17th St Bridge Walkable?

BillOh

Are there sidewalks on the 17th ST Bridge? We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and considering walking a few places in the area.

Absolutely!

There's a walkway on the south side of the bridge which will give you a view of Port Everglades. Be sure and take your camera because it is quite a view from there.

Are there sidewalks on the 17th ST Bridge? We are staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 and considering walking a few places in the area.

My wife and I have a tradition of walking up to the top of the 17th street bridge and checking out all the ships before heading to the port to embark. It's uphill, but a doable walk from the Hyatt Pier 66, Hilton Ft Lauderdale Marina hotel, the Renaissance hotel, the Embassy Suites, Hyatt Place, Extended Stay hotel, and the Holiday Inn Express. If you are willing to walk a mile, you can do it from the Sheraton Beach Resort and even the Bahia Mar Resort.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Thanks everyone. The distance should be no problem for us, I wanted to make sure we wouldn't become roadkill the day before a cruise.

That sounds really nice. I'll have to try it next time.

Make sure you bring your camera! One walk we like to do on the evening before our cruise (like Sat evenings) -- walk through the neighborhood just east and south of the Pier Sixty Six Hotel and head towards the beach area where Port Everglades meets the Atlantic ocean. From here, you can watch all the ships depart. If you have ever left from Ft Lauderdale, on a cruise, you might remember the high rise condos to your left as you leave the port. Just past the condos is a bunch of rocks that separate the beach from the waterway. Great place to take photos and wave the the people onboard.

About a 15 minute walk from the Pier 66.

Click on the photos below to enlarge.

Kel:)

IMG_3601.jpg.21bf92173531a53bf7096d33350f21e7.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg.a6dc7675fcc3dea39bc3445c479a72a6.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg.125327c2127d0961ed876ff4602dacb2.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was just looking through threads I created and had to come back and relate what happened on this bridge.

My 2013 Allure cruise had a great roll call. Many of us stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 and we had a pre-cruise dinner at the Bimini Boat yard which we loved. It was almost a mile walk on a beautiful evening Some of our group drove, some walked. We were part of the walkers. On the way back we were walking up the hill back toward the Hyatt and another group was walking the opposite way, towards us. Suddenly two 20 something guys came from behind the other group riding bicycles very fast! Most of us got out of the way, but the lead cyclist ended up slamming into one of our party driving her backwards and she split her head open on the pavement. The young men, South African tourist had rented bicycles nearby and they were old single speed bikes with Coaster brakes that I don't think they knew how to use.

From that point on, I have to say the local emergency services were far below impressive. The 911 operator was semi-clueless. In my review I mentioned this and offended a reader who was a 911 operator, but I'd bet if people pulled the tapes of my call, 99% would agree with me that they were less than efficient to put it politely. The EMS/fire team wasn't a whole lot better. I'm a person who normally supports my Police/Fire/Emergency workers, but I didn't see a whole lot of competence anywhere from the operator, EMS, or the local ER. I'm being kind. The lady who was injured wouldn't be nearly as kind. She ended up making the cruise and having a decent time, but had complications lasting nearly a year later. She is glad she had the cruise insurance.

All that said I would/will stay there again and walk the area. loved it.

Greetings

Everyone just remember that this is a drawbridge. It opens on the hour and half-hour to allow boat traffic to pass. Just take the schedule into account when you plan your walk. Not a big deal, but just something to be aware of.

Good Sailing

Tom

Wow! That is awful! I've seen many, many situations where tourists were extremely rude and reckless. Always be aware of your surroundings. People on vacation tend to throw caution to the wind.

As for EMS, I have a couple of friends that work EMS and they are very competent.

Approx. how long does it take to walk from Embassy Suites to the beach where people go to watch the ships leave Port Everglades?

It is almost exactly a mile from the Hyatt Pier 66, so that is 20 minutes at a leisurely walk for me

Wow! That is awful! I've seen many, many situations where tourists were extremely rude and reckless. Always be aware of your surroundings. People on vacation tend to throw caution to the wind.

As for EMS, I have a couple of friends that work EMS and they are very competent.

As most are. What I did see that day would definitely make you question this group. (Asking a person with an open head wound and concussion to climb over a 3ft double wide guard rail with rusty edges to get into an ambulance is absurd under any circumstances.