Time in San Juan?

This will be our first cruise. We are flying into San Juan Puerto Rico with a scheduled arrival at 1:30pm. The ship does not leave until 8:30, but with the time we need to get on the ship, get our bags delivered to the room etc, is it realistic to be able to see San Juan at all? I don't want to do anything before getting on the ship because this is all new to us and want to give time. Unfortunately we are flying out too early to do anything when we return to San Juan a week later.

This will be our first cruise. We are flying into San Juan Puerto Rico with a scheduled arrival at 1:30pm. The ship does not leave until 8:30, but with the time we need to get on the ship, get our bags delivered to the room etc, is it realistic to be able to see San Juan at all? I don't want to do anything before getting on the ship because this is all new to us and want to give time. Unfortunately we are flying out too early to do anything when we return to San Juan a week later.

Since it is your first cruise, I would suggest that you just enjoy your first day exploring the ship. :D

If you decide that you enjoy cruising there will be other opportunities to explore San Juan pre-cruise on future trips. Or you may end up booking a cruise that has SJ as a port stop. In that case the ship will dock right in old San Juan.

The drill on the Brilliance last month was held at 8PM.

###

8pm :eek: aren't most people eating at that time? I know the ship departs late but that's a strange time. But, all of the early birds will have eaten and the rest of us will be really silly from our cocktails:D:oshould be a fun muster

8pm :eek: aren't most people eating at that time? I know the ship departs late but that's a strange time. But, all of the early birds will have eaten and the rest of us will be really silly from our cocktails:D:o should be a fun muster

I hear ya! The ship left at 8:30. Having the drill that late is the worst part about leaving from San Juan -- at least for us :D

###

If the flight lands at 13:30 you should be off and picking your baggage up by 14:00, in the taxi by 14:15/ 14:20 and can get to the pier by 15:00 IF everything goes well with no delays.

It would be a tight fit to get in any decent sight seeing. You might get the taxi driver to give you a quick once around Old San Juan but my suggestion would be that you head to the ship and lounge pool side.

We've found that either flying down the day before the cruise or getting a late flight out on the day you leave gives us the opportunity to do some sight seeing.

Enjoy!

I hear ya! The ship left at 8:30. Having the drill that late is the worst part about leaving from San Juan -- at least for us :D

###

Yep...we were doing the Cupid Shuffle at muster. :D The staff member asked the station group to move to the left. A large contingent broke into song..."To the left...to the left...:D"

I concur with others. Your arrival time leaves little opportunity to deal with surprises. With travel, things often take longer than expected. There is a lot to see and do on the ship. Lots to learn.

Arriving a day before the cruise is the best way to see the town and assure flight delays are accounted for.

Enjoy your cruise.

Actually it is Day 1 of your cruise that you have paid for so get on the ship. We had to be on the adventure by 5 pm for 530 muster last feb.

I think the brilliance muster drill time was quite unusual compared to what others have been reporting on their boards.

We have been following Adventures boards as we are just a few more sundays until we are on board for two more weeks!!!

Actually it is Day 1 of your cruise that you have paid for so get on the ship. We had to be on the adventure by 5 pm for 530 muster last feb.

I think the brilliance muster drill time was quite unusual compared to what others have been reporting on their boards.

We have been following Adventures boards as we are just a few more sundays until we are on board for two more weeks!!!

We experienced the same when we sailed on the Serenade out of San Juan in 2010. Perhaps the Adventure is different?

###

It's too tight a fit, especially if you are a new cruiser, don't know San Juan, and are committing the first sin of cruising..........flying in on the same day as the departure!:rolleyes:

So, lets say your flight is delayed for 2 or 3 hours. I believe that check in ends at 6:30 PM or 2 hours before you sail. It might be later than that, but I don't think so.

Your best bet is to see the sights of San Juan another time. Enjoy the ship!

Once your plane has landed, it does take a bit to get your luggage, and then there is normally a slow ride to the pier. Once at the pier, check in should be quite fast, since most line up to come aboard around noon, even though the reservation says that check in starts at 1 PM.

If your plane is on time.........my gut tells me that you would be aboard around 3 to 3:30. Get your carry on to the room, and you could be back off by 4:30 PM.

Once outside, it's about a 20 t0 25 minute ride to Old Town San Juan, placing you there at 5PM. I believe that the ship wants you back on board by 7PM for a muster drill at 8PM.

Then you are looking for a taxi at 6:30 PM.........to make sure that you are back on the ship in time.

Well, I think you get the point. Make San Juan a destination, when you have the time to explore.

Enjoy the ship and your cruise! Being your first cruise, there are all kinds of thrills that will fascinate you, just exploring the ship for a few hours, before muster drill, and then it's time to cast off, and be at sea!:)

Rick

We have sailed out of San Juan for our last 5 cruises. We have always arrived a day early in order to spend time in San Juan. With a 1:30 arrival, it will take you at least until 2:30 to 3:00 to get your baggage and a taxi. Go to the ship, check in, have lunch, a drink, and enjoy your time as a first time cruiser. You don't want to rush this experience!!!

The set sail is 8:00 and we love going up to the Viking Crown Lounge to watch the sail-away with a drink. Very relaxing and a great view! We will do this again in March! Enjoy!:)

Muster drill on the Serenade out of San Juan in Feb 2012 was also at 8:00 with check in deadline at 7:00. Seems all the Radiance class ships out of San Juan have the muster later as opposed to Adventure which apparently is at 5:30.

To the OP, as others have said, you won't really have time to visit San Juan. Enjoy all the ship has to offer!

Archived