Reports on tours in the South Pacific

Caroldoll

I forget which month it was that Oceania was going to the South Pacific this year, that is New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, etc. I would appreciate hearing any reports on this cruise--the tours--and incidentally the weather. We are thinking about this itinerary for next year, but tours seem to be the problem. As far as Tahiti is concerned, we have been there several times, so my concern is more of the remote places. I noted that Oceania said the transportation was not necessarily airconditioned which would be a big problem for us.

Please, any reports will be appreciated.

... my concern is more of the remote places... transportation was not necessarily airconditioned ... big problem.

I apologize if this seems a bit presumptuous but, although I haven't been on any Oceania cruises in that region, I have lived in and traveled the Pacific islands for the past 40 years. It would seem to me that if air conditioned transportation is an issue then ground tours of "remote places" in the South Pacific are probably not your best vacation choice.

Go in July/August, it's the coolest months for the more southern islands like Tonga, the Cooks and the Society Islands (Tahiti). Those along the equator have the same temperature year round. I have used local transportation (trucks, public busses) and rental cars when available, don't remember any air conditioning except in the more upscale hotels. There were cool days whenever we had a southernly breeze right from the South Pole.

OT: Ka Honu, I am jealous!

OP...

you will want to google...bora bora le truck.

these are open air older school busses.

this is the transportation for the circle island shorex in Bora Bora and Moorea, Raiatea and other island and public transportation when they feel like running it.

Honest to goodness Taxi cabs are rare and usually don't have A/C...

you just roll down the window and carry a wet wash cloth in a zip lock bag

to rub over your body.

OR check out Polar Breeze Bandanas cooling wraps (google is your friend)

Air Conditioning is not common in public/private transportation AND they might say they have it, but don't count on it working.

accustomed to it, but he is not. It is a dream itinerary, and I hate to cancel. We will see what he comes up with in Europe. We have done Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc. many times. I have my sights set on the others like Fiji, Samoa, etc.

Caroldoll, may I ask a favor?

Unless you mean for the first sentence of your Post's to be "a title", would you please type your entire response into the larger textbox?

132231.jpg A silly thing to worry about, I agree, but I find it SO distracting.

Thanks in advance-

Caroldoll The cruise is not till February. We sail on February 7th to the islands you are asking about so you will probably not get your question answered by this group until very late February or late March depending on which cruise cruise critic members are doing. We don't get home again until March 17th, and then have company arriving within two days, so I probably will not post anything until life returns to some sort of normality.:eek:

I will be typing everything in the big box!

I am booked for next year in February/March, but I feel discouraged. I was hoping to hear from passengers experience this year.

At any rate, Mr. Del Rio indicated that there would be some exciting new cruises in some places where we have a keen interest, so I just have to calm down and wait and hope the days fall right.

On Crystal I am accustomed to being able to place a $200 deposit just to hold a particular suite in an area or time frame--i.e. Christmas. This is even though they don't post prices. That way I know I can get the cabin of choice when it is released.

I will just have to change my ways since Oceania seems to not only have beautiful suites, but all reports are good. We have only done Oceania once, Regatta, and if that darn shower wasn't over the high bathtub, it would work. Also prefer a much larger suite with two bathrooms.

I will be typing everything in the big box!

I am booked for next year in February/March, but I feel discouraged. I was hoping to hear from passengers experience this year.

We are on the Feb 7th sailing in a few weeks that is PPT to AUK.

We go to all the ports you were curious about.

The cruise doesnt end until Feb 26th.

We don't arrive home under March 15th.

The majority of the other passengers on our cruise are actually staying onboard to Sydney making their return date even farther out.

We depart in Auckland.

I refuse to pay the high internet rates to participate on a message board

I can answer your questions after March 20th or so.

You aren't leaving for over a year..so I'm sure that you will have plenty of time to make adjustments to your plans based on the answers you receive.

Hi - Here's the memorable ones in the "region." We did Oceania last year - Papeete to Auckland.

Moorea - DON'T take the dolphin tour no matter what you do. Dr. Whatever-His-Name-Is is a pretentious tool.

Bora Bora - Don't book the boat tour - go with Patrick and do some snorkeling, sting rays, and then go to his private beach area.

Raitea - Most definitely do L'Excursion Bleue with Bruno. The snorkeling in the coral garden was the best I've ever seen in my life.

American Samoa - Tisa's Barefoot Bar for sure. Hold your nose when you go past the Charlie the Tuna factory. I've never smelled anything worse.

Hope this helps,

Jill

Archived