Is there enough to see just walking off ship?

browniegirl

Hi all. We have been to Roatan twice - did Tabyana Beach once and Maya key the last time, enjoyed both. This time - we heard they have developed the area in the port area with more shops, things to see a bit more and are thinking of skipping excursions here this time. Has anyone been there recently that can comment on this area? Thanks!!!!

Leah

Hi all. We have been to Roatan twice - did Tabyana Beach once and Maya key the last time, enjoyed both. This time - we heard they have developed the area in the port area with more shops, things to see a bit more and are thinking of skipping excursions here this time. Has anyone been there recently that can comment on this area? Thanks!!!!

Leah

Which port are you at on which ship. If mahogony bay it is a great day to spend for no money shops and beach and food and if you have been out before you can probably be happy there

We are docked apparently right at the cruise ship port and on the NCL Dawn. We ziplined in Belize last time and had a TOTAL blast......wondering if that might be fun in roatan, although we have excursions booked for all the other ports we are at and maybe this would be a good port to just "take it easy island style.........".........Just not sure yet......lol..........

Leah

Roatan now has 2 cruise ship ports.

Mahogany Bay is owned by Carnival Corp and all of their ships (Carnival, HAL, Princess) dock there. It has a private man-made beach, shops etc.

Coxen Hole is the other port. Dock is right in the town of Coxen Hole. Not really an area I would "hang out" in.

Roatan has become one our favorite places - not just as a cruise port. We have been back for 2 one week stays since visiting on a cruise stop. Beautiful island, friendly people, gorgeous water and beaches. Too nice to not get out and enjoy.

If you enjoyed zipping......you should try the new dune buggy tour they have there now. We did it in December and it was a blast !!!! Up into the mountains, down into the jungle, a bit of mud pits and even a dip at the beach. An awesome afternoon !!!!! Just a thought.

I agree with TexanCruzer. You will be docking in Coxen Hole which isn't the same as the newer development of Mahogany Bay. Right at the pier are a few shops and a couple of restaurants. There is a flea market across the street but that is about it and it isn't an area I would feel safe wandering around in. Have you done an island sight seeing tour as opposed to just the beach resorts? We did a tour with Victor Bodden's tours and had a wonderful day.

Hello TexanCruzer, I've noticed you've commented on just about all the posts I've looked at so I'm thinking you're a little bit knowledgeable. This is our first cruise and we're wanting to get info on what's best to do. We are traveling with a group of 11, with 2 of the people being older. We will be on the Carnival Liberty, stopping at Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Belize and Grand Cayman. We want exciting things for the teenagers to do, but we also would like some time to relax on the beach. We're wanting good deals of course. We have concerns also about not making it back to the ship in time. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Mahagony Bay is a "man made" port of call. You can research what it offers. If you want to see more of the island, with your group size, I'd go with a private tour guide. Many here rec Vistor Bodden. Rates aren't bad considering you will have a driver with you every minute and you can call the shots. You will have no worries re getting back to the ship on time with him. Perhaps some in your group will want to stay at M Bay while others will want to see more of the island or do more acitvities. Head to Bodden's webpage and you'll get ideas of what is available on the island.

You will save money 99% of the time if you book activities NOT thru the ship. And you will get a much more personalized day.

BTW, as far as Grand Cayman, you will find tons of people offering tours, rides etc at the port for half what the ship charges. Going to "Hell" and the sting ray park, as well as time on 7 mile beach is a fun day.

Hit all the ports of call here on cruise critic, read, read and plan your activities.

Hello TexanCruzer, I've noticed you've commented on just about all the posts I've looked at so I'm thinking you're a little bit knowledgeable. This is our first cruise and we're wanting to get info on what's best to do. We are traveling with a group of 11, with 2 of the people being older. We will be on the Carnival Liberty, stopping at Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Belize and Grand Cayman. We want exciting things for the teenagers to do, but we also would like some time to relax on the beach. We're wanting good deals of course. We have concerns also about not making it back to the ship in time. Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I guess I am a LITTLE BIT knowledgable ;) but by no means an expert on Roatan. We have gone back twice for one week stays after visiting on a cruise in 2011.

I agree with eandj - Victor Bodden is the way to go if you want to do a tour. We used him in July while on our first one week stay. You can customize you day ANY WAY YOU WANT. You do not need to worry about getting back - they will make sure you do. Good tour companies don't succeed by getting people back late :eek:

Now, for what there is to do. For the younger set : zip lining, snorkeling at the beach and there is Gumbalimba park is pretty cool with parrots you can put on your shoulder and monkeys to play with. Also a pool, beach, zip and more. check it out here. Cost would be extra to the tour.

http://www.gumbalimbapark.com/index.html

Your best bet is to keep reading. Researching to many of us is half the fun of a cruise......its addicting :D Whatever you do, get out and see Roatan - it is truly a beautiful island. It is developing quickly too so who knows how long until a lot of it looks like Grand Cayman :rolleyes:

Leah

You will be in Coxen Hole. Not a place to hang out. We walked into the 'village' and took a local bus to West End after stopping at a local bank to get change currency. My DH was really not comfortable and noticed that there were way too many people carrying guns. From West End we walked the shore to West Bay Beach and took a shared taxi back. Next trip we are taking a cab directly from the port to the beach. This is about the only port I've been to that we didn't really enjoy our local bus trip.

I just got off the Norwegian Dawn and visited Roatan 1 week ago. We docked in Coxen Hole. It is the worst place I have ever visited in the Caribbean. There are guys who stand outside the port gates and haggle you about doing a tour, taking a ride, getting a taxi, etc... They do not go away till you are rude and basically tell them to get the F*@% away. Once your on the streets, there is garbage and sewage everywhere. The small streams and creeks that run throughout the town are strewn with garbage and smell of sewage. The are multiple places that have armed guards (non-military). These "guards" look more like thugs than employees.

There is nearly no place to eat, no running water (or bathrooms) and there are stray dogs everywhere (although they are friendly)!

We walked the main street twice and stopped at 2 different local bars... The Two Doves and Fosies, had a beer at each place and walked out.

I will NEVER go on a cruise that stops here every again! My suggestion... TAKE A CRUISELINE SPONSORED EXCURSION!

I just got off the Norwegian Dawn and visited Roatan 1 week ago. We docked in Coxen Hole. It is the worst place I have ever visited in the Caribbean. There are guys who stand outside the port gates and haggle you about doing a tour, taking a ride, getting a taxi, etc... They do not go away till you are rude and basically tell them to get the F*@% away. Once your on the streets, there is garbage and sewage everywhere. The small streams and creeks that run throughout the town are strewn with garbage and smell of sewage. The are multiple places that have armed guards (non-military). These "guards" look more like thugs than employees.

There is nearly no place to eat, no running water (or bathrooms) and there are stray dogs everywhere (although they are friendly)!

We walked the main street twice and stopped at 2 different local bars... The Two Doves and Fosies, had a beer at each place and walked out.

I will NEVER go on a cruise that stops here every again! My suggestion... TAKE A CRUISELINE SPONSORED EXCURSION!

1st: Obviously you haven't been to Belize City: IT is truly the worst port in the Caribbean....... get out of the city and Belize is gorgeous tho.

2nd: IF you had perhaps done a bit of research PRIOR to your cruise, you would have found that it is almost ALWAYS suggested that you NOT stay in Coxen Hole. There are way too many absolutely drop dead gorgeous areas to this island to stay in the main city. The people are friendly (of course you are going to get hassled right outside the gate) but you have to remember that you are in a very poor 3rd world country. You are the rich tourist getting off a huge cruise ship with money in your pocket.

Again, before you do your next cruise (or land trip even) do a bit of research and find out the "do's and don'ts" That way you will have the experience you are looking for.

I, for one, do not want a Disneyland experience when I travel. This is how the people live there. Not all places have it as good as we do.

OH, and don't ever go to Egypt is this bothered you ! They have even less than Hondurans. But it was one trip that I will compare all others to - it was spectacular.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, this is GREAT info.....my sister in law mentioned they got off their ship and just wandered the port and it was great, but I now realize from reading here, they were on HAL and would have been at Mahogany Bay and we are on NCL and will be at Coxen Hole.....makes sense now!

Anyone know how far the two are apart or how much a cab would be? Would it be wise to get a cab to Mahogany Bay or just stay on the ship.....we have done Tabyana Beach here and Maya Key here, loved them both but wanted to change it this time. We are doing excursions in all of our other ports......lol.......thought we'd get off cheaper this one.....lol.........maybe not!

Leah

I agree with most of this. It was pretty bad. I think it was much worse than Belize city for walking around. Of course, this is just my opinion. We are stopping in Roatan again (so this is the part I don't agree with) but this time at Mahogany Bay and will likely just take a taxi to West Bay Beach.

The 'guards' , armed of course, and some of them heavily, are what made us more uncomfortable than Belize.

I agree with most of this. It was pretty bad. I think it was much worse than Belize city for walking around. Of course, this is just my opinion. We are stopping in Roatan again (so this is the part I don't agree with) but this time at Mahogany Bay and will likely just take a taxi to West Bay Beach.

The 'guards' , armed of course, and some of them heavily, are what made us more uncomfortable than Belize.

Thank you, this is such great advice, we really appreciate it! I am glad I checked on here because if I had assumed my sister in laws ship docked at the same place, we would have been in for a bit of a nasty surprise!!! I would have been shocked at what she called a "cute" little shopping area and beach!!! We will more than likely hire a driver or be super brave and rent scooters....lol........or just pay for a day pass at a nice hotel.

At West Bay Beach - is there somewhere nice you can use a bathroom, facilities, etc,?

Leah

My suggestion... TAKE A CRUISELINE SPONSORED EXCURSION!

Cruiselines and good economies build "resort-like" pier areas at some ports. Travel more of the Carib and you will get used to poverty and the ugliness that some piers offer. Coxen Hole is a working city/public port. It's how the residents live. It's Central America, not Fort Lauderdale. If you cruise looking only for places that have that " made- for- tourists picturebook look" as you disembark, you surely are limiting yourself and will never see some of the most beautiful places in the world.

As stated, do your research. AND...You don't have to do ship excursions to spend a day at a port. Think private tours, and you'll save money and get much more for your buck. ;)

What is funny is that this is the first cruise out of 7 that we have actually booked two non-cruise ship sponsored excursions.....that is a first for us!!! It was definitely worth it to us to save some money.........and the cruiseship didn't actually have the excursions we wanted this time, so we went with other companies, should be just fine!

Leah

What is funny is that this is the first cruise out of 7 that we have actually booked two non-cruise ship sponsored excursions.....that is a first for us!!! It was definitely worth it to us to save some money.........and the cruiseship didn't actually have the excursions we wanted this time, so we went with other companies, should be just fine!

Leah

All I can say is once you do private - you really won't want to go back to ship tours ;)

We also sailed on Dawn to Roatan. The port area inside a fencing was nice. There were upscale shops, the area was clean and we did not feel unsafe.

We also walked the street after being dropped off from our tour. Did not see anything as described in previous posts. We did a great private tour of the island. It is much cleaner than so many others. We had a great lunch at a waterfront restaurant. We are going back again this year.

I guess everyone has different experiences.:confused:

Actually just got confirmation from MSC that we are docking at Coxen Hole. Very disappointed. Now I need to arrange to get to Mahogany Bay - thought we were just walking off the ship there to enjoy a brainless, cheap day.

Hmmm....as far as I know.....The "public" is not welcome at Mahagony Bay when their cruise ships are there. Carnival cruisers only. Someone will correct me if I am wrong re public admittance to that beach and facilities.

Head to West Bay which is closer to Coxen Hole.

We were told the same thing by our tour guide while we were there on a land visit.

Then someone else on here said anyone could go ......

So ????

It doesn't really apply to me anyway since probably the last place I want to go on Roatan is Mahogany Bay ;)

Archived