Crossing the date line

no fuss travel

how does oceania handle the crossing of the date line? Do you just lose a day or what? We are busy trying to figure out our cruise in february and that one has us stumped. We are going from samoa to fiji when we cross the date line.

gain

Just to make things worse - Western Samoa recently moved to the New Zealand side of the Date line while American Samoa remains on the US side.

Result: 3 date line crossings, 2 westerly, one easterly - net loss of one day.

At least its mid week so I don't have to search for a missing sabbath.

MDZ

You only have a net loss if you continue west to Asia and return to the Americas via Europe. If you stay in the Pacific, you will get your day back before you return to the Americas.

Option 1: You move across the date line between American Samoa and Samoa, you lose a day ( -1) that you get back when you return to the American continent. (+ 1)

Option 2: You lose a day between the two Samoas ( -1) , then gain back the day going to Tahiti (+1). Moving to Tonga, you will lose that day again (-1), but you will get it back on your way to North America. (+1)

A few years ago, we did several crossings by flying from NZ to Tonga, then to Niue (Alofi), back to Tonga and NZ and then to the Cook Islands.

See the map. http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dateline.html

I did point out the Samoa date line shift to Oceania. They seemed uninterested. I suspect problems may arise for private tours in Western Samoa. The date may be different from the itinerary. I suggested to our tour operator to work from the Port Schedule rather than any date supplied by a customer. I will check with the ships navigating officer on boarding and then contact the tour operator if necessary.

MDZ

I did point out the Samoa date line shift to Oceania. They seemed uninterested. I suspect problems may arise for private tours in Western Samoa. The date may be different from the itinerary. I suggested to our tour operator to work from the Port Schedule rather than any date supplied by a customer. I will check with the ships navigating officer on boarding and then contact the tour operator if necessary.

MDZ

Which tour operator are you using in Apia? I have sent an email to our tour operator but have not heard back yet, since this was mentioned. I am so glad now that I asked the question.

Archived