The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

Vivian Clements:

P1010437_zps1ed3b0d8.jpg

We enjoyed listening to the jazz music from time to time but found other bars we liked better (particularly Michaels and the Molecular Bar) so didn't spend too much time here. The bartender was pretty inept when it came to prepare mixed drinks!! Here are the bar menus for those interested:

I remember seeing her either on the Infinity or Millennium.

Nice easy quasi jazz, but not really my thing. I can see how a lot of people would like her though.

We headed to the main dining room - the Opus - for Muster Drill at 3:30 p.m.

We sat on the upper level and watched a short video safety presentation.

Scott took some photos after the drill; we did not eat there at all this cruise (we usually try to have lunch on a sea day in the MDR but ran out of time). I did speak to a number of people who were very pleased with the food and service, however.

P1010369_zps7d7645af.jpg

P1010367_zpsb7a1f58f.jpg

P1010368_zps54e1f4ba.jpg

Lovely photo's; however these are the best views of the Opus MDR.

Should your table be on the upper level to either side or the very rear of the room, you will often find yourself and your table in a canteen style row, with very little distance between tables to the point where a quiet table for two is an impossibility.

Service and food was hit and miss varying between poor and good, with Carlos from Spain being the best waiter we encountered upstairs in Select.

We had no issues with the wine service, each ordering wine by the glass (cocktails at Qsine are not included in the drinks package, but you can get the sangria by the glass).

Are the Qsine cocktails not available with the Classic Alcohol package or not with the Premium package also - I didn't think the premium package excluded any drinks apart from wines/cocktails above the $12 limit.

Are the Qsine cocktails more expensive than the mixology bars then?

Thanks for reposting the cabin pics link librarylady.

Those bedside tables look much better than the tiny tray ones on the other S class ships.

Did you like the fabric sofa as much as the leather ones? I like the lighter colour of the cream leather, but expect the new ones are more comfortable?

I'm really enjoying your review. I like how you tell it as it really was. Nothing is perfect, but I get the feeling you really, really liked Reflection and the new venues. Do you think you could go back to M class now?

I see what someone said about the rose sculpture in the atrium. Does it look better in real life? It looks to be in a very odd and inconvenient place on your pic.

Oops, too many questions I think :o

Thanks for reposting the cabin pics link librarylady.

Those bedside tables look much better than the tiny tray ones on the other S class ships.

Did you like the fabric sofa as much as the leather ones? I like the lighter colour of the cream leather, but expect the new ones are more comfortable?

I'm really enjoying your review. I like how you tell it as it really was. Nothing is perfect, but I get the feeling you really, really liked Reflection and the new venues. Do you think you could go back to M class now?

I see what someone said about the rose sculpture in the atrium. Does it look better in real life? It looks to be in a very odd and inconvenient place on your pic.

Oops, too many questions I think :o

Thanks so much; I am glad the feeling that Im trying to convey is coming across. I did indeed love the ship but there were a few things that I thought fell short of the mark. Nothing to ruin a cruise by any means but worth noting for others interest and information.

I think it would be a change to go back to M class, but for the right itinerary we would do so. This cruise was definitely more about the ships than the ports for us.

I thought the couch was ok. I only sat on it once I think, but it was slightly less firm than the white pleather variety and probably more practical too. I agree that the white does look nicer.

As for the rose sculpture, it is in a rather odd place but not inconsistent with the integration of art throughout the ship. I don't think anyone thought about people having to dance around it though. There are other examples of form vs function that I will address during my review.

Edited by librarylady19

Thank you, Sandi, for the wonderful review and pictures. My wife and I, we also live in the Chicago suburbs, will be on the Reflection in cabin 2146 this February. Now, we are even more excited about the cruise, especially with the wind chill in the minus range. Bob and Joy

Thank you, Sandi, for the wonderful review and pictures. My wife and I, we also live in the Chicago suburbs, will be on the Reflection in cabin 2146 this February. Now, we are even more excited about the cruise, especially with the wind chill in the minus range. Bob and Joy

indeed. You will love thst cabin. I hope you have Desmond as your steward - superb service!!

Food photos coming soon!!

Sandy, we sailed her 2 weeks before you and without saying it (but I will) you are dead on with your review, especially in Qsine.

I'll skip those food photos since just by looking at them my daily calorie count would indeed increase and that is not good at this point & time. :D

2MC

Sorry to keep everyone hanging....work calls.

When I last left you, we were enjoying a drink in the Ensemble Lounge, listening to the jazz trio when a Lady Gaga lookalike strolled through the Lounge:confused:

We then heard music coming from the Entertainment Court and went to investigate.

There was an unpublished show underway, featuring a multitude of Lady Gagas and Tron-like male dancers.

P1010444_zps3e89342c.jpg

P1010442_zpsb8132803.jpg

It was very cool...however, and this was a problem at other performances too, there was just not enough room for everyone to see the show. Unless you camped out early in some of the prime seating locations (on Decks 3 and 4) it was difficult to see much of anything or you had an odd view from above. Another example of form over function.

Edited by librarylady19

We were still going strong, so off to the Sky Lounge we went and caught the end of the Karaoke show which was followed by dancing to DJ Constantine. It was a lot of fun! Somehow, we never made it back on other nights because there were too many other things we wanted to do :(

I'm posting some pictures of the Sky Lounge, taken during daylight hours here; there have been many comments that the room is now too small, but I didn't feel that way. It was a nice space and the dance floor seemed adequate.

The Elite Captains Club events were held here (we did not attend as we had the premium drink package and the hours weren't that convenient for us). Others who attended such events might have a different perspective.

It was certainly a nice place to visit in the daytime for quiet and views of the sea.

8871d86b2d6d7a678c0439695b719422.jpg

5e9721d95b90fdbe47e005d51c3bd426.jpg

34c6d06e9862842bbe1b60999413e443.jpg

d322f6cf67fcc5c022c89e0890f5abca.jpg

Day 1 of our cruise finally ended at 1:00 a.m. as we returned to our lovely cabin where a freshly turned down bed, pillow chocolates and the Celebrity Today chock full of possibilities for the coming sea day waited....aaah, this is Modern Luxury.

Edited by librarylady19

Day 2 - Sunday - At Sea

Despite taking copious amounts of motion-sickness meds in advance, I still awoke to that dreadful feeling of impending nausea. I learned on this route last year, that the best thing to do is not lay in bed but sit on the balcony and breathe deeply. That seemed to work. I was up quite early so decided to take advantage of the emptiness of the ship and headed to Cafe al Bacio for a bite to eat and drink to calm my stomach. A pot of ginger tea and an almond croissant did the trick.

Tea assortment (note the chocolate box at end of counter - tasty free chocolate squares!)

P1010469_zps27b71046.jpg

P1010470_zps7882a4e4.jpg

P1010138_zpsa5e0497f.jpg

P1010140_zps87a4b129.jpg

I often had my "first breakfast" at Cafe al Bacio and enjoyed the quiet to read and jot some notes for my review. I was pleasantly surprised how empty it was between 7-8 a.m. On past cruises, I've usually ordered capuccinos but discovered the "cafe americano" which is basically watered down espresso was a better way to get a good jolt of caffeine in the morning.

FoodampDrink010_zps6a01631a.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

Day 1 of our cruise finally ended at 1:00 a.m. as we returned to our lovely cabin where a freshly turned down bed, pillow chocolates and the Celebrity Today chock full of possibilities for the coming sea day waited....aaah, this is Modern Luxury.

Sounds like you're right at home already, aboard this ship of Modern Luxury :D

Sky Lounge looks sparkling.

Looking forward to the sea day :)

Wow..day 1!!! This is an amazing review. Thank you so much. We sail on Reflection on March 2nd. I thought I was excited but now I am beyond excited!!! Can't wait to read more.

Hope I'm not going overboard with the details but I know I like these kind of reviews myself.

Seizing the moment, I headed up to the Solarium to enjoy a dip in the pool and hot tub while it was also very sparsely populated.

The Solarium is one of my very favorite features of the S Class ships and this iteration did not disappoint - a lovely space.

I do believe there were extra rows of loungers due to the pool deck being wider.

P1010305_zps8849fbb2.jpg

P1010304_zps69105791.jpg

P1010301_zpsadd7072e.jpg

P1010306_zpse5cb3940.jpg

I even got one of the coveted cabanas all to myself.

A note here about chair hogs: I did see some of this but not to the extent I have witnessed on other cruises. The bigger problem was people leaving mounds of used towels on loungers and walking off. I realize we are on vacation, but it's courteous to put the towels in the bins so other people know the chairs are unoccupied (I removed them myself more than once).

I overheard two people complaining that their items were removed from the chairs and I had to bite my tongue not to interject a choice comment there:)

Edited by librarylady19