Does the Windjammer have trays?

tdmullins

My upcoming cruise on the Jewel will be my first with Royal Caribbean. One of my favorite things to do on my past cruises on Carnival was to go up and get breakfast for my DH and I. I would order coffee and juice from room service and we would then enjoy breakfast on the balcony. Carnival's breakfast from room service was very lacking, so this worked out great. I have read that RCI does offer more for room service but I also know that the Windjammer will have way more.

So I was curious about the trays because it will be almost impossible to do this without one. I have yet to see one in pics, so I am thinking the answer is no.

My upcoming cruise on the Jewel will be my first with Royal Caribbean. One of my favorite things to do on my past cruises on Carnival was to go up and get breakfast for my DH and I. I would order coffee and juice from room service and we would then enjoy breakfast on the balcony. Carnival's breakfast from room service was very lacking, so this worked out great. I have read that RCI does offer more for room service but I also know that the Windjammer will have way more.

So I was curious about the trays because it will be almost impossible to do this without one. I have yet to see one in pics, so I am thinking the answer is no.

No trays in Windjammer, but room service will bring you your order on a tray and leave it with you.

They aren't available on the buffet line but perhaps ask one of the bussing staff for one? Likely, even a round drink tray would suffice.

Don't worry about looking like an idiot.... trust me it isn't worth getting worked up over such small things. You're doing a nice thing for the man you love!

No they do not, and it's always been a disappointment for me since they went away.

I understand the purpose, it's to save money, no tray washing, and probably more importantly, it keeps your eyes from being too big on your way through the line, which results in wasted food.

But I primarily travel by myself, and this is one more aspect of cruising that is NOT single-friendly.

Typically, a meal, even in the Windjammer, is multi-course. Breakfast might include juice, breads, eggs, meats, potatoes, fruits, milk, coffee. Lunch and dinner may start with a salad, then move on to a main course from the buffet, and finish up with a dessert. You simply cannot carry all these things on one plate with two hands, and even if you could, nobody wants their main course to sit and cool down while you eat your salad, or your ice cream to melt while you eat the meal.

Sometimes I do share a table in the Windjammer with another party, but if it's not crowded, I will sit at a table by myself. The no-tray concept means that you must get up and return to the buffet to get the subsequent portions of your meal.

It is very common for the waitstaff to clear the table while I leave to pick up the next part of the meal. If one is sitting with someone, it's easy enough to have them inform the waiter that you are returning. No such luck when sitting alone.

A single eater must literally plan to lose everything they have at the table, and go back and start completely over for the next part, with not only a new plate (as always) but new silverware and drink as well. And if it's even moderately crowded, plan on finding a new seat to continue with your meal as well, because someone else will have come and sat at your now empty table.

As I started out with, this has been one of the most frustrating changes to cruising for me, and I really wish they could come up with a way to allow single eaters to simply enjoy a whole meal at one place.

Theron

I have seen people using the metal tray that the ice bucket sits on in the windjammer...

I have also witnessed someone just walking up and taking the whole gray round platter of cake :eek:

Using a room service or ice bucket tray to take a few things back to the room wouldn't be as noticeable!

They aren't available on the buffet line but perhaps ask one of the bussing staff for one? Likely, even a round drink tray would suffice.

Don't worry about looking like an idiot.... trust me it isn't worth getting worked up over such small things. You're doing a nice thing for the man you love!

Thanks Brigbound! That makes me feel better. I like bringing my DH breakfast while letting him sleep in a little. He works hard and when we cruise is the one time he really takes a vacation. So I was hoping I could carry on our tradition. ( I'm sure he was too!)

No they do not, and it's always been a disappointment for me since they went away.

I understand the purpose, it's to save money, no tray washing, and probably more importantly, it keeps your eyes from being too big on your way through the line, which results in wasted food.

But I primarily travel by myself, and this is one more aspect of cruising that is NOT single-friendly.

Typically, a meal, even in the Windjammer, is multi-course. Breakfast might include juice, breads, eggs, meats, potatoes, fruits, milk, coffee. Lunch and dinner may start with a salad, then move on to a main course from the buffet, and finish up with a dessert. You simply cannot carry all these things on one plate with two hands, and even if you could, nobody wants their main course to sit and cool down while you eat your salad, or your ice cream to melt while you eat the meal.

Sometimes I do share a table in the Windjammer with another party, but if it's not crowded, I will sit at a table by myself. The no-tray concept means that you must get up and return to the buffet to get the subsequent portions of your meal.

It is very common for the waitstaff to clear the table while I leave to pick up the next part of the meal. If one is sitting with someone, it's easy enough to have them inform the waiter that you are returning. No such luck when sitting alone.

A single eater must literally plan to lose everything they have at the table, and go back and start completely over for the next part, with not only a new plate (as always) but new silverware and drink as well. And if it's even moderately crowded, plan on finding a new seat to continue with your meal as well, because someone else will have come and sat at your now empty table.

As I started out with, this has been one of the most frustrating changes to cruising for me, and I really wish they could come up with a way to allow single eaters to simply enjoy a whole meal at one place.

Theron

That would be annoying. You almost have to walk around with a 'Reserved' sign written in 5 languages to post over your plate just to grab a bowl of ox tail soup!

I never thought about how hard it would be for a single cruiser without a tray. Is it not hard for anybody to get their drink, silverware and food without a tray? I guess this is solved with someone sitting at a table guarding your food from staff. But near impossible for a single cruiser.

The silver tray is a good idea. But I am sure I will have a room service tray laying around. I usually order my first dessert not long after sail away to enjoy on the balcony. Any kind of diet tends to go out the window once I step foot on the ship..lol.

Thanks for all the info, it has really helped me out!

There is something even better. The Trayscalator will automatically take your plates around the room and you just take your plate off when you want an item. At the end enter your table number and the lovely waiter or waitress will bring it to you piping hot. Just kidding.

If you need help ask your waiter or waitress to help you carry your items to your table. Or just take as much as you can handle and then go back for more.

What I do is take a tour of the buffet first and mentally note what I may like to eat. I will then take a little of the items I like and go back for more if I want.

We just got off Jewel 12/22 and you can get a tray if needed. Just ask one of the waiters nearby for 1 and will get you a tray. We did this twice as we were getting a few things to bring to our cabin for my 85 year old MIL.

Two things...another use for post it notes... "please don't remove, I'll be right back." And two, I don't care what I look like in terms of carrying a tray. It's not that we are big eater's but the purpose of a tray for me is bringing back food to the hubby if he is still in bed.

We enjoyed room service for breakfast, but yes, the choices weren't always there. Why not have your room service breakfast and go down for what you were not able to enjoy.

What I do is take a tour of the buffet first and mentally note what I may like to eat. I will then take a little of the items I like and go back for more if I want.

ALWAYS have to do the windjammer recon mission before you make your selections... learned this the hard way on my first cruise... started with mashed potatoes... then added these delish looking roasted potatoes... then saw someone walking with the yummiest looking baked potato.... yup, had them all on my plate by the time I sat down!!

Should have thrown on some fries too and made it a super-carb-tastic dinner

Theron

Another solo traveller chimes in here who has experienced the very same thing as the above poster in the Windjammer. It's very frustrating to get to your selected seat with a full plate only to realize that you have inadvertently forgotten something or simply don't have enough hands to carry everything and go to retrieve whatever is missing. I have even left my sweater, jacket or wrap on the back of the chair while I head back to the buffet only to find when I return to my table that my fully loaded and untouched plate had disappeared by the ever so efficient waitstaff. While it can be humourous, even amusing, when it happens once but anything more than once borders on being extremely annoying.

ALWAYS have to do the windjammer recon mission before you make your selections... learned this the hard way on my first cruise... started with mashed potatoes... then added these delish looking roasted potatoes... then saw someone walking with the yummiest looking baked potato.... yup, had them all on my plate by the time I sat down!!

That is a good lesson. Neither one of us are big eaters, though the hubby can push it...LOL But that's why I like to go see what is there. I have sometimes gotten a plate only to realize there was more that I would like to try but knew that I couldn't eat all of it.

So I tried to mix it up for my taste buds. I mean, we ate a lot on our cruise, but I still hate to throw away food for no good reason. I think taking a tour is a great idea.

Then you don't have a plate full of scrambled eggs when you spot the bagels and locks or the like.

Since our steward would fill our soft cooler with ice, we really enjoyed our left overs.

Call us crass, it was nice to have. :D

Theron

I have not cruised alone, but I often go to the WJ solo, as DH usually skips lunch. I always leave my book on the table, and my carrybag on the chair, as I return to the buffet. Never had to "start over", and my belongings have never been removed.

Teddie

I often cruise alone and have never had trouble in the buffet. Then again, my meals are single plate affairs. If it can't fit on one plate, it is too much food. Dinner in the MDR is different but I've never known lunch (or breakfast) to be traditionally multi-course.

I'm even worse than you. I have to start with Ranger Cookies and Frozen Yogurt and man if I see chocolate then it goes on the first plate.

After this I hit the Pasta and meat . Then I get some Soup and Bread.

Then at the end its Salad with Cheese on it. Then its back to the dessert station I go:p:p::p. Count me in for the afternoon scones.

On a Cruise Why Not® start and end with desert?:p

Then its off to the track for some serious workout and even hit the gym and pool.

I have not cruised alone, but I often go to the WJ solo, as DH usually skips lunch. I always leave my book on the table, and my carrybag on the chair, as I return to the buffet. Never had to "start over", and my belongings have never been removed.

Teddie

I guess that would work if I took a book to lunch, but since I'm a guy, and I won't have a carrybag for a book or anything else, that means the book would reduce the amount of other stuff I could carry in the first place! :)

Theron

We just got off Jewel 12/22 and you can get a tray if needed. Just ask one of the waiters nearby for 1 and will get you a tray. We did this twice as we were getting a few things to bring to our cabin for my 85 year old MIL.

We were on the Jewel the cruise afterwards! And - yes - for the first time on RCI I saw trays. They were at the greeter's stand near the entrance. You can also get a tray from the Seaview Cafe if it is open.

I often cruise alone and have never had trouble in the buffet. Then again, my meals are single plate affairs. If it can't fit on one plate, it is too much food. Dinner in the MDR is different but I've never known lunch (or breakfast) to be traditionally multi-course.

Thanks but your post was not helpful in any way whatsoever. Just because you choose to eat only what might fit on one plate has no relevance to anyone else on the ship, and your choice certainly does nothing to fix the very real problem that I and several others have experienced.

And while perhaps lunch does not always entail multiple courses, I like cookies and milk for dessert... and I really don't like milk that has sat on the table for 20 minutes getting warm... which means that I do tend to get up and go get milk at the end of the main meal, so it will be cold.

Theron

Absolutely!!!

Fortunately, for most ships, this is fairly easy to do. Just go in the Windjammer door on the one side, walk all the way in, around the back and almost out to the other door, observing the food selections all along the way. Then pick up your plate and utensils at the other entrance, and work your way back, taking the items you want. You can also scout seats that way too! :)

Theron

Archived