This is How I saw Others Dressed on Elegant Night on my Last Cruise

MrPete

What Did You See the Majority Wearing on Elegant Night?  

663 members have voted

1. 1. What Did You See the Majority Wearing on Elegant Night?

• Tuxes and Gowns
    • Tuxes and Dresses
    • Suits and Dresses
    • Jacket Ties and Dresses
    • Shirt Tie and Dresses
    • Shirt and Dresses
    • Shorts Ball Caps and Daisy Dukes
    • Other

I just got back Thursday from a cruise on the Elation. I always get early seating for dinner but did notice the late seating were dressed up more. I don't care what people wear. I don't understand why people say it ruin their cruise. If you want to dress up and get picture thats find with me. If you want to wear shorts that is find also.

Other.

Most men were wearing dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie. Most women were wearing slacks and nice tops.

Saw very few suits/ties and dresses, and even fewer tuxes and gowns.

Saw a very few in jeans, shorts, etc. but it certainly didn't "ruin" my dining experience. :)

Guy.....button down blue oxcford shirt, tie, dark color trousers. However, because of recent foot problems still had to wear sneakers (not that anybody looked down at me). Interesting thing of course; nobody checked or cared. So why bother with this nonsense in the first pace? To show the world they are not Norwegian?

Thanks MrPete for starting this to help us newbies know what is the norm. I just hope those that have strong opinions on "dress appropriate" do not vote with how they wished people dressed. Or because they have seen a few that have not met their criteria, choose daisy dukes.

Other.

Most men were wearing dress slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie. Most women were wearing slacks and nice tops.

Saw very few suits/ties and dresses, and even fewer tuxes and gowns.

Saw a very few in jeans, shorts, etc. but it certainly didn't "ruin" my dining experience. :)

Same here for what I remember, but honestly did not pay that much attention. DH had on slacks & long sleeved shirt & I had slacks & blinged out top.

Most people I've seen on any ship/line I've cruised fall in the middle somewhere. Maybe a handful dressed to the hilt, but most in the suit/jacket/shirt with tie category, with the women perhaps dressed up a little fancier than the men on average. Then again, it's easy enough for us to look pretty fancy with just a change of jewelry, hairstyle, shoes and more make-up. If anyone has come in on formal nights in daisy-dukes and tank-tops, I've not seen it. I think the least dressed down I've witnessed was a plaid flannel shirt on an Alaska cruise. I noticed, but that's only because he was sitting at our table. It certainly didn't spoil my enjoyment in the least.

Funny poll... men's clothing ranges from tux to "no tie". Women's is dresses, dresses, dresses to DAISY DUKES? Lol.

Anyway, you left out one of the most common women attires... black dress pants and a fancy top.

~Denise

Mr Pete-good reason to do this poll-for the newbie! To get ideas! I will say this though, the longer the cruise I have taken (7 days) people were more dressed for dinner, than a 3 day.

Very true...... I also think the longer cruises with 3-4 sea days tend to dress up more.

Voted other, its vacation for all and I don't care what others wear to dinner, lunch or at any other time on the ship.

+1 for seeing a variety and not being bothered one way or the other.

I was looking for that choice myself. I can't believe people really care about this sort of thing....

Funny poll... men's clothing ranges from tux to "no tie". Women's is dresses, dresses, dresses to DAISY DUKES? Lol.

Anyway, you left out one of the most common women attires... black dress pants and a fancy top.

~Denise

Yes I noticed that too, because that was the one I was interested in seeing the results of. I haven't did a dress for years. Some women after a certain age (like myself) look far better in pants than a dress. One reason being of course the obvious (my legs just don't look like they did 30+ years ago), but another is because of years on our feet, we require "sensible shoes" (especially on a moving vessel) and "sensible shoes" and a dress just look silly.

~Denise

and a fancy top is little more than a black tee with some glitter.

I finally wore a floor-length gown on a cruise for elegant night; simply because: I have one I like and can wear; it was an essential component of my Halloween costume (another evening); and I was driving to port.

Flying into Paris (leaving on cruise from Barcelona) and flying home from London (arriving in port of Dover), I certainly won't be taking a long gown this time.

Black cocktail dress for elegant night(s), black skirt (which reverses to a colorful print for other evenings) - rotation of pretty tops.

I want to save luggage space for souvenirs! ;)

Archived