Good gay friendly hotel near Harwich England

Luke916

We are looking to do a cruise out of London in June, really out of Harwich, and instead of staying in London we are looking to stay closer to Harwich. Does anyone know of a good hotel, gay friendly of course, that would be nice to stay at? Only thing we are looking for would be that the hotel has air conditioning because we know from the past that it still can be quite hot there in summer.

Thanks, Jamey

Hi Jamey - that could be difficult - especially the aircon! Harwich is a bit of a backwater compared to London. It is quite hard to find aircon in many hotels outside of the main cities in the UK.

Have you thought about how you are going to travel to Harwich? If you are hiring a car then you could consider something like a Holiday Inn in either Colchester or Ipswich.

In Harwich itself, there is a Premier Inn, which is a bit like a Holiday Inn Express.

Good luck with your search - hopefully someone who lives near Harwich or has sailed from there may be able to give you a recommendation.

• 1 month later...

You can try "The Pier" hotel located in old Harwich ... as the name suggests opposite the harbour pier ... great views.

It is a four star "boutique" esque hotel part of the renowned Milsom Hotel chain ... and is deemed to have one of the finest fish restaurants around ...

You can try "The Pier" hotel located in old Harwich ... as the name suggests opposite the harbour pier ... great views.

It is a four star "boutique" esque hotel part of the renowned Milsom Hotel chain ... and is deemed to have one of the finest fish restaurants around ...

My partner and I will be staying at The Pier the night before our TA this fall. It looks charming from their web site, and upon booking I received a wonderfully friendly email from them. Obviously, I haven't stayed there and can't speak to it personally, but folks on our (main) Roll Call have stayed there before and are staying there again. Also, it has good reviews on Trip Advisor. It's just for the night, and our preference is not to travel from London the day of embarkation. (And we are going to eat in their restaurant.)

Harwich is very small, and it looks like in the few hours we'll have in the afternoon, we can take in the old town. But certainly there doesn't seem to be any reason to spend more time there that I've been able to see.

• 2 months later...

I agree re not taking the train from London the day of the cruise. If you stay overnight in Harwich you can just check out of the hotel and go directly to the ship. Four of us are booked at the Pier Hotel the night before our Aug. 16 Celebrity Infinity cruise. It looks like a nice boutique hotel and has excellent Trip Advisor reviews) We booked online on the Milsom (parent company) website and got a special internet rate of GBP127 including breakfast. We were going to try the Tower Hotel (looked very charming) but it had only one room left. If you take the train from London (from Liverpool Street Station) you want to get off in Harwich Town (there are 3 stops in Harwich). Then take a taxi the short distance to the hotel. The day of the cruise you could even take the train from Harwich Town to Harwich International (where the ship docks) for GBP1.50 to GBP2.20. It only takes five minutes but saves higher taxi fare.

My partner and I will be staying at The Pier the night before our TA this fall. It looks charming from their web site, and upon booking I received a wonderfully friendly email from them. Obviously, I haven't stayed there and can't speak to it personally, but folks on our (main) Roll Call have stayed there before and are staying there again. Also, it has good reviews on Trip Advisor. It's just for the night, and our preference is not to travel from London the day of embarkation. (And we are going to eat in their restaurant.)

Harwich is very small, and it looks like in the few hours we'll have in the afternoon, we can take in the old town. But certainly there doesn't seem to be any reason to spend more time there that I've been able to see.

We booked there as well the night before. Have heard basically all the same things you have and decided it would be best for us as well. Hope to see you there! Jamey and Marc

Archived