Water Drinker

The only water I drink is the stuff turned into ice that my rum sits over. My wife and dd drink water and they get it from the same spot they always have, and often the same spot most bottle water gets theirs...the nearest tap.

Does anyone else still pack a case of water in their checked luggage? We have always done this because I love water and drink 6 to 8 bottles a day.

Just wondering. Too heavy to bring on in our carryon.

Out of courtesy for those handling your bags, I sure hope not! It's not that difficult to put 12 bottles per person in a rolling bag and roll it on to the ship and place it next to your chair until your cabin is available. If you think it's too heavy to bring in your carryon, why would you even assume it's light enough for someone handling hundreds of bags to carry on for you?

The only water I drink is the stuff turned into ice that my rum sits over. My wife and dd drink water and they get it from the same spot they always have, and often the same spot most bottle water gets theirs...the nearest tap.

LOVE it! One thing I saw that you may beware of - people CONSTANTLY refilling their water bottles with the "tap" water at the beverage stations. Gross.

My dad thought the melted ice tasted better than the tap water on the ship, so you may be on to something with your rum water! :)

I'm bringing my Bobble as well. I don't want to carry on a bunch of water and this way I can drink as much as I want. If I need more than one bottle in port, I'll buy a bottle of water there.

Ditto, ditto. We bring our filtering bottles and fill at the taps. Since we fly, it is not feasible to pack a case of water in any of our luggage.

i am always a little perplexed when i real about people having apoplexy when someone fills a personal container at the drink machine. most machines i am familiar with have some kind of control mechanism and the container never touches the nozzle, so what would be the difference of someone refilling their personal container or the ship's glass they just finished drinking from.

per the original post, i always thought that the cruise lines request that any beverages go through carry on and not in checked baggage since they need to be inspected and counted. personally i would be pretty pissed if someone else's packed beverages leaked all over my suitcase, be it water or rumrunners or especially soda. but then i am sure those doing the packing don't think beyond themselves...not about a baggage handlers back or about another paxs personal belongings.

I carry it on. It weighs down your carry on quite a bit though. This time we'll be going out of San Juan so I'll have several chances to go back and get water off the ship. ;)

I hear the tap water is just fine but my stomach is very sensitive to some tap water so I just buy bottled. I drink half my weight in ounces every day. I'll drink even more on the ship though since salt/water retention is an issue.:cool:

Does anyone else still pack a case of water in their checked luggage? We have always done this because I love water and drink 6 to 8 bottles a day.

Just wondering. Too heavy to bring on in our carryon.

Not when the stuff they have on the Lido deck that is better than any municipal water that they bottle.

Same exact place hubby and I get ours :p

all extra pop/ water/wine must be carried on!

LOVE it! One thing I saw that you may beware of - people CONSTANTLY refilling their water bottles with the "tap" water at the beverage stations. Gross.

What's gross about re-filling your water bottle? My bottle isn't touching anything on the water dispenser that would pass my "icky" germs to you. Also, I'm not wasting my money on water that likely came from a less desirable source than the cruise ship water and I'm not adding to the pollution of the planet with a case or two of plastic bottles. That's what's GROSS to me.

What's gross about re-filling your water bottle? My bottle isn't touching anything on the water dispenser that would pass my "icky" germs to you. Also, I'm not wasting my money on water that likely came from a less desirable source than the cruise ship water and I'm not adding to the pollution of the planet with a case or two of plastic bottles. That's what's GROSS to me.

Um, there is back flush if you reuse a bottle that has touched your lips, regardless if it doesn't touch the spigot.

And yes, GROSS.

The same thing that's icky about someone putting their mouth on a water fountain that other people will drink from. When the bottle is held away from the spout, it's not as "icky", but when they insert the nozzle inside their bottle and refill from what they just put their mouths all over, it's gross. What if everyone did it? Ever wonder how stuff like norovirus runs rampant on a ship? This may be a piece of that puzzle.

There are signs ON the water dispensers asking not to refill personal water bottles for that reason. I expect people to respect other pax with this sanitation measure just as much as I expect the parents of children in diapers to keep their kids out of the pool. Do you not find that icky either?

Um, there is back flush if you reuse a bottle that has touched your lips, regardless if it doesn't touch the spigot.

And yes, GROSS.

again, if someone is refilling a drinking glass that they have just used the exact same thing happens if someone allows the spigot to touch the liquid in a refilled glass. either way, it is more about the filler than the receptacle.

I bought water bottles with filters (Bobble brand). We plan to take one empty bottle per person on board and fill them as necessary. The filter really does make the water taste great and it's a lot easier than bringing a bunch of heavy bottles of water with us.

We did this at Disney back in 2003 and it was AWESOME! Get ice water, filter it through, drink, and dump what's left. No extra weight to carry around and good tasting water all week! Somehow, I forgot about this concept... Now where did I put those bottles?

again, if someone is refilling a drinking glass that they have just used the exact same thing happens if someone allows the spigot to touch the liquid in a refilled glass. either way, it is more about the filler than the receptacle.

Yup. This is why refilling anything used is contaminatus non interuptus.

And yes, GROSS.

I don't know about others but I take my lid off my REUSABLE water bottle so nothing that has touched my mouth touches the machine. I know I've seen some people refilling regular plastic bottles like the bottled water from the cabin, however every time I've seen that they have never touched the spigot. And even if they do it's no different then the 900,000 germified things that your hands touch on a ship.

I'm a fairly a classified "germaphobe" but I have worked in a popular restaurant type place not much different from a cafeteria and I can tell you unless you don't touch anything you're touching EVERYTHING.

People should not be refilling a used glass either. To be safe, a new glass should be used at a buffet rather than refill a used glass. At least thats what the buffets in my area request.

Archived