Bringing wine onboard

lucrob

Royal Carribean just announced it will allow cruisers to bring up to two bottles of wine onboard when embarking. Carnival already allows up to one bottle of wine. Celebrity allows up to 2 bottles...

Well Norwegian, when are you going to step up and compete with the marketplace?

What's your issue? Is it with bringing wine on board or with paying a corkage fee?

NCL actually allows you to bring on as much wine as you want, you just need to pay corkage. So, in one respect, NCL's policy is more liberal than the others you have named unless you are referring to corkage but your post did not mention that.

What's your issue? Is it with bringing wine on board or with paying a corkage fee?

NCL actually allows you to bring on as much wine as you want, you just need to pay corkage. So, in one respect, NCL's policy is more liberal than the others you have named unless you are referring to corkage but your post did not mention that.

We had friends sailing an almost identical itinerary on either Carnival or RCCL at the same time, and although they were bringing on 2 bottles of wine without having to pay corkage, they were VERY jealous of the case we were able to bring, and pay corkage. I'd rather be able to bring on as much as I would like (especially since we usually said from NYC, a 20 minute drive).

Royal Caribbean's wine policy states that if you want to drink the 2 bottles you can bring onboard in any public area (like the dining room), they'll charge you a $25 corkage fee. So it's really only beneficial if you want to drink your wine in your cabin.

IMO they should allow up to 2 no charge, and any further bottles charge the corkage. Other cruise lines (Carnival for example) allow one bottle no charge, but every bottle you bring onboard after that they charge a corkage fee. So, yes my issue is with paying the corkage from the first bottle.

IMO they should allow up to 2 no charge, and any further bottles charge the corkage. Other cruise lines (Carnival for example) allow one bottle no charge, but every bottle you bring onboard after that they charge a corkage fee. So, yes my issue is with paying the corkage from the first bottle.

So your issue is about $15. Compared to the overall price of even the cheapest cruise this just seems petty IMO.

I never knew you could bring wine onto any ships.

Probably because I do not drink wine.

Do we have to pre-arrange this and if so how? My sister is joining us next week for her first cruise and she loves her Pino.

Quick funny story ...

Years ago on NCL my husband was called down to the naughty room to take about a dozen nips that my kids (teenagers at the time) had hid in my luggage wrapped in my undergarments. (lovable brats) :cool:

My husband was mortified because he had to unwrap each tiny bottle while the security guards watched convinced he was a cross dresser (lol)

But he recalls the priest in line with him could not even get through with the blood of Christ. (lol)

Juried

Somehow after reading thread after thread on what passengers want this one just hasn't gotten to the top of the must change list yet! Go figure.:D

Do we have to pre-arrange this and if so how? My sister is joining us next week for her first cruise and she loves her Pino.

Quick funny story ...

Years ago on NCL my husband was called down to the naughty room to take about a dozen nips that my kids (teenagers at the time) had hid in my luggage wrapped in my undergarments. (lovable brats) :cool:

My husband was mortified because he had to unwrap each tiny bottle while the security guards watched convinced he was a cross dresser (lol)

But he recalls the priest in line with him could not even get through with the blood of Christ. (lol)

Juried

I just had to reply, your post made me laugh out loud.

That is way, way funny. You must have an amazing family.

stupid question, but if they check them in and charge you a corkage fee- do you get charged whether you use them or not?
I am guessing that the corkage fee is non-refundable, but I don't think this is a stupid question, so I'm bumping in the hopes that somebody can confirm one way or another :)

Princess lets you bring one onboard as well.

Princess wasn't enforcing their policy, at all, the two times that we cruised with them. We brought multiple bottles on board in Santorini and they were not confiscated. We also brought on a couple of bottles in Fort Lauderdale, they were not confiscated and we were not charged a corkage. I met people that brought on tons of wine. A corkage was only charged if you wanted to drink them in a public area (dining rooms, bars, etc). This was sure nice but I won't choose a cruise line because they do or do not allow you to bring wine on board but I also rarely drink so I can go without. I totally understand why most cruise lines limit and charge to bring wine on board, they rely heavily on strong bar sales to turn a profit on a sailing.

Quick funny story ...

Juried

Now that has got to be the funniest story I have heard on these boards :D

stupid question, but if they check them in and charge you a corkage fee- do you get charged whether you use them or not?

From what have read here on CC, you CAN get a refund on the last night of the cruise IF you still have the sticker on the bottles.

But I ALWAYS manage to drink ALL I bring :D

Have fun

I am so excited about NCL's wine policy - I plan on taking about 8 bottles for 11 nt TA! I would much rather pay the $15/btl and drink the wine I want than way over pay for unfamiliar bottles on their wine list.

I can buy decent (yellow label) champagne for about $45/btl - the $15 fee puts it $60 - the closest on NCL's wine list is $88/btl - that puts me way ahead of the game!

I am guessing that the corkage fee is non-refundable, but I don't think this is a stupid question, so I'm bumping in the hopes that somebody can confirm one way or another :)

Corkage fee is refundable if you present your receipt and the unopened bottle at Guest Services the morning of departure.

Very happy with NCL's policy to bring as much as I want just for paying the corkage fee.

Corkage fee is refundable if you present your receipt and the unopened bottle at Guest Services the morning of departure.

Very happy with NCL's policy to bring as much as I want just for paying the corkage fee.

Thanks for clarifying this!

~Denise

Let me ask another question regarding wine - if you bring it will they store it for you, or do you keep it in your cabin?

People have said that they were able to have the wine stored for them. Personally, I keep everything in my cabin and I can have it whenever I want.

You bring everything in your cabin,

Anyways you never know when you will feel like a special occasion is presenting itself and then "voila" your wine or champagne is right there at your disposal.

Have fun

p.s. And IF you bring wine on board that you KNOW you will not drink. You leave it to them, they give you a coupon for it and then on the last morning you pick it up on board.

On Carnival Cruise Lines, the first bottle has no corkage if it is consumed outside of the dining rooms or steakhouse. If you consume the wine in one of those venues, the servers are supposed to be charging you a corkage fee . . . but rather frequently do not (probably out of fear of those passengers becoming frustrated and adjusting their gratuities).

On Carnival, "every bottle you bring onboard after that" . . . will NOT be charged a corkage fee, because those bottles will be confiscated, labeled, and returned to you on the final evening, or morning of debarkation. You can not bring additional bottles on CCL simply by paying the corkage fee.

On Carnival Cruise Lines, the first bottle has no corkage if it is consumed outside of the dining rooms or steakhouse. If you consume the wine in one of those venues, the servers are supposed to be charging you a corkage fee . . . but rather frequently do not (probably out of fear of those passengers becoming frustrated and adjusting their gratuities).

On Carnival, "every bottle you bring onboard after that" . . . will NOT be charged a corkage fee, because those bottles will be confiscated, labeled, and returned to you on the final evening, or morning of debarkation. You can not bring additional bottles on CCL simply by paying the corkage fee.

Excuse me, cuse me, Don. Its us, Geri & Jack from flooded Splendor days. Sorry to pirate here but you HAVE to come on the Allure for 3 day Valentines with us on Feb 14. Toms coming too. Please, please come. It will be fun.

Bye for now.

Geri & Jack

smile

Archived