Cruising With No Excrusions...Anyone Else Ever Did This??

Big Jay

maybe its just me! but if I wanted to stay in one place I'd do a land based vaca and hold up in a resort all week. granted to some point you float by a different view occasionally, I think the whole point of cruising is the nomadic way it gives you to see and experience different cultures and countries. The day I think there is nothing more or to experience on the many caribbean islands is the day I stop cruising those ports.

there are some islands that I can see limiting my visit, but entire cruise of that why book a cruise??

To get away. From everything and everyone. Just to relax and enjoy the quiet time.

We did it twice and loved every minute of it.

I'm Cruising The Miracle Next Week, And I Just Plan To Stay On Ship!! No Excursions!! I've Been To These Ports Numerous Times, Been There Done That!!

Got A Great Last Minute Deal, That I Just COULN"T Pass Up!!:eek:

Have Any Of You Cruise, And Just Stayed On The Ship??

If So, How Was HI----WELL--AFTER 55 CRUISES WITH CARNIVAL---WE HAVE SCENE AND DONE EVERYTHING----SO WE JUST GET OFF THE SHIP--SOMETIMES--AND STROLL ABOUT----WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT----IRENE AND JOHN-------AND--THERE WERE MANY TIMES WE JUST STAYED ON THE SHIP-----BY THE POOL OR READ---

We have never not gotten off the ship. But there have been times we got off just to explore the port area and not done any excursion. After about an hour or two, got right back on the ship and like others said, enjoy the pool and hot tub, with a lot of times just us. It's like a ghost ship, not the movie version :eek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

with those ports....yup I would stay on the ship

Port Canaveral

Freeport

Nassau

well maybe shop on bay street in Nassau or Freeport....but back on the ship in a few hours tops

We did that in Nassau...was an awesome day...empty ship....hanging out chatting with other guests/waiters

I'm Cruising The Miracle Next Week, And I Just Plan To Stay On Ship!! No Excursions!! I've Been To These Ports Numerous Times, Been There Done That!!

If So, How Was It??

YES! Sea days are my favorite - port sea days even more so. Have fun!

Usually-but don't hold me to it-

The Spas offer a discount on port days

The ship shows a movie around 2 on a big screen in one of the theatres

The pools are empty-well more so than normal

You can find a quiet place to read and relax

And there are less kids......:rolleyes:

Nope, I would get bored being on the ship every day. I get bored enough on back to back sea days. I definitely cruise for the ports. I might stay on the ship for ONE port if I had been there a lot of times and it was a tender port such that it was a big hassle to just get out and walk around. But, I would be more likely to go ashore for a couple of hours and walk around near the port. Go into a couple of shops and maybe have a couple of drinks- if they are cheaper than the ship.

I've done it many times. I love, love, love having the ship all to myself. :D

Us too.........we don't have any problem making the ship our destination!! :D

Sometimes we just like NOT having to keep a schedule - so we do not commit to anything before we leave and just do what we want...when we want. We have always enjoyed it!

If So, How Was It??

2010 on the Glory we did not book any excursions but we did get off the ship.

Personally - not my style to stay on ship... nothing negative to those that do... but...

We have taken an excursion at each port we have visited - some are nothing more than "the Best of ..." each one has resulted in an appreciation of the area, people and cultures and some have been experiences that could not be matched - some better than others.

Highlights include: We swam with dolphins in Mexico; visited ancient ruins in several countries - Mexico, Greece, Turkey, Italy; visited historical sites including Spanish forts, medieval castles, the walled cities of Rhodes and Medina; visited many churches and Cathedrals; ridden a zip line in the rainforest of Costa Rica; rode horses in the Caribbean; dipped our feet in the Aegean; eaten many a local meal; shopped for more than just simple souvenirs - jewelry, hand made table cloths, leather goods, etc.; stood near the place where St Paul preached the Word to over 40,000 people in Ephesus; watched an airplane land at Maho Beach St Martin - could almost touch it as it flew overhead; tasted (and bought) the very best rum I have ever had; watched them process bananas in Costa Rica; traversed the Panama Canal in a small boat; I have tasted over 2 dozen locally brewed beers - from Alaska to Panama to Turkey; snorkeled in Bonaire; rode the narrow gauge train from Skagway to White Pass, Canada; watched a grizzly bear catch his lunch in Haines, Alaska; and OMG the whales and seals in Juneau and Seward!; we have even learned small bits of the local languages - mostly how to say "thank you".

Lots of experiences that would have been missed if we had stayed on the ship.

Again - I want to stress that I am not faulting anyone who likes staying on... I, personally, take the cruise FOR the port experiences. There is a spa down the street that I COULD go to, I can sit and read in my easy chair in my den, I can turn off the TV and get quiet and solitude, I could dress up to go to dinner - even find a place to go dance and see a theater performance ... things I can do without packing.

But that is just me.

If I may make another suggestion, have you tried a trans-Atlantic or re-positioning cruise. Some of the repositioning cruises are reasonably priced and provide several sea days in a row with few port stops. Cunard specializes in elegant trans-Atlantic crossings reminiscent of the glory days of cruising.

Personally - not my style to stay on ship... nothing negative to those that do... but...

We have taken an excursion at each port we have visited - some are nothing more than "the Best of ..." each one has resulted in an appreciation of the area, people and cultures and some have been experiences that could not be matched - some better than others.

Highlights include: We swam with dolphins in Mexico; visited ancient ruins in several countries - Mexico, Greece, Turkey, Italy; visited historical sites including Spanish forts, medieval castles, the walled cities of Rhodes and Medina; visited many churches and Cathedrals; ridden a zip line in the rainforest of Costa Rica; rode horses in the Caribbean; dipped our feet in the Aegean; eaten many a local meal; shopped for more than just simple souvenirs - jewelry, hand made table cloths, leather goods, etc.; stood near the place where St Paul preached the Word to over 40,000 people in Ephesus; watched an airplane land at Maho Beach St Martin - could almost touch it as it flew overhead; tasted (and bought) the very best rum I have ever had; watched them process bananas in Costa Rica; traversed the Panama Canal in a small boat; I have tasted over 2 dozen locally brewed beers - from Alaska to Panama to Turkey; snorkeled in Bonaire; rode the narrow gauge train from Skagway to White Pass, Canada; watched a grizzly bear catch his lunch in Haines, Alaska; and OMG the whales and seals in Juneau and Seward!; we have even learned small bits of the local languages - mostly how to say "thank you".

Lots of experiences that would have been missed if we had stayed on the ship.

Again - I want to stress that I am not faulting anyone who likes staying on... I, personally, take the cruise FOR the port experiences. There is a spa down the street that I COULD go to, I can sit and read in my easy chair in my den, I can turn off the TV and get quiet and solitude, I could dress up to go to dinner - even find a place to go dance and see a theater performance ... things I can do without packing.

But that is just me.

There Is A First Time For Everything!!!:)

I Did The Ruins Before, Swam With The Stingrays, Saw Whales, Otters, Bears, And Eagles, In Alaska!! Never Been To Europe Or Middle East, And Have No Desire To Do So!! Variety Is The Spice O Life!! What Might Work Well With You, Might Not Work Well With Me, And Vice Versa!!!:D

maybe its just me! but if I wanted to stay in one place I'd do a land based vaca and hold up in a resort all week. granted to some point you float by a different view occasionally, I think the whole point of cruising is the nomadic way it gives you to see and experience different cultures and countries. The day I think there is nothing more or to experience on the many caribbean islands is the day I stop cruising those ports.

there are some islands that I can see limiting my visit, but entire cruise of that why book a cruise??

I look at cruising much differently. The time in each port is way to short to experience much. If I want to discover a culture I book a land vacation and stay somewhere for at least 3 or 4 days. Driving around an island on a bus that caters to tourists and stopping only at monuments or historic features just isn't much fun for me. I want to rent a car and drive on my own...stopping at hole in the wall restaurants and discovering non-touristry beaches and spending a day at a local farmer's market. I've even ventured into schools and gone to church services. Can't do that with 6 hours off of a cruise ship. Or I want to play 18 holes of golf, or go out deep sea fishing, or spend the night out on the ocean in a local sail boat.

Cruising is for getting away and relaxing...definitely not for seeing the world.

I don't think I could do it. I thought three sea days (especially two together) on my last trip were way too much. I am a go, go, go person and having two full days at sea before getting anywhere left me bored out of my mind. I also thought about if I was on a land vacation and I don't even think at a resort I could tolerate being stuck there for a week.

I am so glad with the Med 9 day cruise there's only one sea day and frankly, I'm not even sure I need it. lol

while we were on our cruise on the dream for nye we didnt get off the ship in nassau. we just been there too many times but did get off in st martin and st thomas went to the beach at both places but we did it on our own cheaper than booking it throught the cruise. our next cruise in march on monarch rccl last cruise on monarch it being sold and we are headed for bahamas again but prob want get off til we get to there private island

This is exactly what I plan on doing for our upcoming cruise in February. I just want to relax and enjoy the sunshine and avoid the cold. Booked this trip last minute just to relax, and have been to these ports a few times before.

My Mom used to stay on the ship (she loved talking to everyone) and my Dad would go on the excursions.

It's hard to imagine taking a cruise and just staying on the ship. Half the reason is the adventure and, unless it is your first or second cruise, there isn't much adventure to staying on the ship.

That said, I rarely pre-book organized (and often contrived) "excursions". I'm much more a do-it-yourselfer. Plus, depending where you're going, you're more likely to see something culturally or historically significant by doing research and making your own on-shore plans than booking something created solely for tourists.

During two European cruises in 2010 and 2011, I think we only took one organized "excursion" and that was simply a matter of logistics of that particular Turkish port. Otherwise we make our own plans and find our own travel.

Relax on the ship; adventure in port!

Archived