over four years now and l finally realise why not.

The old Cunard has long gone.....went out with QE2 and that is a fact.

Pubs and sport do indeed go together on land....but at sea one wishes for something more demure.

Who the hell wants to experience all that. The 'Pubs' on board are quite obviously turning into a free for all shouting game at whatever is being shown.

The line in my humble opinion has gone down big style.....and it's a damn shame.

Goodnight Cunard. It was great while it lasted.....and will never be the same again.

QE2 had a Golden Lion Pub in her later years. I find the one on QM2 to be much nicer. No smoking and not a constant flow of traffic through the area.

I'm curious. Since you've stopped sailing with Cunard, have you found a more demure cruise line?

QE2 had a Golden Lion Pub in her later years. I find the one on QM2 to be much nicer. No smoking and not a constant flow of traffic through the area.

I'm curious. Since you've stopped sailing with Cunard, have you found a more demure cruise line?

Hi Kathy,

No l haven't found another cruise line that can come up to the standard of the old Cunard and that is why we have stopped cruising. The QE2 pub had such a wonderful atmosphere with the jazz bands et al and one could always see folk just enjoying themselves ...smokers or not. In those days it wasn't a big deal.

I suppose l am just old fashioned!

And there was me thinking it was all about something being shown on a TV in a room whilst lots of other things went on in other rooms all over the ship...

... turns out it was the fall of Western civilisation and I didn't even realise

And that is why l rest my case dear boy.

Oh, whe are an expert on human behaviour at football and rugby matches now are we? Watch a lot of it in Florida do we?

As always Olliesmum you miss the essentials.

I may live in Florida now, but did not come here until I was in my 60's. Born in the a mining valley in S Wales (Mountain Ash, Glam to be precise), Spent many of my growing years in Poplar (East India Dockland area of London, dealt with my first dead body at age 15, courtesy of the **** bombers).

I am very familiar with the behaviour of the fans at Twickenham, and Wembley. With the

"strawberries and cream tea " crowd at Henley and Wimbledon , and my husband played golf at the Royal and Ancient at St Andrews.

Some of us have lived very full, "exciting" and "different" lives.

I may look like or write Miss Marples, but looks and words are deceiving.

my husband played golf at the Royal and Ancient at St Andrews.

Lynn, I hope you will allow me to offer a small correction. The Royal & Ancient is the name of a members club whose clubhouse overlooks the first tee and eighteenth green of the Old Course at St Andrews. The Old Course is perhaps the most famous golf course in the world; whilst the R&A are the custodians of the rules of golf, worldwide.

The R&A does not own the course - that privilege falls to the Links Trust - and it is open to anyone to apply for a tee time, provided they can play a bit. It is rather more difficult to become a member of the R&A.

It is normal to talk about playing the Old Course, as opposed to playing the R&A. I offer this comment as a native of St Andrews.

Lynn, I hope you will allow me to offer a small correction. The Royal & Ancient is the name of a members club whose clubhouse overlooks the first tee and eighteenth green of the Old Course at St Andrews. The Old Course is perhaps the most famous golf course in the world; whilst the R&A are the custodians of the rules of golf, worldwide.

The R&A does not own the course - that privilege falls to the Links Trust - and it is open to anyone to apply for a tee time, provided they can play a bit. It is rather more difficult to become a member of the R&A.

It is normal to talk about playing the Old Course, as opposed to playing the R&A. I offer this comment as a native of St Andrews.

Mea Culpa, I have never been a golfer myself, and of course Jim is no longer here to correct me. I just knew that he and others from RAF Leuchars would go off to play golf at st Andrews.

Being female I have never played Rugby or Football , but the "agro", "fights" and violence at and after games, etc. with graphic photographs of injured bystanders and police.

The aggression shown by "fans" on this thread, certainly makes it obvious there is a potential for bad feeling on board. Having read some replies, imagine the reaction if a non- fan made a derogatory remark in the Golden Lion, at a tense point in the game.

That would be bad for everyone concerned. Fans, Cunard, and innocent passengers accidently caught in the "fall out."

At what hours will sports events be broadcast in the Golden Lion on QM2? I would hope that it would not be during lunch hours.

I'm not much of a sports fan, so I don't watch sports events, except for some baseball games. Mostly, my sports interest is swimming, and that's what I'll do when the Pubs show sports events on board, hoping the pool will be less crowded.

A bit of levity - quote from the movie Grease (1978) from Principal McGee:

“If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.”

Just have football/sports (but let's face it, we are talking about football) in the pub. Then do what I do when something is on which I don't like - don't go there at that time (I'm available for all sorts of problem-solving at competitive rates).

A most unsatisfactory approach. You obviously need a copy of my new DVD, "Hunt Down Irritants with Sir Martin", available at all highly suspect outlets, and priced at my usual uncompetitive rates.

Along with the DVD, you get a couple of free hand grenades, useful for lobbing into areas that do not meet exacting Cunard standards (extra grenades, AND YOU WILL NEED THEM, available at discounted rates).

It goes without saying that if one happens to get pnhmrk, a full refund is given.

Sir Martin

As always Olliesmum you miss the essentials.

I may live in Florida now, but did not come here until I was in my 60's. Born in the a mining valley in S Wales (Mountain Ash, Glam to be precise), Spent many of my growing years in Poplar (East India Dockland area of London, dealt with my first dead body at age 15, courtesy of the **** bombers).

I am very familiar with the behaviour of the fans at Twickenham, and Wembley. With the

"strawberries and cream tea " crowd at Henley and Wimbledon , and my husband played golf at the Royal and Ancient at St Andrews.

Some of us have lived very full, "exciting" and "different" lives.

I may look like or write Miss Marples, but looks and words are deceiving.

Jimsgirl,

I fear your experiences regarding behaviour of rugby fans is at a complete opposite to my own.

I love the wit, the banter, the singing at any of the Six Nations games and I have yet to see any type of enforced segregation regarding fans. We tend to have a mutual respect and whilst on the field it has always been a case of work hard, play hard BUT.... When that final whistle blows it is a case of congratulating the opposition, off to the bar and discuss\celebrate where we might have done well or gone wrong....

have you actually attended a game where this crowd violence has taken place?

This is an

but the singing was just as vocal this year... There is HUGE rivalry between not just the teams but also the supporters.

midgets trying to play rugby (banter) and yes I have thrown many a pint of Brains down my throat at the Bridgend Rugby club.

I am TOTALLY 100% against having sports televised on these ships but each to their own and for those that want to watch then so be it but I will not be there. :)

Kiwi's can't sing but they can dance (or is that prance?)

Yes Jimsgirl I TOTALLY disagree with you when it comes to the behaviour of your typical rugby supporter. (none of this prancing about wearing crash helmets and large padded bed mattresses)

Rugby is a game for barbarians played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen played by barbarians.

Oscar Wilde

Jimsgirl,

I fear your experiences regarding behaviour of rugby fans is at a complete opposite to my own. ..

That's also my experience. Even the 13 a-side game - where proceedings on the pitch frequently bear a passing resemblance to the first day of the Somme - rarely if ever generates any crowd related problems.

J

Having sat in the GL towards the end of a match I can only say. from watching those there for the football. how sedate it all seemed. It was mid afternoon on a sea day. One lunchtime there was a jazz band playing which was very crowded. We arrived early but it was already full but managed to grab a couple of stools. Many turning up for lunch could not find seats. Cunard obviously prefer to show sport in areas where they can make money from selling drinks.

Being female I have never played Rugby or Football , but the "agro", "fights" and violence at and after games, etc. with graphic photographs of injured bystanders and police.

Women play ruby and football, they have done for quite a few years.

I would like to see these graphic photographs of injured bystanders and police.

For my sins I have spent most of my life travelling around the country following QPR and have been to nearly every ground in the top three leagues. I have NEVER witnessed violence or injuries. That may have happened SOMETIMES 40 years ago but certainly not now.

Hi Ollie

I fear you are mixing rugby with football, I am English and very proud of it... I have however thrown copious pints of beer down my throat at Bridgend (South Wales) and my drinking companions were players from both the Irish and Welsh National squads. What happens on the field, stays on the field and after the game we eat, drink and get merry.

THe Six Nations is in full swing as we debate this issue and you will never see enforced segregation where the English supporters are penned into one area and the Scots or any other nationality forced into another. Of course there will always be the traditional home and away 'end' but the centre of any stadium will hopefully always have mixed support and likewise in the bars prior to and after the game, it will have supporters from opposing sides.

I FULLY accept this does NOT equate to football supporters who I agree are a different kettle of fish and whilst here in the UK we might not have the violence we saw in the 70's and 80's... In football that violence is still there and in some European countries it is far worse now than what we saw decades ago. :)

The atmosphere at a rugby game is totally different to that we might witness at a football stadium... Totally different and what an atmosphere it is, even the coach journey to and from the games are different (thank goodness the floor on a coach is removable):o:o

Can football supporters buy beer inside the ground?

England for the Grand Slam

Hi Ollie

I fear you are mixing rugby with football, I am English and very proud of it... I have however thrown copious pints of beer down my throat at Bridgend (South Wales) and my drinking companions were players from both the Irish and Welsh National squads. What happens on the field, stays on the field and after the game we eat, drink and get merry.

THe Six Nations is in full swing as we debate this issue and you will never see enforced segregation where the English supporters are penned into one area and the Scots or any other nationality forced into another. Of course there will always be the traditional home and away 'end' but the centre of any stadium will hopefully always have mixed support and likewise in the bars prior to and after the game, it will have supporters from opposing sides.

I FULLY accept this does NOT equate to football supporters who I agree are a different kettle of fish and whilst here in the UK we might not have the violence we saw in the 70's and 80's... In football that violence is still there and in some European countries it is far worse now than what we saw decades ago. :)

The atmosphere at a rugby game is totally different to that we might witness at a football stadium... Totally different and what an atmosphere it is, even the coach journey to and from the games are different (thank goodness the floor on a coach is removable):o:o

Can football supporters buy beer inside the ground?

England for the Grand Slam

Yes you can buy beer in football gounds. You have always been able to buy beer in football grounds If you have to ask this question, When was the last time you were in a football ground? BTW two years ago I saw a man thumped by a rival supporter outside Twickers in 2010. (Yes, I also go to rugby.)

Yes you can buy beer in football gounds. You have always been able to buy beer in football grounds If you have to ask this question, When was the last time you were in a football ground? BTW two years ago I saw a man thumped by a rival supporter outside Twickers in 2010. (Yes, I also go to rugby.)

Are we playing semantics?

Yes alcohol is sold in the bars at a football club but most teams do NOT allow it on the terraces (unless you know different?)

Unfortunately I have not been to a game for a number of years hence the question. I have no idea why someone would 'thump' anyone outside of a stadium but no doubt there was a reason which I am certainly not condoning. That does not mean there is the violence between rival supporters that we see at football grounds. I can assure you that supporters are not 'penned in' whilst the home supporters are allowed to leave the ground unlike at football games where there might be a fear of confrontation.

I cannot understand why this is an issue as it has always been recognised that there is a huge difference between the behaviour of the different crowds although I obviously accept the disorder is only carried out by a moronic minority.

Are we playing semantics?

Yes alcohol is sold in the bars at a football club but most teams do NOT allow it on the terraces (unless you know different?)

Unfortunately I have not been to a game for a number of years hence the question. I have no idea why someone would 'thump' anyone outside of a stadium but no doubt there was a reason which I am certainly not condoning. That does not mean there is the violence between rival supporters that we see at football grounds. I can assure you that supporters are not 'penned in' whilst the home supporters are allowed to leave the ground unlike at football games where there might be a fear of confrontation.

I cannot understand why this is an issue as it has always been recognised that there is a huge difference between the behaviour of the different crowds although I obviously accept the disorder is only carried out by a moronic minority.

No we are not playing semantics but you are playing the "Rugby fans are so much better than football fans" card.

As you admit you have not been to a football game for a number of years, your argument is redundant, so I am not going to carry on with this conversation.

The assault outside Twickers was unprovoked, the assailant admitted it.

No we are not playing semantics but you are playing the "Rugby fans are so much better than football fans" card.

As you admit you have not been to a football game for a number of years, your argument is redundant, so I am not going to carry on with this conversation.

The assault outside Twickers was unprovoked, the assailant admitted it.

Ipswich chief executive Simon Clegg is seeking Football Association and Football League support for a change in the law that would allow football fans to enjoy alcoholic drinks in the same way that followers of other sports such as rugby and cricket enjoy.

Ipswich believe that football fans have been “unfairly targeted” in comparison to followers of other sports, and wants clubs to have the power to choose when and how they sell alcohol on a game-by-game basis.

My wife was a season ticket holder, my next door but one neighbour is the chairman of a football club and he regularly pops in for a chat where we often discuss the behaviour of the various types of supporters including the cricketing 'Barmy Army' so although I am practically bed-bound I do try my hardest to keep abreast of current affairs.

My understanding has been that the consumption of alcohol at football grounds were kept to the confines of clubs or bars, and there are now efforts being made to come into line with those rules that apply to rugby grounds and cricket clubs, hence my question.

Being a life long supporter of Tottenham Hotspur I do smile at the way you feel I believe: "Rugby fans are so much better than football fans" (Spurs are currently third in the English Football Premier League)

I certainly believe that on the whole there is indeed a completely different standard of behaviour between the two types of supporter although quite clearly we CANNOT brand every single football supporter with that same brush.... Is my wife a hooligan or guilty of rowdy or riotous behaviour as she is indeed someone that regularly goes to football matches? Of course not but sadly there are a very significant number of football fans that do not know what is acceptable and what is not....

Look at the songs that are sung by home supporters when Spurs are playing away from home but you have left the debate.

For those folks that do not know what current fans are singing, this is just one news article regarding one team... I could list any number of clubs and the singing by football 'fans' and remember, these chants are not sung by one offensive individual, they are sung by a significant number of fans.

Apologies if you are offended by this and this is NOT historical, this takes place every week at most football stadiums so I will respectfully suggest my point is not redundant :o:o

Spurs supporters no doubt give as good as they get, I have no idea what they sing as I have sadly not been to a game for far too long. You will not however hear this type of vile noise at a rugby game and I repeat I am a life long supporter of Tottenham.

Archived