Happy Hour

In Toronto

A couple of questions:

On the Happy Hour - buy one, get second for $1. What are usually the 'selected' drinks? Wine? Lemon Martini? Liqueurs? etc.

Does HAL still serve warm and cold appetizers in the Crow's Nest around 5 p.m.? We so enjoyed watching the ocean, relaxing with a 2 for 1 drink and munching on served appetizers.

Haven't seen the cold crudites on HAL ships in years.

On all the cruises we have been on recently the Happy Hour has been from 4 - 5 -- drinks costing up to $6.95 (that may have changed recently as drink prices have gone up) -- but not including premium alcohol. No appetizers were served during this time.

On some ships when we went for a drink at 5 PM we had to ask for the hot appetizers.

We gave up the Happy Hour time as it was too early for us. And a few times we had to wait and wait to get someone to take our order and then we had to wait and wait for the drinks to be served. (Cut backs in staff.)

We were on the Amsterdam last month and happy hour was 4-5pm, and alot of the time there was another one at either 7, 8 or 9pm for the first segment. The second segment it was 4-5pm only. No appetisers, we got goldfish for a while then peanuts. Twice toward the end we got roasted mixed nuts but never any hot appetizers.

Drinks were around $6.95 and the Crows Nest did allow premium alcohol in happy hour as well, as we sat with a couple who asked and then ordered the top brand whiskey whatever that was. I didn't think that was usually allowed either, so it just pays to ask!

The only time it was super busy and we had to wait was when bingo was not held in the Crows Nest the same time as happy hour, which was only about twice in 31 days. When we didn't want to hear the noise of the bingo we opted for the Ocean Bar.

Thanks for info. Too bad that it seems appetizers are not a sure thing anymore. One of the HAL perks I enjoyed.

Were glasses of wine included?

Cold appetizers no but both the Crows Nest and Ocean Bar have hot appetizers in the evening - every evening.

We were on 4 different ships this last year and they all had them.

We drink Crown and it was included in the happy hour in the Ocean bar also.on the Zandaam for their New Years cruise. However appetizers didn't come out until 5 both hot and cold ones. Alwaysa just ask they are very accomadating.:)

We drink Crown and it was included in the happy hour in the Ocean bar also.on the Zandaam for their New Years cruise. However appetizers didn't come out until 5 both hot and cold ones. Alwaysa just ask they are very accomadating.:)

When you say "cold" ones -- do you mean the little breads with cream cheese, etc?

Those are not what we got years ago. Back then we got crudites.

We were on the Noordam in Dec. Appitizers were hit and miss. Some bars had them some did not. Mostly goldfish. Sometimes we got premium drinks without a charge, sometimes not. No consistancy on the ships or even on a single ship! :eek:

On Nieuw Amsterdam a few weeks ago (over New Year's) and there were hot appetizers every night in the Ocean Bar during the happy hour. Very nice all around!

I think we got them in the Crow's Nest too but I can't recall 100%.

Rob

On all the cruises we have been on recently the Happy Hour has been from 4 - 5 -- drinks costing up to $6.95 (that may have changed recently as drink prices have gone up) -- but not including premium alcohol. No appetizers were served during this time.

On some ships when we went for a drink at 5 PM we had to ask for the hot appetizers.

We gave up the Happy Hour time as it was too early for us. And a few times we had to wait and wait to get someone to take our order and then we had to wait and wait for the drinks to be served. (Cut backs in staff.)

That is why I sit at the bar.

That is why I sit at the bar.

solocanadian, thank u for the 'hint'! :) As a solo cruiser, from now on, I too will sit at the bar during 'Happy Hour' for faster service as I'm not much good at waiting! ;)

sometimes I think the length of the cruise was in relation to Happy Hour being offered.

We were on a 6 day Pacific Coastal and no Happy Hours were offered for the entire cruise, at least none that we saw advertised or inquired about.

Our other HAL cruises offered Happy Hour though

Always got hot appetizers and a glass of nuts on the NA Crow's nest in Oct.

Beer,wine,drink of the day,margaritas, cosmos,martinis, that's what I remember. Not a big premium liquor girl.

2-1 was 430-530 Crow's Nest and 530-630 Ocean Bar. Best deal on the ship.

Archived