Visa points nightmare!

I'd call just to see if the process has changed, and see what they recommend. I've found that the redemption people are very helpful. However, they might niot be able to put an actual quote in your record until a cruise has been booked. So it might be a multi-stop process, call for info, book, call for quote, redeem.

Please post back what you learn.

Called the Rewards Dept. While on hold with them I booked the cruise and they put a note in with the value of the 50,000 free cruise reward. They said that is the way to do it. If you are just using the award for the min OV I guess there is no need to do that but since we were booking a balcony we want to get as much credit as we could. It IS the value at the time you redeem the award.

Called the Rewards Dept. While on hold with them I booked the cruise and they put a note in with the value of the 50,000 free cruise reward. They said that is the way to do it. If you are just using the award for the min OV I guess there is no need to do that but since we were booking a balcony we want to get as much credit as we could. It IS the value at the time you redeem the award.

Thanks for the feedback Ellen.

We were on the Oasis , I had a Visa card obc of $ 250.00 . The final bill came and it reflected a $ 100.00 obc ,I went to guest relations , they told me thats a TA obc take it up with your TA . I told them it was not and here is email recept from RCCL the final answer was "OH WOW" let me fix that for you and get you the proper obc of $250.00. BRING VARIFICATION WITH YOU WHATEVER IT MAY BE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by dep

Royal Rewards just called. They couldn't have been nicer. Looks like it's all cleared up. Everything is applied the way it should be. :)

~C

Thanks for reporting back. Glad it works out. Now if they would only do the same for me.:confused:

I'm not sure I follow this issue. I think where I am confused is, does the OP have three different Royal Caribbean Visa cards or is she using three different rewards programs?

3 different RCCL Bank of america cards. I have one. Dh had one but then they said the account was compromised so they sent another one right before he reached the 50K mark (47k :mad: ) I didn't follow up and they never combined the points from his first card to the 2nd one. :rolleyes:

3 different RCCL Bank of america cards. I have one. Dh had one but then they said the account was compromised so they sent another one right before he reached the 50K mark (47k :mad: ) I didn't follow up and they never combined the points from his first card to the 2nd one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation. That makes it a lot clearer. Glad it worked out for you.

Royal Rewards just called. They couldn't have been nicer. Looks like it's all cleared up. Everything is applied the way it should be. :)

~C

Glad it worked out for you!!!

Thanks for reporting back. Glad it works out. Now if they would only do the same for me.:confused:

Bob I hope you get your problem resolved as well. They gentlemen I spoke to yeaterday was very nice. It took a long time but he was very helpful. Ellen

Last cruise my redeemed Visa points were not credited on my cruise bill. After the cruise I phoned redemption and was given a credit on my credit card bill. Very nice.

Last night I goofed and redeemed 5,000 points for my cruise this Sat. 2/2, ignoring the fact that a week in advance is needed. I phoned redemption this morning and was told it's too late and my points are gone. Is that correct information? My points are lost?

Last cruise my redeemed Visa points were not credited on my cruise bill. After the cruise I phoned redemption and was given a credit on my credit card bill. Very nice.

Last night I goofed and redeemed 5,000 points for my cruise this Sat. 2/2, ignoring the fact that a week in advance is needed. I phoned redemption this morning and was told it's too late and my points are gone. Is that correct information? My points are lost?

I don't believe they can put the points back on the credit card, but they may be able to apply the points to a different cruise, if you have one booked.

I usually redeem my points for onboard credit but this time I decided to redeem $150.00 for credit against my cruise payment. I was told that because I use a TA that she has to call to approve it because it will lower her commission. That's a bummer.

When I redeem another 15,000 next month, I'll get onboard credit and take the cash before I get off the ship so she won't lose anymore commission. I love my TA.

OP here. I just checked my booking dashboard and all the $ off points have been applied. PHEW! Now I just need to keep checking on the OBC. :rolleyes:

Quick question: Since they refund the credit card will I lose the points that are currently accumulated on there?

~Connie

OP here. I just checked my booking dashboard and all the $ off points have been applied. PHEW! Now I just need to keep checking on the OBC. :rolleyes:

Quick question: Since they refund the credit card will I lose the points that are currently accumulated on there?

~Connie

Yes, the deduction will be reflected in your next statement.

• 1 year later...
Maybe they have changed their policy, but they have always explained it to me as the credit being the price of the OV at point redemption time. In fact, they encouraged me to call and get a quote for the credit put in my record so I would know what the credit would be before I committed to the redemption.

I know I am just getting back to you on this (a year and a half later) because I am not on here much but I don't think they changed their policy since I used the $125,000 points for 6 free cruises 6 years in a row. It was always based on the price I actually paid, not the price at redemption. Have you ever cashed in 125,000 points for a free cruise? I know you have had it explained to you as you say but have you ever actually done it?

I personally stopped using the Royal Caribbean Visa Card when they changed their policies. I get better bang for my buck with other cards.

I know I am just getting back to you on this (a year and a half later) because I am not on here much but I don't think they changed their policy since I used the $125,000 points for 6 free cruises 6 years in a row. It was always based on the price I actually paid, not the price at redemption. Have you ever cashed in 125,000 points for a free cruise? I know you have had it explained to you as you say but have you ever actually done it?

I personally stopped using the Royal Caribbean Visa Card when they changed their policies. I get better bang for my buck with other cards.

I've never made a 125K point redemption. The most I've redeemed at any one time is 50K points, for a free 3/4 day cruise on an OV.

Edited by clarea

I always thought it was the price at redemption as well. Then again I was not allowed to use my balcony discount when redeeming for a companion fare under the new rules and a poster posted the other day that they redeemed a companion award and WAS allowed their discount.:rolleyes:

Consistency is NOT RCL's strong suit

I cashed the 125,000 points when I booked a JS on the Freedom in April. I was given a credit equal to the lowest price of an Outside Cabin at the time of redemption. The price of Outsides rose several times before I pulled the trigger, and I got the equivalent price on the day I did. My balcony discount was removed. BTW, I was lucky: OV prices went down afterwards, but I still got credit for the higher price.

Edited by bobinfl

I've booked through an online TA. I know I can't make a payment directly to RC, but can I cash in some points to go towards payment of the trip without involving the TA?

Not sure of the answer (Bob probably knows) but if you do cash them in for money off a cruise it may affect any perks the TA is giving you as that reduces their commission. you might want to check with your TA

Edited by molly361

I've booked through an online TA. I know I can't make a payment directly to RC, but can I cash in some points to go towards payment of the trip without involving the TA?

You can cash in points for a discount by using the redeption website. However, Royal will contact the TA for approval before the applying the discount.

If you cash in points for OBC, then the TA is not involved at all.